NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Amir's daily Journal

killua145

Hi everyone I'm Amir. An 18-year-old student from Iran. I just wanted to quit gaming so... I googled it, and found here.? I certainly believe this is a great place to track your progress and achieve your goals and of course quit wasting your time on video games.

I have 4 rules from now on:

1. No video games.

2. No video game activity including streams, walkthroughs, reading about video games or watching any particular video about it.

3. Study at least 10 hours (Because of my professional goal which is entering medical school.)

4 Not to watch TV series/animes/movies: This is unrelated to video games but still a very bad habit.

So this is day #1 let's see how it goes.                          

Edited by killua145
  • Like 3

Great list. - I find the streams, videos, TV series and movies such easy replacements for video games. While they're a step in the right direction, they're probably not very healthy either, so glad you're looking to cut them out.

I like the productivity goal to study. Is the 10 hours all at once?

Remember to celebrate the little wins along the way. Good luck in the journey.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fawn_xoxo said:

Hello Amir and welcome to the forums. Here you'll find a lot of people who have and do struggle with the same things.

Would you like to share how a typical day was for you before you decided to quit gaming and what you plan your new days to look like? 

Yes, of course. My typical day was like this: I wake up at 10 o clock, no brushing teeth, no breakfast, I just rush into video games or streams. I play AC Odyssey, Ac Origins, Clash Royale a lot, and any so called Triple A game that comes out. Whenever I'm not playing, I'm watching movies or tv series or animes. That's how I waste my entire day and I usually sleep at 4 or 5 O'clock am. So first I'm not getting enough sleep second I'm not waking up early which is not healthy at all... And still no brushing teeth, no healthy food just fast/junk food so my BMI goes up a lot, I see it and lose my confidence over, and over again. One day I decided to start exercising and from that moment I started changing other parts of my life too. Like quitting video games and movies and eating healthy foods. And here I am ☺️

• Like 3

Day #1

I didn't play any video games or watched any movies/Tv shows today. But I couldn't study for 10 hours. It needs a lot of effort and avoiding procrastination. But I'll try again tomorrow. Also, I noticed something changing about my behavior, today I was nicer to other people and my parents. Addiction can always aggravate your relationships but when you step up and even TRY to quit that addiction your life is always going to prosper.

• Like 1

Hey, Killua145.

Glad to hear you're quiting gaming and sharing your progress. I wish you the best of luck. Know that we're here for you whenever you run into trouble.

I don't want to be negative, but 10 hours seems an awful long time to grind out studying, even with breaks, assuming you're coming from minimal/no studying.

Do you think this is something that you can realistically keep doing for extended periods of times (weeks, months)? If not, I'd suggest starting with setting the bar a little bit lower (and then maybe progressively increasing your study time over time?). It's my experience that setting goals that are too ambitious/unreal is pretty much setting yourself up for failure.

Again, I'm really just trying to help, no offense meant whatsoever. Maybe you're a guy that can actually manage to study this much, then it's all right.

Lastly I'd like to recommend Marty Lobdell's study less, study smart video, which focuses on attention span and teaches you how to take the get the most out of your study session by incorporating smart short breaks. Should you not have time to watch this lengthy video, Thomas frank has made a summary video on it.

Hopefully that's a little useful to you. Good luck with your studies man! You can become whoever you want to become!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jsup said:

Hey, Killua145.

Glad to hear you're quiting gaming and sharing your progress. I wish you the best of luck. Know that we're here for you whenever you run into trouble.

I don't want to be negative, but 10 hours seems an awful long time to grind out studying, even with breaks, assuming you're coming from minimal/no studying.

Do you think this is something that you can realistically keep doing for extended periods of times (weeks, months)? If not, I'd suggest starting with setting the bar a little bit lower (and then maybe progressively increasing your study time over time?). It's my experience that setting goals that are too ambitious/unreal is pretty much setting yourself up for failure.

Again, I'm really just trying to help, no offense meant whatsoever. Maybe you're a guy that can actually manage to study this much, then it's all right.

Lastly I'd like to recommend Marty Lobdell's study less, study smart video, which focuses on attention span and teaches you how to take the get the most out of your study session by incorporating smart short breaks. Should you not have time to watch this lengthy video, Thomas frank has made a summary video on it.

