James Good

Question of the week: What's your reason for quitting gaming?

On this question of the week, we're going to get a little bit deeper into your 'why'.

I firmly believe that in order for you to be able to commit to something, and follow through with a goal, you need a solid idea of why you're doing it in the first place.

If you want to lose 20 pounds or run a marathon, learn an instrument or make more friends... Why?

Really delving deep into the question of why is a great way to learn more about yourself, and even uncover something new that perhaps you didn't know was there before.

So for this week, I want to know why you're quitting gaming.

For me, I had a vision of how I wanted my life to be. If I look into the future I see myself in a beautiful house with an amazing family, living the life of my dreams and being genuinely happy.

I knew that I needed to do a lot of work over the next 10 years to turn that dream into a reality.

By working backwards from that vision, I realised that there's no way I'm going to be able to achieve everything I want to in life if I'm playing video games for 50 hours a week. Heck, there's no way I'll be able to accomplish anything at all if I'm gaming for 50 hours a week.

Therefore, the only possible solution was for me to quit gaming.

I'd quit on and off for the last 4 years, but it wasn't until I quit 7 months ago that it really felt final. Everything had come together for me to start turning my dream into a reality, and it was time for me to commit.

I'm looking forward to hearing what your guys' reasons are!

• Like 3

I got a glimpse of what life could be like, when I spent a few weekends with a group of strangers. And I saw something in them that, at that point, I haven't seen for a looooong time. They were happy, motivated, proud, sometimes silly but most of all, they felt alive. At that time I still wanted to see the world burn. I hated society and people in general at that point in my life. The people that surrounded me, only caring about money, talking shit of others (as long as they weren't around of course), living a live they weren't happy with and so on (you get the picture). But that three weekends literally changed my life. I wanted to become like this group of people.

So, I started working towards that, and one of the steps needed was exchanging gaming for something that made me truly happy.

• Like 1

For the longest time, I've been a perfectionist; a procrastinator. Anything that could be a distraction would be. While I'm still unsure if I'm going to give up gaming as a whole, I can't let it hold me back anymore. That's my big why.

Working the night shift these past 3 months has been killing me, but if i think about it on a deeper level I've been working the night shift for a couple years now, and not even getting paid for it (I've made like maybe 60-80 dollars gaming in 2 years, and I know that's on the high end).

Working a full-time job for free? Screw that.

If I'm not quitting for good, I better have my priorities straight af

Edited by JPAO
needed a conclusion
  • Like 2

I have many reasons. One of which is fear. Fear of waking up too late, and not have enough time to do anything else of meaning. Fear of waking up too late to change. This fear is one of the forces that drives me to better myself. Im 33, and if I don't do this right now, it will be almost impossible later on.

Fear is a strong motivator. But it cannot be the only one.

• Like 2

For me it was a f*** it moment where I was commuting home and thought like so many times how many productive years I have lost because of this "hobby" found this website by accident and said to myself why not? Let's do it! ^^

• Like 1

Excessive gaming is not the issue, but it is one hell of a toxic symptom. I know that as long as I play video games, I cannot be happy, no matter how 'happy' they might make me in the short-term. It always leads to depression. Always, without fail. And there is absolutely no such thing as 'playing for a couple of hours'. It ALWAYS spirals into 16-hours per day sessions, lasting from a few setback days up to months of depression. So STOP. It's poison.

I want to live, I don't want to die. And for me, games are death. It's mental death. It's choosing to numb myself, rather than stay present. It's choosing to immerse myself in a fake world, rather than stay conscious of the real one. It's choosing to run away from problems, instead of facing them. It's choosing to live other people's and characters' lives, rather than living my own. It's choosing to sit on a couch and consume easy pleasure, rather than pushing myself to become stronger and happier. It's choosing to chase fake goals and instant gratification rather than overcoming real obstacles and pursuing goals that align with my values. It's choosing not living rather than living. 

