NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

It's still ok to listen to videogame music?

ArcadianChild

Undertale, Civ VI and Celeste are my favorite OST in general and they mean a lot to me, but at the same time I dont know how much that would be feeding the nostalgia for videogames. Because I would admit, when I listen to the music I remember the good times and that makes harder to let them go.

Hi, @ArcadianChild!

I think that it would be better to abstain from listening OSTs during detox, because (and you've noticed that yourself) they do trigger cravings and gaming nostalgia. Just be focused on you own life instead of fixating on memories. One day soundtracks you liked to listen to would turn into just good music that wouldn't push you towards video games.

• Like 2

In my case, I pass the whole day humming video games, without even thinking about it. So I have like 30 video games soundtrack in the head everyday and it triggers rarely cravings. Actually it helps me to stay motivated when I do chores ! (Yes, doing laundry is super epic when you are humming a last boss theme ?!)

In your case, you said yourself it triggers cravings at weakens your will to let video games go. Just don't listen to that music and find some music to replace this music (is it epic, sad...). There's just so much to listen to.

I think it can be okay for some people. I personally have a very deep addiction, but soundtracks don't trigger any cravings for me, even if I'm listening to tracks that I've listened to while gaming. That being said:

On 2/19/2019 at 7:33 PM, ArcadianChild said:

Because I would admit, when I listen to the music I remember the good times and that makes harder to let them go.

this means clearly it's not a good idea in your case. There's a lot of mind-blowing music out there, the few gaming OST albums are not worth it. 

There's only 1 game series with a sountrack I love (Deus Ex). I've gone as far as listening to remixes, covers on guitar, the original orchestra ect.

It does feed nostalgia. Even tho I could say I use it for inspiration (Since I want to make music and I play guitar), I tend to avoid it. Music always has memories attached to it. I've also found that unrelated tracks that sound similar to it will trigger nostalgia for me.

My advice is to explore and find a completely new genre you've never heard of but enjoy. I deleted almost 1000 tracks and never went back to those genres when I quit pot (Some kind of electro genre, hip-hop and really heavy metal). I found that the music was just making my cravings worse for it. Music is a part of the environment, so changing it completely will set you up and feel like you're turning to a new page in your life. I did find completely new genres that I really enjoy. There's a lot out there.