Question of the week: What's your favourite quote?

Sign in to follow this  
James Good

Question of the week: Where do you see yourself in 20 years time?

I want to make you all think this week.

How often do you close your eyes and truly visualise the life you'll have in the future?

If you haven't done it before, I want you to follow these steps now:

1. Get yourself in a comfortable position in a distraction-free environment e.g. bedroom, office chair etc
  2. Close your eyes and let your mind clear
  3. For the next few minutes, I want you to picture yourself 20 years in the future.

Here are some questions for you to consider:

Where are you living? Who are you with? What are you doing? What does your kitchen look like when you wake up in the morning and go downstairs? What job do you have? Do you have children? Are you wealthy?

I want you to get specific.

Remember, you don't have to post it here if it's too personal for you.

That's perfectly okay.

But for those that are fine with it, feel free to share a few things that you see in your future 10 years down the line.

Here's what I see:

When I wake up, I'm next to a beautiful woman in a large contemporary house set within woodlands, not far from a lake. I make my way downstairs, have a coffee, and work out in my home gym overlooking the beautiful forest vistas.

I'm getting ready to go for a hike with my wife and 3 kids, where we'll explore the landscape and take pictures of the wildlife together.

Then, in the evening, I'll head to my recording studio or play the grand piano in my living room, and work on some music. Perhaps even the violin.

Finally, I'll relax with a glass of wine on my balcony with my wife as we talk about sweet nothings.

When I picture this I can see it in so much detail, it's almost as if I can smell the forest pines and taste the morning coffee, and hear my children's laughter.

Why am I getting you to do this?

I'm a firm believer in the power of visualisation.

What you think, you become.

If you can picture where you want to end up, all you need to do is work a tiny amount towards that goal every day and you'll be there in 20 years (or less).

I'm looking forward to what you all have to say!

Nice one, haven't done this in a while. For me its better to see 10 years into the future, I already have a fixed 5 year direction, but not a 10 year vision.

Here's what I see:

I wake up, and kiss my wife (Which is my gf now, and I do this every morning already), I sit on the bed and see the dim blue of the early morning sky through the window, I feel glad, and excited. I look back at my still sleeping wife, then I get up and go to the kitchen and start making us some breakfast (as I do every day already). My wife comes to greet me before heading to the bathroom to get herself ready for work. As I finish setting the table she comes to join me and we eat and drink tea while the sun rises. Then We get dressed, and head to work.
I work for fun as the owner of my own farming company, In the mean time I keep a lucrative investment routine. I feel at ease as I have enough money saved to secure my own old age, and that of my parents. (Which is part of my current direction). In the afternoon I meet with friends to talk about our plans, and how our lives changed for the better after we quit escaping to games. And have a laugh at how difficult it seemed at the moment. 
But here we are, we made it.

Thank for the experience man.

Cheers!

Edited by dahankus
  • Like 1

Hey, well something a little different then my normal philosophy of life. I try to not have a clear future in mind normally, because I believe that as long as you make the most out of every Moment (with your Goals in mind), life will bring you where you'll need to go - often in a crazy unforeseeable way. But I'll just give it a try .

I wake up being hugged by my gf and licked all over my face by my pet dog - a german shepard or something like a corgi. Time to get up, prepare breakfast together: tea, toasted bread and some eggs. Also feed the dog. Then get out for a run through the forest next to our quite small but cozy house and a round of fetch or tug of war. After all that running around and rolling through the dirt I take a shower, put on some comfy clothes and start working on some freelance work - mostly leveldesign stuff - sketching and blocking. At About 1 pm I start preparing lunch - something simple but tasty like a salad. After lunch it's Training time with my best bud. Afterwards, back to work until my girlfriend comes home from work.

The door opens, I climb down from my "Office", kiss her and we start cooking. Candles are lit, the fireplace is crackling softly. We enjoy the candlelight dinner together and finally we enjoy the evening either dancing, playing some Music on the rooftop or all three of us cuddled together in front of the fireplace.

• Like 1

This is an excellent exercise, @James Good. I would highly encourage you to pose more questions in the future that ask something actionable of us.

I have some trouble to visualize my own future, probably because it's not a habit that I've really worked at. More specifically, I have trouble visualizing my future in first person, which I think is an incredibly important part of the process. However, I'd love to share what I come up with. I'll edit my post later to add it.

• Like 1

I like this. I already kind of do this... it has been more of a fantasy but now that I'm starting to make steps to turn my life around, perhaps it might actually happen. 

So, I definitely want to live in a house somewhere out in the country- I'm thinking Northern California. I know it's a lot to wish for but might as well dream big right? I wake up in the morning with some beautiful girl. I don't really care about marriage and I'm not interested in having children, but it would be nice to have a girlfriend. We go for a walk in the woods or by the beach, perhaps go fishing, then come home and cook some delicious food with fresh ingredients from the garden. I spend most of the day painting and playing music (my dream job) in my home studio. In the evening as the sun sets (I always like to see the sunset) we go sailing or ride horses. Ah yes, sounds pretty wonderful.

So I've been trying to visualize my life every morning for the past few days and I always find myself getting completely distracted by other thoughts. Do you guys have any tips for focusing on the visualization?