NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

No friends

Rude

Hi

I've cut out gaming from my life pretty much entirely. I've signed off of discord, stopped watching twitch streams, and unfollowed any gaming related news sites and figures so I wouldn't be inundated with it my social media feeds. 

As much as I know I don't want to get back into gaming again, I realized that I've abandoned pretty much everyone in my social circle that I've kept for 10 or more years because they're all gamers too. We don't have a whole lot in common other than the games we play together. Remaining friends with them would only service the addiction. I'm making more posts on twitter and instagram which I almost never used before. I'm finding myself trying to build a social network following because I haven't yet found a replacement for the social aspect of my gaming habit and I'm grasping for straws.

I'm 28 and I have to figure out how to make friends all over again. I don't even know where to begin.

Edited by Rude

Look at this way you gave it up for a reason, so what are some your dreams that you like you like to do, would like to take a trip, a cruise, ect? Would like to learn to write stories, do animations, make movies, do art, learn a new langaunge ect? Your world is free to do with it you want to. Here tool list gamequitters has that might help you https://gamequitters.com/hobby-tool/

Its should give you some ideas to do and trying to make friends. You have to try new things (a lesson I need to learn myself as well.) 

Nobodies telling you how to specifically live your life. You make the trade whatever you want to make it. I thought it was really cool that the owner of GQ (Cam) is learning how to DJ and has been DJing at events. That's pretty epic imo. I also wouldn't want to spend my time taking care of the elderly (Sorry old ppl!). If I did, i'd take them somewhere fun. I also realise that it's very stereotyped that they need 24/7 care (They prefer to do shit alone. They basically don't want to be alone for the last few years on Earth. Some crafts I do like, such as woodworking. It's not about following someone else's directions, it's about making them into your own. I woodwork what I want to make, I don't follow instructions from a magazine.

The whole point is you need to do something you personally like and bring social aspects into it yourself (Find events related to it). I'd also be more mindful about social interactions online. They're not as real as life and won't ever be like a true friendship.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The reality is that most activities outside of gaming will objectively be boring. That isn't the point though. The point of quitting video games is to change the direction of your life and find new things to be passionate about. You're going to have to try some things, experiment and see what works. A few things you can try:

- learn a new language
- learn an instrument
- try some physical activities, like hiking, going to the gym or sports

If you're really stuck, you can look at Cam's hobbies guide: https://gamequitters.com/hobby-ideas/

When you find something you really like, an easy way to find like minded individuals is through Meetup. My own social circle has been built primarily through Meetup, and I have enough friends right now that I don't even use Meetup anymore.

It won't be easy to "get into" new activities following breaking up with video games, but I promise you it will be worth it in the end. As always, if you feel stuck or need some help, the community has got your back. Keep at it!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, @seriousjay is right @Rude, you have to try things to find new friends, for me it was basketball and tai-chi which really helped me, and when you are trying new things you should also participate and try talking with other people especially do not wait till they come to you (because sometimes that never happens or only after a long time). Just get out of comfort zone^^. (I know it is not easy at the beginning but that is fastest way)