Question of the week: What's your favourite quote?

Jimuel

Who’s playing in moderation?

Hey everyone, Jimbo here! Haven’t posted anything in a while. I want to hear from you all, who’s playing in moderation after the 90-day detox? How many hours are you gaming now? What’s your relationship with gaming now & what boundaries did you set so you don’t snowball into excessive gaming again?

Love to hear from you all! 

Edited by Jimuel
Need to change my grammar

Hey man! I stopped playing for about 9 or 10 months, really lost the interest in gaming and I started my acting school, once in a while I play online with some friends, nothing more than 3 hours per week, but I think everyone should take your time to figure this out. Getting committed to my acting skills really made gaming boring haha

• Like 4

My gaming routine: Like always, in moderation. I play 1-2 times a week on the weekends but I also find other activities to fulfill those needs that gaming fulfills. I dance, play piano, exercise and other productive things. 

Note: If your someone, that doesn't want to give up multiplayer games but wants to moderate. Try playing multiplayer games, once a week. This may not be for everyone, but this is my recommendation. 

Anyone else that wants to share about their gaming routine? 

• Like 1

First of all. For multiplayer games. I'm not going to be able to play in moderation at all. I just start playing Battlefield and 16 hours passes. I forget to eat/drink. I just want to headshot other people with my shotgun (I'm very good at that LOL).

That happens for most single player games as well. Because nowadays most video games own a leveling system like AC Odyssey Or Origins or god of war, mgs5.... Which is very addictive and makes you spend hours in a day to level up and be able to get another skill or buy a new weapon. So in my opinion, playing video games can not be done in moderation. It's whether a 1 or a 0.

• Like 1

@killua145 True, that no one can moderate multiplayer games. I do play multiplayer games, once a week every once a while. I mostly player singer player stuff. Thanks for sharing & yeah AC Origins & Odyssey, God Of War and Battlefield are all great games I played. I totally get how your reward system and instant gratification make you want to spend more hours leveling up and get all this cool stuff. Be more self-aware of this stuff if this becomes a problem to you.  

• Like 1

Playing in moderation isn't possible for me anymore. I might do it initially, but eventually it cascades into a total takeover.

I have several new games I play now, and none of them are video games.

I play a game called recovering from gaming addiction. I level up by one day, every day. It's a pretty tough game: there's no cheat codes or shortcuts to beat it faster, and it doesn't seem to end either. But luckily there are plenty of helpful guides on how to play this game optimally and successfully.

I also play another game called trying to get my life together. I'm pretty horrible at this game, and there are certain bosses that I have a hard time defeating (like a proper sleep schedule). But with practice I think I'll get better.

• Like 4

not everyone can play in moderation and that why we come here to commit to something better. Eventually, you find video games waste of time and want to do something more in your life. 

Here a quote I take to heart "Do you want to keep life on pause or press play on life." The decision is yours and yours alone.

If you can play in moderation great but understand not everyone can.

was only 15 minutes today and after that I turned it off and remembered that the game is not going to help me with my problem that I have to solve in real life.

It's been almost a month since I played a simple game

Edited by Dschurd
  • Like 1

I tried moderation.  Addicts cannot moderate the amount they play, just like alcoholics cannot moderate how much they drink.

The games are a waste of time.  They have been sold. 

• Like 1

I tried to moderate for a while once. It didn't take long to spiral out of control.

Video games to me are about as big of a waste of time as it comes.

• Like 1

I'm still on my 90 days, but I've considered trying moderation after I finish. No appeal to return to the binge-days so might just keep it like it is right now

Hey Jimbo! I'm currently in the 90 day phase so I'm not playing any video games right now, but I have tried to 'play in moderation' in the past and it never fails to lead back to addiction. I know some people, like yourself, are able to play occasionally without falling back into bad habits and that's awesome, but video games are just such a weakness for me that I know I can't play them at all. 

• Like 1

On 2/9/2019 at 5:19 AM, GCepeda said:

Playing in moderation isn't possible for me anymore. I might do it initially, but eventually it cascades into a total takeover.

I have several new games I play now, and none of them are video games.

I play a game called recovering from gaming addiction. I level up by one day, every day. It's a pretty tough game: there's no cheat codes or shortcuts to beat it faster, and it doesn't seem to end either. But luckily there are plenty of helpful guides on how to play this game optimally and successfully.

I also play another game called trying to get my life together. I'm pretty horrible at this game, and there are certain bosses that I have a hard time defeating (like a proper sleep schedule). But with practice I think I'll get better.

This is very powerful. Gamifying your life can have fantastic results.

@cammyhammy Thanks for sharing ur experience. I know for some people who tried moderation and it never works for them. To u all, I’m sorry u can’t play games in moderation. But I’m glad all of are changing your lives and committing into something better. To you, all I’m wish the best of you in detox.

Hey @Jimuel

I also tried to play moderate for at least two years before I found  this forum. It always worked at first quite fine but overtime it got out of hand really quick and since starting the detox I already decided to quit for good afterwards this time because sadly I know where it leads back for me should I start again and that's not worth it.

Gaming in moderation is something that I thought I could do but then I soon realized that it wasn't possible after I struggled to go even a day without gaming unless I had no other choice(ie.Work)

Like pretty much everyone else here, after my first 90 days I decided to try moderation. In less than a week I was back to playing 8+ hours a day.

I think it's possible for some people. But, for me, once I realise how much time I was wasting on video games I stopped seeing any value in them. 

• Like 1

Hello Jimuel, I found this topic interesting because I had the same question.

I sold all of my games except for the ones that I can play while my friends are physically over such as Mario party, smash bros, Mario kart, and other various fighting games from shows that we like. It is diffidently hard to not sit down and play Smash Bros ultimate all day but I haven't done it yet and told myself I'm not going to play all night when my friends come over either. 

Thanks!

@RyanTheLion Awesome. That’s brilliant that you get to choose the games you have a lot of control over while you are with friends. 

However, Mario games are the really good by the way.