NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Hello everyone!

Hi all!
I'm 20,  my name is Alexandr, i'm from Saint Petersburg, Russia. I played computer games almost constantly since august of 2014. It was at that time when I installed DotA 2 on my laptop. I played a lot of dota for like 4 years.. Because of this in the summer of 2016, I disgustingly passed the school final exams. I did not go to the college that I wanted and went to where I was taken to the paid department.
But even in that college i still continued playing DotA and sometimes Heartstone. Nevertheless I finished the first year quite successfully somehow. But things got much worse in the second half of the second year..  I constantly played until 4-6 am every day, missed all my lections and seems to have lost interest in learning in principle. By the end of the year, after trying to pass tests and exams, I had about 12 academic debts. I was able to agree in the dean's office to take a year break to hand over all my debts. But since the beginning of September I have only passed 2 of my 12 debts. 

As you could guess nothing really changed and I still played a lot of games, watched Twitch streams and Youtube videos and spend a lot of time in my laptop for no reason.. But still this year I only played in Hearthstone, but anyways.
Now i actually decided to quit. Currently not playing only for 2 days, it feels not so good actually.. Very often i want if not play, then at least to watch some stream on Twitch or something like that. 
I was very inspired by Cam's work and now I really want to change everything in my life.
I used to be a professional swimmer, I was constantly the best in class at school until I met DotA 2. 
Now i hope that i will pass all my debts till end of June, and will continue my college education in September. I also want to go swimming regularly again and maybe find some other hobbies instead of playing.
Love you all guys and wish u good luck!
P.S. I'm really sorry for my low english level :(

• Like 2

Hi Alex! It is remarkable that you have the courage to change your life in such a way. It's perfectly normal that you crave games now, so it's important to actively choose new ways to spend your free time- you don't want to end up watching YT for 6 hours a day. I'm sure you won't regret this. Whatever you do, don't go back to games- you see that they were taking your life away. Feel free to write about any problems you might have during this process, that's what this community is for.

And don't be so harsh on your English level, your post was totally understandable, even though I noticed a few Russianisms :^)

5 hours ago, mattso said:

Hi Alex! It is remarkable that you have the courage to change your life in such a way. It's perfectly normal that you crave games now, so it's important to actively choose new ways to spend your free time- you don't want to end up watching YT for 6 hours a day. I'm sure you won't regret this. Whatever you do, don't go back to games- you see that they were taking your life away. Feel free to write about any problems you might have during this process, that's what this community is for.

And don't be so harsh on your English level, your post was totally understandable, even though I noticed a few Russianisms :^)

Hi mattso! Thank you very much for your words and advice, i really appreciate it)

Hi Alex!

I'm also new to this forum.

Listen I'm 32 years old and I was addicted for a very long time. Most of the time there is a reason why you get addicted to something. I could tell you my story. But you need to find yours. Games are build to make you addicted,

It's based on the simplest methods of behavioral psychology if you want to have a good and interesting read i suggest you read this: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131494/behavioral_game_design.php

This guy here also explains why it makes you so addicted in a very easy way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g79dWuqXe5o

Listen, I'm not saying that gaming is all bad but there is a reason why it is making you addicted. I do not know anything about you, but from my experience I know that gaming does distract you in such a way that people forget to reflect about theirself. Gaming is often used as a way to jump in another world, a world that let's you forget abour the problems and struggles of your life and this can "take" your pain away (thats what happend to me). The thing is it just hides the pain as long as you play. But it will strike back one day. Trust me you do not want to know how that is.

So my advice for you is, and please do not understand me wrong, i'm not saying that your struggles are the same as the ones i mentioned above. But reflect on yourself, ask you questions like:

Why do I game?

Is it fun for me or just distracting me?

Do i feel fullfilled after that?

Do i feel like something is missing when i'm not gaming and if yes what is it?

What did happen that i got so addicted? 

From what am i trying to run away?

You need to find your own questions.

What i'm trying to say is that it's not only about finding new hobbies, it's about finding the root that caused the problem in the first place.

Find the answer to that and everything else will just adjust itself.

You seem to be a very nice guy with lot of passion. 

Go back to find yourself to find who you are. Sometimes we need to make a step backwards and look at the situation from a new perspective to find the answer. Be not afraid you seem to be strong. I'm pretty sure you will find it.

All the best 

Patrick