Listen to Cam and James Discuss eSports In Episode 2 of Gaming the System!

James Good

Community question: What do you have planned this weekend?

Hey everyone!

To those of you that don't know me yet, I'm James. a 23-year-old former-addict who managed to turn his life around (dramatically), and also recently became a community manager for Game Quitters! I'll write an introduction post/journal later on so you can hear my full story, but feel through to go back through my profile and see what I got up to!

For now, though, I thought it would be a good idea to get to know everyone better and bring some more community to Game Quitters! 

This week's topic is pretty simple: Up to anything this weekend?

It could be seeing friends, learning a skill, playing sports, cooking dinner, or even just getting out of bed and doing some pushups. Whatever it is, post it here and let's commit to having an amazing weekend 😄 

Personally, I'm planning on playing golf with my dad, going to the gym, doing some birdwatching, and finishing up a web design project. 

I look forward to hearing from you all!

• Like 3

Saturday will feature a hike and likely some gym time.

Sunday, more gym time + taking my mom for a birthday dinner. 🙂

Welcome to the crew James! Glad to have you. 🙂

• Like 2

My weekend plans are to go to my monthly "drill" with the Air National Guard. It will be nice to let some of them know I have quit gaming. I am excited to see their responses and hopefully take any words of encouragement if they give any. Thanks for asking and making this thread! 😄 
I hope you all have a good weekend also. 

• Like 2

Planning to spend some time with a friend, catch up with my work load and pick up a book that I haven't had the time to touch since last weekend. Maybe watch a movie with family too.

• Like 2

Hey James! Thanks for the topic! Friday I’m getting together with a friend of mine I haven’t seen in months. Saturday I’m catching up with another friend and getting together with some girls to hang out. Sunday will be quieter, but hoping to get in a good book and maybe go for a hike.

• Like 3

I’m traveling from the UK to Delaware USA Today. Still not sure what I’m doing this weekend. I have free time so I might go explore Philadelphia. 

• Like 1

Loving the amount of support so far on the question! Keep it up. Also, if you have any suggestions for other things we can do, let me know! There are a few things in the works but I'm always interested in hearing your ideas.

Also, this thread got a lot bigger a lot quicker than I expected! 😄 Hopefully, it isn't too messy with all of the quotes!

6 hours ago, seriousjay said:

Saturday will feature a hike and likely some gym time.

Sunday, more gym time + taking my mom for a birthday dinner. 🙂

Welcome to the crew James! Glad to have you. 🙂

Thanks! Glad to be here 😄

That sounds amazing. Whereabouts are you going hiking? Its been too long since I hiked, I need to start making time for it again.

Wish your mum a happy birthday for me! 🙂

5 hours ago, TheWilliamJacob said:

My weekend plans are to go to my monthly "drill" with the Air National Guard. It will be nice to let some of them know I have quit gaming. I am excited to see their responses and hopefully take any words of encouragement if they give any. Thanks for asking and making this thread! 😄 
I hope you all have a good weekend also. 

Sounds great! Let us know what they said, it's always interesting seeing how people react when you tell them you've quit gaming 🤣 

2 hours ago, fawn_xoxo said:

Planning to spend some time with a friend, catch up with my work load and pick up a book that I haven't had the time to touch since last weekend. Maybe watch a movie with family too.

Weekends are always great to catch up on some work, it just seems to be never ending! What book are you reading? 

I really need to devote more time to see friends and family, even if it's just a couple of times a month. Once I get a bit more flexibility/money it's definitely going to be high on the list! 

Sounds like a lovely weekend, though. Hope you enjoy it 😄 

1 hour ago, Juliet said:

Hey James! Thanks for the topic! Friday I’m getting together with a friend of mine I haven’t seen in months. Saturday I’m catching up with another friend and getting together with some girls to hang out. Sunday will be quieter, but hoping to get in a good book and maybe go for a hike.

Hey! Thanks for answering! 😄 A super social weekend ahead of you. Sounds amazing! Hiking, books, and friends are pretty much the perfect weekend! What kind of books do you like to read? 

