NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Mario's Journal,

WorkInProgress

If you haven't already, get yourself a breadboard, power supply and some various electronic components.  Some things will make a lot more sense when you play around with it.  Another good resource is the free version of Micro-Cap 11, it's an electronic circuit simulator.  You can get it from http://www.spectrum-soft.com/download.shtm

hey thanks for the tips. I guess I search for simulation alternatives because Micro-Cap is only for windows users. I wanted to skip purchasing anything before I know how deep I want dive into this stuff. Are you interested in electronics? Any cool projects to copy? ;)

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just looked more into website building, blogs and stuff and realised that I have to pay around 40 Euros a year, to create a website with your own domain name and no advertisement.

For a vague idea of mine this is too much money. Especially because over the day I found around 30 different reasons not to do it or atleast not in this fashion. On the other hand this is exactly my behaviour if I dodge things I want to do but are too hard for me. I could give me more time improve the idea to overcome problems(not flexible enough, uses time I don't have, Their are more interesting reads on the internet, I am in the middle of learning enough I don#t want to stop...). Or just settle for a idea with lower investment(Just write the content down and see first if I am able to produce smth. worthwhile). Seems reasonable. Right now I don't even want to produce smth and stress me out at all. People in the internet judging me and paying smth for this  seems awefull and not worth it.

After a lot of rambling I came to the decision not to follow this idea but I keep it in the back of my mind as a hobby, if electronics isn't as fun as I think it will.

Are you interested in electronics?

It's how I've payed my bills for the last 10+ years :)

There are plenty of free resources to learn electronics now, but it will be much more interesting if you physically build the circuits.  This will cost some money for the breadboard and a DC power supply.  Components such as resistors, capacitors, LEDs cost very little.

Other options are to buy a 200 in 1 electronics kit like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpayYlJdbJk, that's the exact model I had when I was a child.  Or to buy individual kits for various projects.  In Australia we have a store called Jaycar that sells these things.  In USA, I believe Radioshack is similar.  I'm not sure what the European equivalent is.

In regards to building a website, you can start with a free wordpress blog.  If you later decide that you want your own domain name and hosting you can transfer your content over.  It's a bit tedious to do that, though it's not that bad either.

In the beginning, you'll likely have no one reading it.   Once you start building an audience there will be some people who judge you.  But you're going to get this in real life if you decide to do anything out of the ordinary.  Being able to deal with judgement is a good skill to have online and offline.   

Another thing you could do is to write under a pseudonym, although no-one is truly anonymous on the internet, people are not going to put effort into finding out who you really are until you've made it big.

I just looked more into website building, blogs and stuff and realised that I have to pay around 40 Euros a year, to create a website with your own domain name and no advertisement.

For a vague idea of mine this is too much money. Especially because over the day I found around 30 different reasons not to do it or atleast not in this fashion. On the other hand this is exactly my behaviour if I dodge things I want to do but are too hard for me. I could give me more time improve the idea to overcome problems(not flexible enough, uses time I don't have, Their are more interesting reads on the internet, I am in the middle of learning enough I don#t want to stop...). Or just settle for a idea with lower investment(Just write the content down and see first if I am able to produce smth. worthwhile). Seems reasonable. Right now I don't even want to produce smth and stress me out at all. People in the internet judging me and paying smth for this  seems awefull and not worth it.

After a lot of rambling I came to the decision not to follow this idea but I keep it in the back of my mind as a hobby, if electronics isn't as fun as I think it will.

What would the highest version of yourself choose in this moment? Are you not pursuing the idea out of fear (not working out, lose the money, etc..) or out of what you truly desire in your life?

@Ed and Cam : Thanks for the replys. I deided to follow your advice Ed and started the blog with the free Version and Under a pseudonym. Many of my objections where jsut in my head and I think it will be a nice tool for em to motivate me learning c++. It is kind of a testrun for internet marketing too. Let's see how wordpress works and what possibilities it leaves me. I first keep the blog form but will most likely order my entrys in other way and improve my little Website over time. https://howilearnedcplusplus.wordpress.com/ 

It was a good Weekend and a good week. I did exercise 3 times this week and got some exra pull-ups in. Even had some fun with handstand training. I missed my electronics goall because of my web research at saturday(was annoyed and just didn't sutdy electronics). But this week I willd efinitely get it done. And I feel the Motivation boost of creating something which is cool. I never created anything in my freetime and I now write on a blog like a freakin Hipster and may be able to use my VBA knowledge to make worklife for my wife a little easier which is awesome. I am also on agood way too accomplish my september goals which is great. The feeling of progress in real life is cool.

Goals (6months until 28.2.2017)

-  I have consistently trained or at least  2 workouts/week for the last 6months

- I finished my intern ship and found an awesome Master thesis which will help to improve my employability in my area of living

- I have deepened my relationship and I allow myself to be more vulnerable towards my wife and my friends.

- I studied a lot in my own free time and decided where I want to work ( finished python book, start learning cfd, finished electronics online learning,finished linux ebook).

Goals (1month/ until 28.9.)

