NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Journal - No More Runescape

RS Addict

Hello everyone,

I want to start a journal for myself and maybe for others to read about my progress as I quit video gaming. I'm addicted to OldSchool Runescape and I was formerly addicted to League of Legends. Surprisingly enough, I quit League by myself cold turkey about a year ago. I quit because I realized that putting my mental state and my enjoyment in the hands of 4 other strangers was a really bad idea. Pretty much I got sick of the trolls. I have felt urges to pick up the game again (love playing adc) but have resisted them pretty easily by just remembering how toxic of an environment it was.

OldSchool Runescape is different to me. I love pvp and pvm with friends on that game. I had a high lvl, a 125, and I love clanning and warring on that game. Just being in Teamspeak or Discord with my friends rolling through the wilderness was a blast for me. But as a trade off, I'm two years behind on my Math degree, my GPA is in the dumpster, I have no lasting friendships  and I have a very low trust relationship with my parents. Totally not worth it. So, I've decided to quit.

For the upcoming school quarter (January 7 to Mid March), I will focus on these goals:

1. Getting the best grades possible. I want to get a 4.0 in the 2 Math classes and 1 General Ed class I'm signed up for. I ran some GPA calculations and the best possible grade point average I can salvage with the remaining credit hours I have is about a 3.2. I only signed up for 3 classes this quarter because I want to focus on getting the best grades possible in a quarter that I can.
  2. I'm taking Combinatorics and Abstract Algebra, two courses which are more difficult than what I have studied in the past. I need to be sure to start early on homework assignments, seek help during office hours from the professors and TAs, and make friends to study with in my classes.
  3. Go to the gym every other morning. In my first year of college, I diligently went to the gym and followed a routine (Stronglifts 5x5). I ate decently and began to see definitive results. I felt better about myself in general. I want to return to that good feeling. Cam talks about seeing measurable growth, and I think the gym will be a constant positive source of measurable growth.
  4. Find a software internship for the summer. I want to get out of the house this summer and into gainful employment. I think it will give me perspective and it will be something I can put on my resume for when I look for jobs after I graduate.
  5. Make friends to replace the friends I have in Runescape. Both in my class and in social activities. I'm cutting myself off from my Runescape friends because unfortunately, they are a trigger for me to keep playing.
  6. Keep posting here. I'm using this thread as a way to reflect and regulate myself. I'm also going to be reading everyone else's posts as time permits.

Thanks for reading and I'm going to stick with this and fill this thread up with many, many posts.

Edited by RS Addict
  • Like 7

Did not play games today or have much of an urge to. Did some household chores and looked for a place to live for next year. My parents have deep doubts about my truthfulness and willingness to quit games.

My head is really cooked like its messed up bad dude

I'm going to start counting my detox from when I get out of my parents house. Right now I'm prevented from playing games because I'm living at home so its an artificial environment. My dad reads every one of my posts and its important to realize that I really am not doing anything towards curing myself until I get out of my parents house. 

So I will start posting when my actions are my own.

• Like 1

Went snowboarding in the Sierras with my brother for a few days after Christmas. I'll admit I had some cravings to play RS but did not play. I've been looking for an apartment to stay in but its been hard since I started so close to the deadline. I'm attempting to fully get rid of all my runescape items and accounts as well. 

I'm thinking I should also brush up on the math subjects that I'm going to be studying next quarter. Not too used to blogging my everyday life, especially on a public forum so this is strange for me.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, RS Addict said:

. Not too used to blogging my everyday life, especially on a public forum so this is strange for me.

True. I am still sometimes not sure whether to post private things etc. but its anonym and even if it wouldnt be, who cares? We are working on our self. Thats nothing bad

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RS Addict said:

I'm attempting to fully get rid of all my runescape items and accounts as well. 

Coming from someone who has quit RuneScape several times, I would say keep all of your items and accounts.  Just remove membership.  Having no items brings the subtle motivation to rebuild your account and gain exp as the extra reward.  Just bank everything, remove memberships, and log off.  If you make too big of a deal out of it you'll regret it all.

