James Good

Vote now! Have your say on future community events!

Book Club, creative challenges and more - Vote now!  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in a Game Quitters Book club? (1x a week, mix of self help and business books, you'd read an average of 5 pages a day, based on forum/goodreads)

• Definitely! Where do I sign up?
    • Maybe. It depends on the books, and what the format is.
    • I'd sign up but then lose interest after a couple of weeks.
    • Not at all.
  2. 2. If you answered yes to question 1, what kind of books would you want to read? (Choose all that apply)

• Self-Help/Mindset
    • Thought-provoking
    • Fiction + fantasy
    • A mix of everything
  3. 3. If I set up and ran monthly challenges around creative topics e.g. writing, photography, music, coding, art etc would you be interested? The goal would be to improve skills, keep you accountable, and create something great yourself.

• Heck yeah!
    • Heck, maybe?
    • Nope.
    • I want more information.

I've got a few ideas for regular events on the forums, and need your guys' input on them all!

Firstly, a weekly book club ran by yours truly. The basic structure would be:

- We all read 1 chapter of the book a week (roughly 25-30 pages)

- I'll post a summary on the forum, and ask you guys 3 questions about the chapter. Also, I'd get you to share your opinions on the chapter and one key takeaway that you read.

The first book would be Atomic Habits by James Clear. But, I'd most likely stick to self-help/mindset books, as I think it would give us the most value. Let me know if this is something you'd be interested in!

Next up, is Creative Corner!

Your one-stop-shop for all things creative. Whether you're an artist, writer, musician, dancer, poet, journalist, filmmaker, photographer, even a programmer, you'll find something for you.

Basically, we'd have dedicated sections for each thing. And I'd do my best to maintain weekly/monthly challenges, competitions, and events for you guys in each community. For example, a 10-day photography challenge, or a sketch a day, or write a short story in 2 weeks, a hackathon event, the possibilities are endless!

It would be aimed at anyone who just has an interest in the topic or those who want to build a habit or even more advanced people who just want to do more and share their stuff.

I'm fairly knowledgeable in most of the topics, so there might also be the possibility of something like "beginner to pro" resources for photography, writing, coding etc.

Again, let me know what you all think, and comment down below if there's more stuff you'd like to add! Thanks for reading.

• Like 4

Also, let me know if you'd be interested in a similar thing but devoted to active/outdoor pursuits such as strength training, diet, running, hiking, camping, climbing, sports and much more!

Hey everyone!

FIrst, bumping the thread.

Second, I'm going to outline a few of the ideas I have for the creative corner, and what it means going forward in the forum.

Photography:

As an avid photographer myself with a good amount of both amateur and professional experience, I thought it would be a great idea to introduce something like this to the forums. A place for me to help new and existing photographers learn the fundamentals, learn how to go from hobbyist to pro, and even building upon current experience and taking your photography to the next level.

I'd love to do some kind of 14 or 30-day challenge. As well as a crash course in photography for beginners. The crash course would likely be a pdf or some guides/videos to watch and read, but I'm still tinkering with this idea. I'd also like to get the #lifeaftergaming hashtag going on Instagram, FB and Twitter for people to start documenting their experience after quitting games.

The challenges would take place perhaps a few times a year, maybe more for the shorter challenges. I'd set out a daily topic, and you guys have to take, say, 3 photos in different styles around that topic. Then, we'd post them and discuss them, critiquing each other's work and so on. I'd also hold you accountable to posting once the challenge starts.

Art:

There are a bunch of things you can do here. Similar to the photography challenge we can do 10-30 day events, as well as daily doodles, competitions, and beginner guides. However, I'm a terrible artist so this may take a bit more time, haha!

Music:

I've been a musician for over 13 years, and have had a huge amount of experience writing, recording, performing, and teaching music. Whether it's guitar, piano, singing, violin, mixing and mastering tracks, bass or drums or whatever. I'd love to do something music related.

We could do a songwriting challenge over 10 days, or how to turn music into a habit after quitting gaming. Could do something about getting into the industry if people would be interested.

It would also just be a place for current musicians to showcase their work, and get feedback on whatever they need.

Writing:

Loads of things to do here. Again, got a good amount of experience writing, and would love to get you all into it too, as writing is such an important skill that everyone should learn. Some of the ideas I have are; write a short story in 2 weeks, how to write an ebook, write 200 words a day, how to write for different things such as blogs, fantasy, articles etc, writing poetry, breaking down famous author's writing styles, how to overcome writer's block, and loads more. 

Again, a place to share what you're working on and get advice/feedback.

Coding:

6 months ago I knew absolutely nothing about coding, and I hated it with a passion after a bad experience in University. Fast forward to now and I'm knowledgeable in HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and Wordpress, and am also a professional Web Developer. I stay away from back end stuff, though, so if that's your jam then I'm sorry!

