NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Setting things straight

Hello,

I'm 22 years old and I hope to abstain from video games for the upcoming 90 days and beyond. I've been playing since a young age and video games have been a major part of my life, which is a problem because I have lost interest in playing games in the past. Still, I end up relapsing and getting back into playing games with the idea that I can either get into streaming or that I can live with playing video games competitively (Overwatch, CSGO). These ideas have failed to become reality, and now I am stuck in this relapse loop where it feels like I am going no where with myself. So far, video games have derailed me from finishing school and it has kept me from socializing with people. I hope to make up for that now by finding new activities to engage in, and potentially get myself back into school to earn my degree. Many times I have attempted to stop playing games, but so far it feels like I don't have any control over myself. With that said, I hope to make up for myself, learn new things, and feel better about myself in the process. This won't be easy, but I will do my best to stay on track with quitting video games, along with avoiding getting myself sucked into other bad habits such as smoking or drinking.

I will keep in touch during this journey.

Thank you

Edited by pizzacake678
  • Like 3

Welcome here mate. I had the same thoughts with LoL thinking that I could earn money while playing. But that would mean: play 24/7 not because u want to earn money, simply because u have to play so much otherwise you will not keep up with other high elo players. And is this really what you want to do? Never going outside, just playing games? Sad life imo, and so I said no. I am glad that you do that too.

I wish you the best mate, looking forward to your journal.

• 5 weeks later...

For now I will be trying to figure out ways to invest in the money that I have. I currently am working at a 9-5 job which I hope to get out of, and I have until August to be prepared for the Fall 2019 semester of college. For this time I hope to engage in ways to invest money such as trading stocks, drop-shipping, and running a chat bot agency. I haven't fully solidified myself in one of these three areas mentioned but for now I am focusing on drop-shipping. Even though this type of work will leave me tired through parts of the day, I don't plan on quitting any of these goals just so that I can return to playing video games (it's not in my best interest at the moment). I hope to stay updated on this stuff, though most of my planning is already being done through writing in my journal. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As much as I don't want to admit it, I ended up relapsing after detoxing for a month (started detox on January 6th, relapsed on February 10th). Ended up having trouble falling asleep on the tenth and ended up downloading a BR game (Apex Legends) for which I ended up binge gaming from 2 am to 8 pm. That ruined my track record for keeping up with my drop shipping store for the past week so I plan to restart the detox today. I didn't restart the detox during the week after the day of relapse since I lost motivation to keep with my online store, but during this weekend I was able to uninstall Apex and the Origin software.

During the detox phase it didn't help that I would watch Twitch/Youtube videos while working full time (office desk worker gig) so I feel that is one problem area that I have to address. As for the activities that I could be engaging in besides online business, there is more to fill in that void besides attempting to run an online store. Volunteering has come to mind and I do plan to see my DVR counselor for college in the upcoming Fall Semester. I just have to remember to review the training modules and fill in my time with more social activities.

Also my full time job is depriving me of any social contact with other people since all I do is work at a desk. Will have to look for restaurant jobs as a busser.

UPDATE: To track the amount of time that I spend on Twitch/Youtube, I downloaded a Chrome extension that records the amount of time use on the internet and it into divides types of productivity categories ranging from very distracting to very productive. I'll be using this to keep myself from lingering on distracting contact for more than an hour per day (may even reduce the time to 30 minutes per day). This means that Twitch/Youtube will be tracked for usage.

Edited by pizzacake678

On 2/6/2019 at 8:11 AM, GCepeda said:

Welcome to the forums. I too have considered drop shipping and even investing in crypto currency (bitcoins, etc). I know a little bit on the topics you've mentioned, so if you need some info, I'd be glad to help you out. ?

I'll keep that in mind. Thank you