- I decided if I do my master thesis at the place of my intern ship or somewhere else

- I have a routine established for my standard tasks( cleaning, workout, studying )

- I did clear some organisational issues at university

Goals (1week/18.9.)

- Write 6 entry's at my blog

- Talk with both of my sisters on the phone

- think about masterthesis.

That page looks awesome. Looking forward to seeing it grow!

Damn! People see what I produce :D. Writing there actually takes more time than expected. Also I have another Internet issue at home. Well lets see how it goes. Right now the site is pretty crappy but I am sure in a week or so It will be decent :). Maybe it was a little overkill to target programming beginners with this site. Because I have some experience and will do all coding on Linux. But well i do my best and people will just stop reading if it doesn't apply to them, or if they can't take no value out of the blog. I guess in some way it is more important to Focus on the Content instead on the possible Readers.

-  I have consistently trained or at least  2 workouts/week for the last 6months

- I finished my intern ship and found an awesome Master thesis which will help to improve my employability in my area of living

- I have deepened my relationship and I allow myself to be more vulnerable towards my wife and my friends.

- I studied a lot in my own free time and decided where I want to work ( finished python book, start learning cfd, finished electronics online learning,finished linux ebook).

- I decided if I do my master thesis at the place of my intern ship or somewhere else

- I have a routine established for my standard tasks( cleaning, workout, studying )

Goals (1week/18.9.)

Ok this blog writingisn't as easy as I thought (surpise...). I see myself procrastinating getting it going. But today I willl finetune my first two posts and put that links into it. Interestingly it seems as if I know allready  alot about c++ or atleast the progress of coding, which makes the main difficulty to keep everything  understandable for unexperienced people. On the one hand I could just stop trying, but I think it is also important for myself to put these things in easy understandable words. It makes me realise that it isn' really hard to code, it just takes time to get into. It is demanding but fun too think about. Quite possible that coding will be a real Hobby soon and not jsut smth I do learn to pimp my CV.

Even if on this new exciting part things are  alittle rocky i am over all pretty busy and had some good news financially which releases a lot of pressure of my shoulders.

Goals (1week/18.9.)

Even if on this new exciting part things are  alittle rocky i am over all pretty busy and had some good news financially which releases a lot of pressure of my shoulders.

It will take a bit of an adjustment but one thing I invite you to notice is how much better you are now at dealing with this sort of challenge compared to how I imagine you were in the past. Something worth being proud of. :)

I've programmed microcontrollers in C and it was a dream of mine to learn CPP! Unfortunately I shifted focus before I was able to learn anything.

I'll be following!

yeah one follower ;), I think I will check out micro controllers later on too. i programmed a little bit in C at University but I weren't able to keep a lot of proficiency out of this. But I am sure after I did some objective oriented programming it will be easier to return to c and get some solid knowledge there.

Edited by WorkInProgress

Hi Mario, seems like you're doing really well!

I like your idea of having short, mid, and long term goals, is it something you'll keep in your journal consistently or what will you do with it? I'm considering doing something similar myself, but I think I'd need a bit more accountability to do those things than just posting up here. 

Keep on keeping on :)

I like your idea of having short, mid, and long term goals, is it something you'll keep in your journal consistently or what will you do with it? I'm considering doing something similar myself, but I think I'd need a bit more accountability to do those things than just posting up here. 

yeah I keep them in my journal to have a daily reminder of my goals and the way to achieve them. Also I try to keep them SMART(i.e. with the dates). If my monthly goals are only one week away I will take them as weekly goal and create new monthly goals. The same procedere will be used if I am one month away from my 6month goals. I try to keep them consistent to stay focussed on important things but it is possible that my goals change a bit even before I reach them. I actually enjoy my c++ blog right now a lot and get a big sense of improving myself out of it. That's why I thinking of putting some goals up relating to this new thing and let some old things go on pause for some time (python,linux).

Thanks for checking in btw ;)

The last two workdays where semi productive. While I was great at being social at work place and talking with people I didn't do too mcuh actual work. Next week this has to and will improve. On the other hand I used the time to check a lot of C++ and Software Development stuff on the internet and it is really fascinating. Somehow the idea of creating content for other people makes me more ambitious about the quality of my work then usually. I always struggled with the feeling of being normal. Sounds (and is how I realised) ridiculous but it meant for me that I am not especially good at anything.  My conclusion was: it isn't worth putting effort into smth. because obviously my natural limits damn me do mediocrity and I tried to be happy with it.  Of course the real reason why I was mediocre was that I never took the effort and bravery to actually try something real hard. I actually was pretty lucky that I was even mediocre and not real bad at most of things, because my attitude was and is to some part pretty shitty. Sometimes I get the feeling that I put effort in things I think that they were considered great by others or are new and exciting, but neglecting the things that I feel are important. I deep know that my wife, my family and my friends are the most important thing in my life. I also know that they love me and forgive a lot of shitty actions of mine. That is great.  But it also means I don't have try so hard. It is sad but that is kind of how my brain works way too often. I  do what's needed instead of being proactive with the things that really matter. In my mind my priorities are clear:

1)Good relationships with the people I love and people I interact with often. 2) health(sleep/eating/drinking/exercise/relaxation) 3) Career/ being self sufficient and able to provide a nice living environment for my own family (wife and future kids) 4) constant self improvement( learning new skills/ going out of my comfort zone/ battling my insecurities/ think about my values and life) 5) Helping others

Now I look at my daily life and even if there are improvements in area 1) and 2) they are clearly not my priority. This has to change!