15 minutes ago, Cam Adair said:

I’m traveling from the UK to Delaware USA Today. Still not sure what I’m doing this weekend. I have free time so I might go explore Philadelphia. 

Hope the weather didn't put you off the UK too much 😅 You got any more speaking gigs lined up this week?

1 hour ago, James Good said:

What book are you reading? 

Someone else on the forums mentioned Madame Bovary so I picked it up and been reading it.

• Like 1

Got a few things planned:

• Go to the park (hopefully, kind of out of my control)
  • Get my rubix cube solving time to sub 5 minutes
  • Go to an optometrist appointment (I am so excited to get new glasses!)
  • Memorize a speech I've written for debate club
  • Read through a new book I've gotten on being charismatic
  • Study for a calc test

Unfortunately although I have friends I talk to in school, our bonds aren't close enough for us to hang out frequently so I have no social events planned. Fingers crossed that as I try to improve my social skills I will expand my friend group to find people I truly resonate with. Hope everyone's weekends are awesome! 😀

I might be going skiing, and doing volunteer work with some friends, planning on hanging out with my brother on Friday, and then I work a bunch... yay

Hey James. Fair play to you for stepping up as community manager here. It definitely seems like a commitment so best of luck with it!

This weekend I'm repairing the minor damage I did to my car a couple of weeks ago, working out some new goals to compete after completing some of my major ones for early this year, then celebrating my friend's birthday before running a half marathon on Sunday. I've put a lot of training in so can't wait. Would do it tomorrow if I could. Also wanna get a few more chapters in to Americanah and fit in time for a couple of things for work too if I can.

17 hours ago, James Good said:

Thanks! Glad to be here 😄

That sounds amazing. Whereabouts are you going hiking? Its been too long since I hiked, I need to start making time for it again.

Wish your mum a happy birthday for me! 🙂

I live in Hamilton, Ontario. There's lots of great trails in the area. I'll be going to the Smokey Hollow trail in Waterdown.

20 hours ago, James Good said:

Hey! Thanks for answering! 😄 A super social weekend ahead of you. Sounds amazing! Hiking, books, and friends are pretty much the perfect weekend! What kind of books do you like to read? 

Thanks! I’m definitely excited for it! Oh all kinds, but I mainly stick with fantasy and business/personal growth books. What about you?

18 hours ago, fawn_xoxo said:

Someone else on the forums mentioned Madame Bovary so I picked it up and been reading it.

I’ve never heard of that book, how’s it going so far?

8 hours ago, cammyhammy said:

Unfortunately although I have friends I talk to in school, our bonds aren't close enough for us to hang out frequently so I have no social events planned. Fingers crossed that as I try to improve my social skills I will expand my friend group to find people I truly resonate with. Hope everyone's weekends are awesome! 😀

Sounds like you’ve got some fun things planned! Best of luck on finding more friends that resonate with you! You’ll definitely find them if you keep looking! Also good luck on your speech and calc test!

7 hours ago, JPAO said:

might be going skiing, and doing volunteer work with some friends, planning on hanging out with my brother on Friday, and then I work a bunch... yay

Sounds like fun except for the work part lol! What’s the place that you volunteer at? And have fun hanging with your brother!

@Juliet So far, I like the era it's about, though sometimes the descriptions can become overwhelmingly long with details. The plot is about a couple's life and how the woman wishes for more an the time, I guess? I'm still at the beginning!

11 hours ago, cammyhammy said:

Got a few things planned:

• Go to the park (hopefully, kind of out of my control)
  • Get my rubix cube solving time to sub 5 minutes
  • Go to an optometrist appointment (I am so excited to get new glasses!)
  • Memorize a speech I've written for debate club
  • Read through a new book I've gotten on being charismatic
  • Study for a calc test

Sounds like an awesome weekend! Aside from all the studying 🤣 

You'll notice that as you start improving your life in other ways, you'll naturally start finding other people to become friends with. It takes time but it's amazing when you get there!