Hopefully that's a little useful to you. Good luck with your studies man! You can become whoever you want to become!

Hi jsup, Thanks for your help. I have watched all the videos you mentioned above. They're really helpful. What you said was truly correct and I really believe in it. Consistency is more important than anything else. But there is another concept in here which is, if I'm not putting all of my effort and if I'm not studying as much as I can then what am I doing? The answer as we all know is that I'm wasting my time. So why shoukd I do that? I used to read philosophy a lot so in here I can relate to sth similar In philosophy: Plato(Or was it Socrates? I can never tell the difference ?) talked a lot about ideals. He mentioned that being idealistic can't always be bad because one has the right picture in his mind of who he truly wants to become. How he wants his life to be. And if you're not achieving your goals don't think that you're being too idealistic. What if you're being too realistic? What if you need to set a higher goal for yourself? Again it's all about how we think. 

Edited by killua145

I am also an 18-year old student as well who is currently studying in college. When I quit gaming, I also made similar goals like you, such as the following:

- No Video Games

- No YouTube

I hope that you can make it by the end of the detox and beyond. You are not alone in this. ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, killua145 said:

Hi jsup, Thanks for your help. I have watched all the videos you mentioned above. They're really helpful. What you said was truly correct and I really believe in it. Consistency is more important than anything else. But there is another concept in here which is, if I'm not putting all of my effort and if I'm not studying as much as I can then what am I doing? The answer as we all know is that I'm wasting my time. So why shoukd I do that? I used to read philosophy a lot so in here I can relate to sth similar In philosophy: Plato(Or was it Socrates? I can never tell the difference ?) talked a lot about ideals. He mentioned that being idealistic can't always be bad because one has the right picture in his mind of who he truly wants to become. How he wants his life to be. And if you're not achieving your goals don't think that you're being too idealistic. What if you're being too realistic? What if you need to set a higher goal for yourself? Again it's all about how we think. 

You're right, it's all in how we think. Glad that you found it useful. Go get into that med school, champ!

• Like 1

?Day #2 ☹️

Hi, today I increased my study time very close to 10 hours. I studied a lot. Also, I exercised for about one hour. I'm starting a new diet. I'm not using carbohydrates at all. Because I'm a little overweight. My friends and family tell me that I'm OK. But that's not enough for me. I didn't play video games for the second day. But I did watch a trailer of RE2. It comes out tomorrow. I want to buy and play it so much. But I'm still not playing... I have a really difficult test tomorrow, so pray for me. And that's it.

• Like 1

Day #3 I played AC Odyssey for one hour. So sorry about it. I'm gonna uninstall it so that I don't play it anymore. Wish me luck...

So I guess starting from day #1 again.

Update: I've removed everything from my console. That's it.

Edited by killua145
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2019 at 4:07 PM, killua145 said:

I want to buy and play it so much. But I'm still not playing...

I'm jumping in, since I read you're into intellectual stuff, to share with you this. Do you really want to buy it and play it? Words are the story we tell ourselves about ourselves. 

I think you feel like buying it and playing it, but what you want to do is succeed in rebuilding yourself. And so because of that, no, you don't want to buy it and play it, you don't want it at all. Your addicted part of the brain is just urging you to, and it's a useful divide that, isn't it?

We are who we behave like. Urges, feelings, they are a result of what we behaved like until now. Your ideals are who you are, to use your words.

p.s. Having high long term goals is one and good thing, having high expectations of how fast you will get there works very reverse in some people, they burn out fast and get discouraged. I advise balance and realism, I've crashed and burned before. ?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, fawn_xoxo said:

I'm jumping in, since I read you're into intellectual stuff, to share with you this. Do you really want to buy it and play it? Words are the story we tell ourselves about ourselves. 

I think you feel like buying it and playing it, but what you want to do is succeed in rebuilding yourself. And so because of that, no, you don't want to buy it and play it, you don't want it at all. Your addicted part of the brain is just urging you to, and it's a useful divide that, isn't it?

We are who we behave like. Urges, feelings, they are a result of what we behaved like until now. Your ideals are who you are, to use your words.

p.s. Having high long term goals is one and good thing, having high expectations of how fast you will get there works very reverse in some people, they burn out fast and get discouraged. I advise balance and realism, I've crashed and burned before. ?