Goals (1week/18.9.)

Edited by WorkInProgress

yeah I keep them in my journal to have a daily reminder of my goals and the way to achieve them. Also I try to keep them SMART(i.e. with the dates). If my monthly goals are only one week away I will take them as weekly goal and create new monthly goals. The same procedere will be used if I am one month away from my 6month goals. I try to keep them consistent to stay focussed on important things but it is possible that my goals change a bit even before I reach them. I actually enjoy my c++ blog right now a lot and get a big sense of improving myself out of it. That's why I thinking of putting some goals up relating to this new thing and let some old things go on pause for some time (python,linux).

Thanks for such an elaborate response!

I think I'll incorporate that idea into my journal, as although I have some goals in my head, I'm not reminded of them daily. Updating the type of goal is also a nice touch.

I'm glad you're enjoying learning C++, it is a tough nut to crack! My brother tried to learn it but found it just too difficult, so from my perspective it seems like an ancient programming language that I shouldn't bother with (I code in Python right now).

You're welcome, it's the least I could do considering how often you check into all our journals ;)

Thanks for such an elaborate response!

I think I'll incorporate that idea into my journal, as although I have some goals in my head, I'm not reminded of them daily. Updating the type of goal is also a nice touch.

I'm glad you're enjoying learning C++, it is a tough nut to crack! My brother tried to learn it but found it just too difficult, so from my perspective it seems like an ancient programming language that I shouldn't bother with (I code in Python right now).

You're welcome, it's the least I could do considering how often you check into all our journals ;)

Python is awesome too. I am kind of drawn to the difficult stuff :)

My week went ok in the private area, but I want to step up my game at work. Now I decided to do my master thesis at my employer at the intern ship and that's why everything I do know will directly benefit my career success. But right know I procrastinate and check other things at work what is dumb. That's why I want to write my journal in the evenings from now on. Also I want to double down on the important relationships in my life. My blog needs a little more time per entry as I anticipated. That's why I will correct my plans in the future. But I learn a lot and feel like I have a goal to work toward which is awesome

I am proud that i did three great work-outs this week.

Goals (1week/24.9.)

- write 3 new entry at my blog

- Talk with both of my sisters and my mother

- go to university to clear my missing two classes this semester

I am at a critical phase at this blog Thing because now it starts to get "work", and I have to get through some obstacles. Especially important to stay consistent now because I get the Feeling of jsut giving it up. It is crazy how such a little thing which most  likely won't amtter to alot of People can release self-doubt and what not.It was the right decision to go for this. iumportant lessons are learned right now.

Goals (1week/24.9.)

This feeling of giving up comes always in every area of our life. Just remember what pushed you to do this and be consistent. In time it will come.

I see that you enjoy programming. I love it too. Are you working on something or just learning it for now? 

@Piotr I ahve a little project at work were I want to automate some data analysis. Basically my test stand gives me alot of data and I want to selete all data which is not used thin out the data and print pretty graphsout of it automatically. The size of these datasets(they give out values every second and some experiments go for around 24 hours makes this kind of computing heavy. At the moment I work with Origin and it has a C/C++-based embedded programming language which I use for that. But I want also learn c++ in a more genereal way. Not just how to use it to solve some acute problems but to get a solid knowledge about how this stuff works form GUI to the hardware level. Also there are a lot of jobs in embedded programming around my area and a 6month goal is to get more proficient in electronics and runtime programming so that I have some arguments with my Process design master degree to apply for these jobs. Basically engineering and scientific computing/modellign simulation are points of my interest right now. SO I have enough learning stuff for some years.

I am at a critical phase at this blog Thing because now it starts to get "work", and I have to get through some obstacles. Especially important to stay consistent now because I get the Feeling of jsut giving it up. It is crazy how such a little thing which most  likely won't amtter to alot of People can release self-doubt and what not.It was the right decision to go for this. iumportant lessons are learned right now.

it's less about the blog and more about who you become in the process! Keep going! :)

I was fairly productive the last two days and it feels like I start to prioritze in a right way. It is good that I have this journal though. I  totally forgotten to speak with my family this week. I will make some calls this afternoon.  But I manged to reach some goals I set for myself all ready and are working towards the others. I read Mark Mansons new book at the Momen and liek it very muhc. He takes a lot of content out of his free articles though. But it is good to have all this content at one place and I feel like their are some very interesting concepts in there. Maybe I will write about one or two of them after I finished.

Also I recognized that I treat the slight edge in my mind like a natural law. It is not just faith, it is just how things are. I don't know if this is positive or negative, but it is surely interesting.

Goals (1week/24.9.)