11 hours ago, JPAO said:

I might be going skiing, and doing volunteer work with some friends, planning on hanging out with my brother on Friday, and then I work a bunch... yay

I've still never been skiing, I really need to try it one day. Do you go on a practice slope or out into the mountains? Also, what kind of volunteer work do you do? Sounds like a great weekend! Keep it up 😄 

10 hours ago, Circadian Rhythm said:

Hey James. Fair play to you for stepping up as community manager here. It definitely seems like a commitment so best of luck with it!

This weekend I'm repairing the minor damage I did to my car a couple of weeks ago, working out some new goals to compete after completing some of my major ones for early this year, then celebrating my friend's birthday before running a half marathon on Sunday. I've put a lot of training in so can't wait. Would do it tomorrow if I could. Also wanna get a few more chapters in to Americanah and fit in time for a couple of things for work too if I can.

Hey! Yeah, it's definitely a bit of extra work, but I owe a lot to this community and it's a great way for me to give back and helps others through the same journey that I struggled with in the past!

Congrats on completing your goals. Great way to build momentum early on in the year! 

I hope the half marathon goes well for you! I did one a few years back, didn't pace myself properly, and hated every single minute of it. Never again  🤣 

6 hours ago, seriousjay said:

I live in Hamilton, Ontario. There's lots of great trails in the area. I'll be going to the Smokey Hollow trail in Waterdown.

Yo, that looks beautiful! I'm jealous 😄 

3 hours ago, Juliet said:

Thanks! I’m definitely excited for it! Oh all kinds, but I mainly stick with fantasy and business/personal growth books. What about you?

Exactly the same here, haha! I'm halfway through the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, and I'm currently reading Deep Work by Cal Newport. Fantasy/self-improvement is such a great combination of relaxation/escape and productivity. 

• Like 1

Hey, James. Question of the week seems a smart move to get everyone involve)

I have a lot to do this weekend, especially on Saturday when I have classes. I also work but it's fine by me, I enjoy tutoring a lot. Then I'll go to the swimming pool and there will be achery training on Sunday, plenty of homework needs to be done. I also hope to start reading Der Steppenwolf by Hesse.

@fawn_xoxo oh, it was me who actually mentioned reading this book) Hope you will enjoy this one.
A fun fact, originally the novel was more than thrice bigger than the one we read now. Flaubert edited it a lot to make it a perfect and self-sufficient novel where every detail and even every word mattered.

• Like 1

Hey, everybody!

Going to visit my parents this weekend. Willst spend some time there and use the opportunity to meet up with some friends who live nearby. We'll probably go climbing on Saturday. Sunday's reserved for starting to work on an animation project and maybe a board game with my parents and grandma.

This weekend:

• Today: Training at work (not happy about this, but I accept it)
  • Tomorrow: Playing board games with friends tomorrow night! The daytime hours are full of possibilities... Skiing perhaps?
  • Sunday: Nothing on the calendar yet. So many possibilities!! I'll probably start building the structure of our kitchen pantry. 

@James Good I generally go skiing out in the mountains, I'm from Calgary AB (pretty cool place if you ask around) 

@Juliet I do some volunteer work with a Catholic boys club on some Fridays, pretty fun, although the kids get pretty crazy.

Work isn't my favourite, but it's something to do (and I guess making money is important). 

Forgot to mention I'm looking at a place to rent on Sunday

Rest a bit, entertain children, have a meeting to create a reading group of Maria Valtorta, having my stepfather a home on Sunday and going to the mass.

I ran 11km last night and 10km this morning. Spending the day time with my family and contemplating doing another 10km tonight if it stops raining!

Tomorrow is the first day I've had to myself with no commitments for 2019, so not sure what I'll do with it. Maybe a early morning marathon? 😁

I think it might be time for GameQuitters first spin-off website, RunningQuitters! What do you think @Cam Adair?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Catherine17 said:

Hey, James. Question of the week seems a smart move to get everyone involve)

I have a lot to do this weekend, especially on Saturday when I have classes. I also work but it's fine by me, I enjoy tutoring a lot. Then I'll go to the swimming pool and there will be achery training on Sunday, plenty of homework needs to be done. I also hope to start reading Der Steppenwolf by Hesse.

