Jump to content

Question of the week: What are you grateful for?

James Good

Question of the week: Did you learn any new skills or hobbies after quitting gaming?

Recommended Posts

One of the biggest issues when quitting video games is finding something to fill the void left by playing.

If you weren't aware there is a hobby tool available on Game Quitters! Click here.

Personally,  after I quit gaming I became a photographer, web designer, learnt the violin and improved my singing, started learning German, read more books, learnt to write better content, and also started taking my Golf a lot more seriously.

It might seem like a lot, but I've always been someone that's pretty good at a lot of things, as opposed to delving into one thing in extreme detail.

If I try to limit myself to one thing I just become bored, and that's okay. I used to beat myself up about not becoming an expert at something!

So let me know, what new skills or hobbies have you learnt or tried to learn since quitting gaming?

Also, is there anything you'd like to take up but for some reason haven't? If so, put it down below!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd really like to learn Danish, some programming and UI/UX Design theory. 

I'd also like to get more outdoor hobbies like hiking or rock climbing going. I currently attend the gym for strength training though so I'll have to figure out how to fit all that exercise together.

Lastly, I really want to go to some electronic music festivals! It's something I've always thought about but never really done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to read more. I love reading, but I loved games more, so yeah, I didn't read much, and I want to mend change that.

I always wanted to learn to play an instrument, started piano many years ago, but then again, games took priority.

I love working with my hands, I hope I find something that grasps my attention in this area.

Overall I want to find activities that don't involve a damn computer. As a programmer, computers take most of my time, and im very tired of it all.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Parkour, Historical Fencing, Climbing, Drawing and Painting, 3D-modelling and -animation, UI/UX design, Programming in C#, C++ and Java, just to name a few. 

I also tried out a lot of activities, that I didn't stick with - playing meditation flute being one of those - that I want to get back to later, but don't have the capacities to keep doing atm.

Also, I plan on learning carpentry once I finish my BA and MA in Mediadesign and -technology. And then use that knowledge to fullfill my dream of converting a van into a camper van.

 

I think learning something new every now and then is really important. Stopping to learn new stuff is like a shortcut into a depressed state for me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ElectroNugget said:

I'd really like to learn Danish, some programming and UI/UX Design theory. 

I'd also like to get more outdoor hobbies like hiking or rock climbing going. I currently attend the gym for strength training though so I'll have to figure out how to fit all that exercise together.

Lastly, I really want to go to some electronic music festivals! It's something I've always thought about but never really done. 

Learning a language is a great idea! And I'm in the same boat with the rock climbing. I have no idea how to fit it around strength training and everything else I do. 

Sounds awesome!

14 hours ago, dahankus said:

I want to read more. I love reading, but I loved games more, so yeah, I didn't read much, and I want to mend change that.

I always wanted to learn to play an instrument, started piano many years ago, but then again, games took priority.

I love working with my hands, I hope I find something that grasps my attention in this area.

Overall I want to find activities that don't involve a damn computer. As a programmer, computers take most of my time, and im very tired of it all.

 

2

There're so many 'I'd love to do that, but gaming...' stories from people, it's crazy. I was the same.

It can be difficult when you spend all day on your computer, I struggle with that as well. 

I've found being mindful of your time and aware of how much time you're spending on the computer compared to other activities is a big first step.

Are there any activities you think you'd like to take up that involve something more practical?

13 hours ago, Philipp said:

Parkour, Historical Fencing, Climbing, Drawing and Painting, 3D-modelling and -animation, UI/UX design, Programming in C#, C++ and Java, just to name a few. 

I also tried out a lot of activities, that I didn't stick with - playing meditation flute being one of those - that I want to get back to later, but don't have the capacities to keep doing atm.

Also, I plan on learning carpentry once I finish my BA and MA in Mediadesign and -technology. And then use that knowledge to fullfill my dream of converting a van into a camper van.

 

I think learning something new every now and then is really important. Stopping to learn new stuff is like a shortcut into a depressed state for me.

That might be the broadest list of activities I've ever seen 🤣 

Converting a van would be an incredible experience, definitely something I'd love to do one day!

And you're right, at least for me anyway. I need to keep learning new things. I almost envy people that can get into something so deeply for years and years, would be nice haha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, James Good said:

And you're right, at least for me anyway. I need to keep learning new things. I almost envy people that can get into something so deeply for years and years, would be nice haha!

Yeah, a lot of people think that it's better to just focus on one thing and become an expert in that. In general I agree and envy those people too, but a workaround that helped me to push through those losing interest phases was to learn something similar which can also be useful in the activity I want to but can't solely focus on. For example, learning climbing when being stuck with parkour helped me a lot with wall control and now I can learn new (wall-focused) skills in parkour again. Those skill on the other hand seem to also help in climbing. --> Fun-fact: You can actually see influences from other sports in someones climbingstyle.

Same applies to drawing and animation. When I last lost interest in drawing for some time I switched to animation. The new knowledge about dynamic posing in drawing really shows in my animations.

In Short: yeah, even if people like us can't stick with one activity I think working on different activities that focus on similar principles can help achieve mastery nonetheless.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am still within my first 30 days of quitting so I haven't explored too much. Things did shift that I didn't expect. 

Thanks to my Mom I picked up a sketch pad and pencil again. I been dabbling with sketching which I haven't done in literal years. 

I have always believed I was important due to my computer skills, but lately things have been changing. I rediscovered I am an Empath, basically I have a strong sensitivity to other's emotions. Mainly when people are in pain. I realized I been sensitive since I was a little boy, and I been making peace with it. As one person put it, I felt like an alien to everyone around me because of it. Tech field they don't care if you are empathetic, they want you to push people into a solution as fast as you can. This has always a point of contention since I got into this field.

I been stepping away from doing tech stuff and finding I becoming more of a care taker. We adopted two more cats and the challenge has pushing me to take on things I normally would ignore or avoid. It has been tough and stressing, but at the end of the day I feel good that I did the right thing. 

I have had a lot of head knowledge and understanding of theology(Reformed and Orthodoxy Christianity). I kept thinking I been called to preach and teach which is something I can do and have done. Because of how I handled some teachings, I am taking a step back. Like I have to take a step back and really take the steps I need to have a healthy faith. Lord knows if this will happen at all.

I am really curious what month number two will bring. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am on a detox and within 30 days too, but already found something new and refreshing for me.

I've been trying to complete 90 Day Detox since the last year and couple of things really helped me. I took up archery. I used to be fascinated with fantasy-based video games and wanted to experience something my characters do. It turned out unexpectedly. I chased the fantasy, but met fantastic people instead. They made me want stay in the real world and their vision was so different. Also this is a perfect to keep one fit and nice way to reduce stress (especially if you try to imagine shooting your enemies in the face). 

I am learning copywriting  as well as creative writing. Gaming castrates all the creativity you have. It became easier for me to write. Words just appear naturally. I want to write a novel one day  but will see how it goes. 

And sketching, of course. This one helps to relax, to get creative juice flowing and it is not time-consuming. It teaches you how to pursue a smaller goals while building a habit and developing new skill. It is exciting and satisfying and everyone can do this. That's a deal.

As for the future, I have always wanted to learn how to code, though this field is a terra incognita for me. I have to put it off for the time being, maybe till summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×