Silverlining

Every day is a new day

7 hours ago, Silverlining said:

My schedules are messed up. I work out every other day at best instead of every day. I feel less motivated to study and I'm procrastinating. I lost control of my daily caloric intake.

I can totally see myself stressing about the lack of control too, but I think the useful question here would be this: Which of all the factors that are affecting your schedule are in your control? Because we all need to be responsible of our circumstances however we need to firstly know which circumstances are in our control, so that we don't blame ourselves for things that we can't affect. 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2018 at 7:29 AM, fawn_xoxo said:

I can totally see myself stressing about the lack of control too, but I think the useful question here would be this: Which of all the factors that are affecting your schedule are in your control? Because we all need to be responsible of our circumstances however we need to firstly know which circumstances are in our control, so that we don't blame ourselves for things that we can't affect. 

I would really know which ones can be controlled!!

On 12/29/2018 at 12:29 AM, fawn_xoxo said:

I fear that the biggest challenge for me is that after the holidays, it becomes more difficult for me to regain self-control. The more "fun" I have, the longer it lasts, the more likely it will take away some good habits that I have built up.

On 12/28/2018 at 10:39 PM, Matt S said:

Nice.

But seriously, I know you've worked so hard over these couple months to develop a routine, stick to it, and lead a better life. The issue is that isn't always going to be the case. There will be weeks where your schedule implodes due to unforeseen conditions. This is where you stay calm and collected. Trust yourself and allow yourself some time to destress. You've done a lot to heal and now a lot to do holiday stuff. Your mind and body are craving some physical release and mental stimulation, but your whole body and soul needs some rest right now. Maybe you can make time to meditate and do yoga on these days you're not motivated to go to the gym. It's private, slower paced, but good for you in many ways. 

Take a deep breath and don't panic during this blip in the radar. You're doing great and just need to roll with this for right now until the week gets stable again. 

Matt

Thank you! That's very useful advice. Now I try to stand up as much as possible and do some yoga whenever possible. It makes me feel less guilty even if I don't have the time to go to the gym on that day.

I managed to meet the deadline for my assignment on Coursera. And I'm going to the gym right now. I guess I was worrying a little bit too much. It's just too depressing to think about the possibility for me to relapse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silverlining said:

Thank you! That's very useful advice. Now I try to stand up as much as possible and do some yoga whenever possible. It makes me feel less guilty even if I don't have the time to go to the gym on that day.

I managed to meet the deadline for my assignment on Coursera. And I'm going to the gym right now. I guess I was worrying a little bit too much. It's just too depressing to think about the possibility for me to relapse.

It's ok to worry, but not to drive yourself with worrisome thoughts.  Stay strong and collected.  You got this.  Great job on getting your project completed.

Matt

• Like 1

Day #74: 1/2/2019 Wednesday

The first diary in the new year!
The holiday is officially over and everything is back to normal 😄
I have just finished my 2nd course on Coursera since sobriety (still waiting for the grade from a peer graded assignment). And finishing my 3rd one in the next 2 days.
Going forward I need to focus on my big exam in May. And I have made a plan. I like that on Coursera there are weekly deadlines, which keep me on track. It works so well that I decide to set up weekly deadlines in my exam plan too.

• Like 3

Day #79: 1/7/2019 Monday

A little upset. Just a little.

I have had occasional migraines for years. It started again last Saturday, and lasted through Sunday morning. It was so bad that I couldn't ride a car, so we had to walk to a nearest grocery store (which is not our favorite) to buy some food. It would be relieved by a certain pain reliever (apparently not all kinds of pills work for me), which I can't take right now, because I don't know if I'm pregnant or not. It's still too early to know and all my home tests are negative, but I just can't take that risk.

Sadly, during the week I was procrastinating because I felt that I would have plenty of time to study on the weekend. I found myself mindlessly browsing again. The BlockSite extension has lost its power since it takes one click to turn off.  Well, the migraine took away most of my productivity at the weekend. Consequently, I didn't reach my weekly goal. I'm 70% through my materials, so this week I have to study twice as hard to catch up. High price of procrastination.

The good news is that I may have found a new way to stay away from mindlessly surfing the internet while studying, which is covering my keyboard with a few pieces of paper. At least it worked last night.

Edited by Silverlining

11 minutes ago, Silverlining said:

Day #79: 1/7/2019 Monday

A little upset. Just a little.

Hi! Its ok to have migraines and do what is need to do to stop them. My sister has occasional migraines too and they are so strong that she end up at hospital each one. It's ok to procrastinate after that. You must calm your mind some way, better or worse. Be good on yourself 🙂

Edited by katsudo19
  • Like 2

Day #82: 1/10/2019 Thursday

Today I finally completed the Machine Learning course that I had expected to finish last week.

Well, it's better now than later.

I still have a lot to study to meet my weekly target.

Untitled.png

Edited by Silverlining
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Silverlining said:

Day #82: 1/8/2019 Thursday

Today I finally completed the Machine Learning course that I had expected to finish last week.

Well, it's better now than later.

I still have a lot to study to meet my weekly target.

Untitled.png

Nice job! It's nice learning when we are interested in it. Those are great universities as well and hopefully it will impact your career nicely. 

I remember finishing my master's degree last year in engineering and finally feeling proud and free. 

• Like 1

Day #85: 1/13/2019 Sunday

At 10:45 Sunday night, my weekly study plan was finally finished. I'm both tired and excited now. 

My husband has also been studying and working last night and tonight. It feels great to have a study buddy. I mean, I used to study together with friends when I was in school, but the inability to stay focused made me feel like an outlier.

• Like 3