@fawn_xoxo oh, it was me who actually mentioned reading this book) Hope you will enjoy this one.
A fun fact, originally the novel was more than thrice bigger than the one we read now. Flaubert edited it a lot to make it a perfect and self-sufficient novel where every detail and even every word mattered.

Yeah, there's a lot more interaction already than I expected! 

Busy weekends are the best weekends! What do you tutor? 

18 hours ago, Philipp said:

Hey, everybody!

Going to visit my parents this weekend. Willst spend some time there and use the opportunity to meet up with some friends who live nearby. We'll probably go climbing on Saturday. Sunday's reserved for starting to work on an animation project and maybe a board game with my parents and grandma.

Sounds like you've got a great weekend ahead of you!

What kind of animation do you do, if you don't mind me asking? Sounds super interesting!

17 hours ago, Brian said:

This weekend:

• Today: Training at work (not happy about this, but I accept it)
  • Tomorrow: Playing board games with friends tomorrow night! The daytime hours are full of possibilities... Skiing perhaps?
  • Sunday: Nothing on the calendar yet. So many possibilities!! I'll probably start building the structure of our kitchen pantry. 

Soooo many possibilities, haha! I love that attitude 😄 Keep it up!

14 hours ago, JPAO said:

@James Good I generally go skiing out in the mountains, I'm from Calgary AB (pretty cool place if you ask around) 

@Juliet I do some volunteer work with a Catholic boys club on some Fridays, pretty fun, although the kids get pretty crazy.

Work isn't my favourite, but it's something to do (and I guess making money is important). 

Forgot to mention I'm looking at a place to rent on Sunday

Well, Calgary looks like one of the most beautiful cities I've seen *adds to travel list*

Hope house hunting goes well for you! I've been spending a lot of time doing it recently, it's a painful process haha.

12 hours ago, Mouxine said:

Rest a bit, entertain children, have a meeting to create a reading group of Maria Valtorta, having my stepfather a home on Sunday and going to the mass.

Sounds like a great weekend for recovering and resting. Hope everything goes smoothly!

1 hour ago, giblets said:

I ran 11km last night and 10km this morning. Spending the day time with my family and contemplating doing another 10km tonight if it stops raining!

Tomorrow is the first day I've had to myself with no commitments for 2019, so not sure what I'll do with it. Maybe a early morning marathon? 😁

I think it might be time for GameQuitters first spin-off website, RunningQuitters! What do you think @Cam Adair?

Damn, so much running! It's great that you enjoy it so much 😄 Do you ever do any races?

"Take this quiz to find out if you suffer from a running addiction" 🤣

• Like 1

"RunningQuitters.com If you find yourself making excuses to get out of social commitments to go running, or neglect your work or family responsbilities so you can sneak out for a quick 5km, then you've come to the right place. Click here for 50 hobby ideas to do inside!"

I really only race against myself. I do get involved in the city marathons and its a great motivator to travel and see new places. Now that I have discovered virtual runners though that has slowed down a bit - which my bank balance is thanking me for it! I do get involved with Parkrun for the social aspect which is great, and I think there is some other social groups around here that I need to check out. I think we had another marathon runner here somewhere on the forums.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, James Good said:

Sounds like you've got a great weekend ahead of you!

What kind of animation do you do, if you don't mind me asking? Sounds super interesting!

Hey,
Since I just came back from climbing and my hands and fingers burn like hell - totally worth it - I'll keep it short
Currently I'm animating a 2d game character's movement - running- and walkcycles, jumping, landing and other movement stuff, mixed procedural animation for the hands on some points. Tomorrow I'm going to grab my camera and take some reference footage for the moves ( ^^ those parkour skills really come in handy from time to time).

Really enjoy game animation for now but will hopefully transition back to 3D animation for movies in the next few weeks. And parallel to this I'm riggining a 3D robot arm for later Animation-exercises.

Hope you all have a great eeekend.