I could help people get into the industry, teaching you how to learn effectively, give courses on design and functionality. We could also run hackathon-style events where you guys build apps, websites, projects etc in a certain time frame. 

Although I'm not experienced with much outside Front-end and WordPress, I'd love to showcase all types of coding and programming. Whether you're an app developer, web designer, CompSci student or whatever (Sorry, no game devs), then there'll be a place for you here. I'd also like to feature some friends from the industry, to give you advice on either breaking into the field, learning to code/develop/program, and much more.

Miscellaneous: 

There are a few things I couldn't find a category for, such as learning languages, designing board games and playing stuff like D&D (I'm a DM and would love to give advice do something in this area but I have no idea what), dancing, and cooking.

I'm pretty experienced with cooking, but I have no idea how I could get it work in the forum format.

So, that's pretty much it for now! Let me know what you all think, I'd love to hear your feedback. Cheers.

• Like 2

I have some experience with cooking as well haha (It might be my job shhhhhh) but I know there are some forums where people post pictures and recipes and kind of just smile/enjoy the wonders of a global community: so much different foooood.

I do think being more able to freely talk about whatever in an accessible manner would be nice, just a little wary of people becoming to invested in the internet side of things, almost like gaming, just invested in getting likes or the next 'level'. Social media seems like a giant video game to me honestly.

• Like 2

I have some experience in a lot of creative hobbies too, but unfortunately the brain tricks you into taking the easier way to satisfaction. Months pass, you look at yourself and feel like you wasted time not doing anything creative. I think lots of gamers have awesome, useful and creative skills but tend to waste a lot of time on games because they're so accessible.

I think it would be great to have "mastermind groups" made inside of this community. Groups of several people who hold each other accountable and inspire each other to improve, learn and spend their time wisely. There was a link in one of the videos to something that mentioned finding partners to hold you accountable, but the link is broken. having something like that would really help people improve.

Edited by LabMadeMonk

Hey I love the idea of the book club, and I have a suggestion, I love reading and have a library of self-help books, while reading them feels empowering in and too itself, I think the discussions about the books should also include an aspect of how we are implementing what we have learned into lives. 

Also for Writting - Writting Prompts - https://www.reddit.com/r/WritingPrompts/

Has a great template for freelance creative writing, they just give out a senario and everyone has a go at building a story out of it. 

Edited by AssellusPrimus

On 3/31/2019 at 12:41 PM, JPAO said:

I have some experience with cooking as well haha (It might be my job shhhhhh) but I know there are some forums where people post pictures and recipes and kind of just smile/enjoy the wonders of a global community: so much different foooood.

I do think being more able to freely talk about whatever in an accessible manner would be nice, just a little wary of people becoming to invested in the internet side of things, almost like gaming, just invested in getting likes or the next 'level'. Social media seems like a giant video game to me honestly.

Yeah, I'm very much aware of people spending too much time on the forums, but honestly, if they're spending time working towards something like photography, or music or writing then it's much better than playing games all day.

On 4/2/2019 at 4:58 AM, LabMadeMonk said:

I have some experience in a lot of creative hobbies too, but unfortunately the brain tricks you into taking the easier way to satisfaction. Months pass, you look at yourself and feel like you wasted time not doing anything creative. I think lots of gamers have awesome, useful and creative skills but tend to waste a lot of time on games because they're so accessible.

I think it would be great to have "mastermind groups" made inside of this community. Groups of several people who hold each other accountable and inspire each other to improve, learn and spend their time wisely. There was a link in one of the videos to something that mentioned finding partners to hold you accountable, but the link is broken. having something like that would really help people improve.

Yeah, that would be a big part of it, keeping each other accountable. It wouldn't be particularly strict unless someone wanted that, but we'd help each other to grow and develop these skills as a group.

20 hours ago, AssellusPrimus said:

I think the discussions about the books should also include an aspect of how we are implementing what we have learned into lives. 

I have this exact thing written in my notes, I have no idea why I didn't put it in the post. But yeah, I'd definitely do this.

Also, I've got quite a bit of experience with the resources on Reddit, so  I'll definitely be using something from them (even though I really hate the side - it's as addictive as gaming for me!), but thanks for the heads up!

I'm probably going to work on a test version of the Book Club and get it implemented over the next few weeks to see how it goes. Keep an eye out!

• Like 1

The honesty I filled the form with gave me a good laugh. I am probably crazy. I love myself. Just FYI:

1: 3

2: 1,2

3: 4

I'm looking forward to it regardless. I still feel like I should read more in the sense of classic books, however I noticed the shift in me watching TED talks, documentaries and other videos instead of gaming/Twitch. I think I prefer using both key senses (eyes + ears) when I am focusing on something but I guess it's no surprise if I am here in this awesome forum 😄

Edited by Ikar
  • Like 2