I don't want to wake up, suddenly be 30, be alone, working at proverbial mcdonalds and be depressed. To be honest, I don't even think I would hold a job at McDonalds if I'm gaming in my life. I am talented, ambitious, smart, energetic and creative. I have infinite potential, big ambitions, and to waste all that time and energy on gaming would be foolish, cowardly, selfish and disgraceful. 

That's my reason. 

Edited by JustTom
  • Like 3

Why do I want to quit?

My life never made sense to me. When all my friends would be excelling at school or going into their career field. I would be in a room playing games constantly, never taking any risks or getting out to find myself. Over the last 12 years by the grace of God I made a lot of progress, yet new challenges arose to revealed old problems.

My social skills are minimum at best, I am friendly and very helpful but learning to engage and develop relationships is very hard for me. Half the time I see people as objects to avoid. My wife who was very social has been hurt by others over the years and now she has followed in my footsteps. She not nearly as social as she used to be, gaming in her own way. She was my bridge to socialize with others. 

With the lose of our home church years ago and most recently church home group. Now we are so disconnected and so isolated. 

We are both approaching 40 years old and I just can't see myself living this life style anymore. It is so selfish and empty. Both her parents and mine are getting older, where we had all the time in the world, now we are learning that time is precious. I gave enough of my life to a fake life, to digging my head in the sand. 11 years ago I jumped on a plane and moved to other part of the country. My mom looked good for her age. This year she moved out here and she got old. I don't want to lose any more years to my selfishness and fears. 

I am quitting video games because things gotta change. I need to grow up. 

• Like 1

I was aware and ashamed of having no interest in anything in life outside of gaming. I knew I wasn't utilizing my potential. I was sick of my mind being completely obsessed with gaming. I had no idea where I was heading with my life and I couldn't stand it.

• Like 1

I quit gaming cause it took my life away. My time, my friends, my possibilities for creating a life with a partner in my 30s. At one point it was the decision between ruining everything and comitting suicide one day or saving myself from myself. Sounds drastic but thats how it was. I would never want to go back to this time cause last year was one of the hardest years of my life.  374 days without gaming :1351_muscle_tone2:

• Like 2

I quit because I was tired of toxic community and I didn't want to waste my time anymore, to escape into virtual world. At some point  I've just had enough of repetitive numbing game process, stupid jokes, long pointless streams, I turned the game off and deleted it. I relapsed along the way, and it gave me mixed feelings, but I am much happier and healthier now. I have goals, I keep working and improving my life every day and I take good care of myself. 

• Like 3

Actually, I got one more reason. I want to finish the detox and quit so that I can show that it's possible even for a hard case, and then to help people in trouble do the same thing. 

• Like 3

I am new here. Looking at all the replies, I echoed and added the following reasons

1. help myself first and then help others

2. reclaim my valuable time after work for self-improvement, my family, and my faith

3. do everything calmly because there is so much time freed from gaming!!!!

• Like 2

On 4/4/2019 at 4:36 AM, dahankus said:

I have many reasons. One of which is fear. Fear of waking up too late, and not have enough time to do anything else of meaning. Fear of waking up too late to change. This fear is one of the forces that drives me to better myself. Im 33, and if I don't do this right now, it will be almost impossible later on.

Fear is a strong motivator. But it cannot be the only one.

I second this one! For me it's the fear that one day I'll wake up realizing the best years of my life are over, and that I missed my chance to realize my full potential.

Edited by Deku
  • Like 1

If I could reply to everyone I would (there're a lot more posts than I thought 🤣)

But I love everyone's responses, it's amazing how varied they all are, yet all of them still massively influential.

I hope it has given you some reassurance as to why you're on this journey, and to the kind of person you want to become when you make it to the other side.

Gaming is one of many things that tempt me, saying 'do/play/watch this, it will satisfy your needs!' and while I'm playing it does feel like I'm satisfied but afterward that feeling very quickly fades away, leaving a bigger hole in my heart than before. So instead, I want to spend my time on something that fully satisfies; something that is eternal! So for me, I want to grow in my relationship with God and spend more time with Him!