@Matt S Not feeling any desire to rebuild. I liquidated my bank, got loaned items back from friends in game, dropped untradeables, and sold the gold to a gold site. I'm currently working on getting the account banned as selling the account gives me the temptation to recover it.  You might be right but I hope not. ?

Had a decent day today. Drove my grandma to church this morning and took her out the brunch afterward. Then went to visit family friends for the past few hours. I'm not having much luck finding an apartment with the requisite conditions (no pets, no gaming) so I might just end up living in my car. I don't think it will be a problem since I'm pretty resilient/young. No games today either. I haven't really been tracking the number of detox days but maybe I should be.

• Like 2

1/90

Today was the first real day of my detox. I moved in to my new room near school and spent the day at school studying. I managed to stay away from games today by avoiding the usual spots I played games on campus last year. I'm reaally enjoying my material a whole lot more and I'm very very grateful to be given the chance for redemption.

• Like 4

2/90

More of the same studying as yesterday. I'm on track to finishing my first combinatorics homework which we have 2 weeks to finish normally before class even starts! I actually have so much time now that I'm not playing rs for 10+ hours a day and I feel way less depressed. 

• Like 4

3/90

Pretty uneventful day besides doing more math. I went out and did some grocery shopping in the morning for a bit of sunshine and air too. After that I stayed at home mostly because it takes two bus shuttles to get to school on weekends, not one. Maybe I should have thought about that before renting the place. The bus ride is kind of odious because its like 40 minutes but maybe I can use it to post on here or reflect on my situation. 

• Like 1

4/90

School finally starts tomorrow and I feel more prepared than ever. I've pre-studied and even gotten ahead on homework. I think seeing good grades will make me want to play games less as I find other success. I think part of what drew me to gaming is how much you can win and with such little effort. However, those accomplishment are ultimately meaningless and doing well at school isn't. Will update you guys tomorrow with how things went.

• Like 2

I think your analysis is spot on. One of the biggest perks of gaming is that you get to see consistent, measurable achievement, but good grades really do fill that gap nicely. I think you'll be amazed how much you can love school after quitting games. Excited for you!

• Like 2

Its true that good grades can replace the "winning" part in games. Not exactly but yes, it definetely helps. However I wouldnt rely to do is. To be honest its not very hard to be on track while life goes good. But what if it doesnt goe as planned? We all know life is not linear, there will always a step back. Its important to stay strong at those times. Because if you not stay strong in the hard times, you cant get over them! 

• Like 1

5/90

Had my first day of class today and I really enjoyed them, at least my math classes. It was a nice change of pace to understand everything on the first day.I prestudied and it really helped. I wouldn't have been able to understand my abstract algebra class without the pre study. The teacher introduced groups by talking about the symmetric group and showing rotational and reflection symmetries of various shapes, He really shot off topics rapid fire.

My combinatorics class was pretty fun too we talked about counting sequences and sets and I talked to the professor after class to clarify a homework problem. Overall a successful day.

• Like 3

Yep I love prereading for lectures and it helped me out a lot as well last semester. That and reviewing immediately after class are great strategies for succeeding in the many huge, fast-paced courses in college. The only problem is it takes up a loot of time and discipline...but with your new study habits I don't see you having a problem there.

Glad you're enjoying school now!

Edited by Deku
  • Like 1

6/90

I went to the gym on campus this morning and it was packed with people but they should clear out in a few weeks. I used to go to the gym religiously before I took a year+ break from school so getting back into it was fun. I worked on my homework too which was pretty easy probably because its still early in the quarter. 

Been tired and waking up later than i want so I'll probably factor more sleep into my schedule.

• Like 3

7/90

Here I am posting super early in the morning.... I took a nap and woke up just now and its early in the morning. I've been doing ok in school but I've been living unhealthily. I only eat one meal a day and don't get much rest. Need to fix some things in my life these next few days before the quarter ramps up. I also want to get ahead of my classes, not just keep up with them.

Edited by RS Addict
  • Like 3