NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Is gaming still okay?

Nate_Dawg132

So I have been highly addicted to video games for the past 4 or 5 years or so, but i wanted to know is it possible to get rid of the addiction and only play video games as a hobby and only every now and then? Have any of you succedded in doing this and if so, how do you maintain control over not playing too much?

I think its better to completely avoid if you're able since it will always be a constant battle, for a short period you may be able to do it but it can become a habit easily over the long term and you become too lenient with yourself until you end up in a situation again where you've been playing too much and feel a need to cut back but a long period of time might pass until you feel like you need to cut back and so the cutting back part will be more painful because you'll need to rewire your brain again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I posted this on reddit 10 months ago. So be aware!

Games in general are not worth anymore:

DLC and Loot box policy

You paid for uncomplete games!

Designers want you be hooked!

Nowadays games are made only for money

They lead you where to go and what to do (Are like interactive film)

No more target making quality games, they want best selling game for wide audience

They became too easy(there are exceptions)

Games provide you alternative reality where you can run away from real life problems

Challenge was replaced with follow me instruction and help text

Auto aiming, health regeneration (really?)

They no loner punished us for our mistakes

Are expensive

Developers artificially increasing minimum hardware requirements

Online games is especially designed to hook people. MMOrpgs destroyed many years of young people

Force you to buy better rig or equipment

Games in general:

Waste of time

Low return on investment

Waste of money

Social isolation

Accomplishes nothing in the real world

Detracts from goals (As humans, we are goal-seeking organisms by nature. We want to accomplish things. When you play a lot of video games, this desire is sublimated into achieving things in the game. You lose your desire to accomplish things outside a game.)

Pleasure hijacker (Incredible stimulating, other thing are boring)

False sense of completion

Procrastination

Irrational fear (Social Anxiety for me)

Physical fitness (20 kg overweight)

Laziness

Edited by Guest

• 5 months later...

First, you may want to check the Frequently Asked Questions here: https://gamequitters.com/detox/ Quite worthy the whole webpage, but put some special attention close to the end of it; BUT I am not in agreement with the following sentence, though: "The truth is, if you can't go 90 days without gaming ... you probably shouldn't be gaming."

Quite too strong bias (and kinda 'demonizing' videogames too, kinda, eh) if you ask me, it seems just for trying to convince you to let go playing videogames, like, forever. Is there any kind of science reasearch backing this kind of statement? Truth be told, if you don't really want to play videogames, that's fine, really! But even if you make the simple 'mistake' of playing them yet again; is not the end of the world. Instead, seek what causes it and find the proper solution for the proper problem!

Image.

The real question is: for what purpose videogaming serves you? For me is between artistic, passion reasons and also, sometimes, for simple fun.

This article can be quite interesting, why not.

https://gamequitters.com/how-richard-kuo-plays-video-games-in-moderation/

Also, this video (with a three part series) could be somewhat helpful too!

I'd say that in moderation all the damn way, for sure. You know there are even benefits for playing as many scientific studies already proved it. Problem is, how much you'd will to play?

I'd advise a way of playing videogames, like, not so much by ONLY during the weekends. Trust me, when I was younger, it phenomenally worked for me. I was just busy in the midweek, doing a good variety of plethora of things, and then, close to the end of the week, I could relax a bit more and play like, every friday, saturday and sunday, just like 2 or 3 hours per day. In the long run, you can play a lot of games, just like I did.

I'd really encourage to play like this. Further more than that could be riskier though.

P.S: I 'may' try something like Tuesdays, Thursdays and exclusively weekends once I'm recovered but, truth be told, may be quite excessive for me. I swear when I played the way I mentioned to you (the only-weekend routine) while I was younger, well, it worked that damn good that I could barely feel, if nothing at all, 'tempted' to play videogames in the meantime, really. But in the end, is simply up to you what fits better; but please, do not tempt to play in too long sessions and not too many of them. ALSO, I'm afraid no MMOs, UNLESS you want to, like, exclusively play any kind of them during a month, then take a break or, well, if you enjoy it that much and keep exclusively playing it ...

But the worst part about MMOs is that some like FFXIV, SW:TOR (it has a kinda flexible F2P system, but quite restrictive in some senses, truth be told) and WoW, you have to, at least, monthly pay them for being able to play. Bollocks I say, really. Not flexible at all, I'd be more into something like GW2 makes it echonomically.

BUT, FIRST THINGS FIRST THOUGH, you shall need to complete some kind of program like the 90 Day Detox, then you can decide what else to do once you're in full control of yourself. Remember to use this (https://gamequitters.com/hobby-tool/), try to listen to this (https://gamequitters.com/14/), and write a Journal here! Is really easy to do it! https://forum.gamequitters.com/index.php?/forum/11-daily-journals/ (READ this too for making your journal a lot easier!) ---v

Good luck! ???

Edited by Guest

I believe you should really do in moderation if you are capable of doing that, But have in mind that Its not really moderation of you Play a fair amount But thinking of playing all the time when you are not gaming ? this is Why I try to quit all together because I Can easily downprioritise it But not in my head. And I failed 4 times bit trying again now ? 

But moderate it only if it doesnt take time from the other things you want to do or needs to be done:) 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/3/2018 at 3:24 AM, Shine Magical said:

I think its better to completely avoid if you're able since it will always be a constant battle, for a short period you may be able to do it but it can become a habit easily over the long term and you become too lenient with yourself until you end up in a situation again where you've been playing too much and feel a need to cut back but a long period of time might pass until you feel like you need to cut back and so the cutting back part will be more painful because you'll need to rewire your brain again.

Why is it getting more painful to cut back?

• 1 month later...

You could do it, but the risk factor is too high.

I'd say, If you weren't addicted in the past you can easily create a new mindset, but since you've been addicted...changing your mindset is possible, but you must reinforce it with fulfilling needs unique needs. Why waste all of that time Reinforcing, Just get a portion of time back?