It was just an urge. I have already quit gaming for studying, before. That means this is not actually a high expectation. And my urge is not so strong like so many people. And now that I've deleted everything from my console I don't even feel like playing or buying any game. The idea that it takes a lot of time to quit or achieve goals etc. is right. But if that idea weakens our willpower, then we should consider it wrong.

Thanks for your comment by the way ?

Edited by killua145

Day #1 version 2 ? I have studied a lot. Haven't played a single second because I can't. I realized that video games were literally ruining my life. Game quitters made me delete them all. Today was the first day that I felt alive for a while. Not only that I didn't play, but I also wasn't even thinking about playing. I was happy and productive.

• Like 3

Day #2 today I studied and did literally nothing else. I slept too much today that I had to word hard to compensate. No video games. No time wasting. I had to instal the app "Space" on my android to avoid being distracted. 

Edited by killua145
  • Like 1

Day #3 I have been up from 6 am in the morning and studying. I watched my national team's soccer game though I regret it because first I squandered my time second we lost and I'm so upset about it. ?

I haven't been playing video games for 3 days and because of that I can be productive and get so much done during the day. I'm not worried about biology exams any more since I'm prepared.

That's it. See you tomorrow ??

Edited by killua145
  • Like 1

Day #7 Today was a little bit better. I studied a little bit. But I was still watching friends.

I keep coming up with great ideas to improve my life but I don't have enough willpower or consistency to put them into action. I'm afraid one day I might be running out of creativity. So I need to start new habits and change my life. OK maybe that studying 10 hours wasn't necessarily a good idea and I need to start with small achievements and actually be happy about them.

Day #8,9 and 10 hi guys. I've been going to the library for studyig. It really helps me concentrate. For a reward, I watch one or two episodes of Friends every night. It's very funny, entertaining and romantic. If you feel depressed you must consider watching it. After deleting everything from my PS4 I haven't played yet. And that's very good ???

Hi, from now on, I'm going to be using this temple for my journal. Hope it works.

Day #11

Gratitude journal

I'm grateful for: 

1. Making good friends in the library and having a designated place to study.
  2. My parents for being so patient and selfless about me.
  3. Being able to quit and forget everything about gaming.

One amazing thing that happened/I did today

I watched the last episode of "Friends" and it made me cry.

Workout/run

I walked around a park 2 times.

Meditation

what???? Haven't done that...

Visualization

I thought about a time when I'm fit and successful and have really good relationships.

Daily affirmation

My strength is greater than any struggle.

Getting to bed before 12 pm

Weekly Goal(s)

• Studying and reviewing biology. 
  • Studying 10 hours for just one day.
  • Brushing my teeth twice a day.
  • Using dental floss once a day.
  • Taking a shower every day.

Monthly Goal

• Making studying a habit.
  • Not running away from practice exams.
  • Studying 8 hours for 30 days in a row.

3 Month Goal

• Finishing all the books for the big test.
  • Not being moody.

What went well today:

Walking and studying biology.

Not playing video games is becoming a strong habit.

What I could have done to make my day better:

Sleeping earlier yesterday and waking up earlier today.

What I will do differently tomorrow:

I will wake up at 7 o clock and study 8 hours. Maybe at home, maybe in the library.

Day #12

Gratitude journal

I'm grateful for: 

1. Nothing. I suck.

One amazing thing that happened/I did today

No amazing thing happened today.

Workout/run

no

Meditation

no

Visualization

no

Daily affirmation

Don't suck.

Getting to bed before 12 pm

I did it yesterday.

Weekly Goal(s)

• Studying and reviewing biology. 
  • Studying 10 hours for just one day.
  • Using dental floss once a day.
  • Taking a shower every day.

Monthly Goal

• Making studying a habit.
  • Not running away from practice exams.
  • Studying 8 hours for 30 days in a row.

3 Month Goal

• Finishing all the books for the big test.
  • Not being moody.

What went well today:

Just today's exam.

What I could have done to make my day better:

Not to waste the whole day.

What I will do differently tomorrow:

I will try to control my anxiety.