Philipp

The Hobby Corner

Hey everybody,

I'm curious about what hobbies people picked up after quitting games. But I don't want this to just be a list of hobbies - Cam already did a great job there - instead let this be a place to share your experiences. What do like about certain activities, what do you not like about it. What progress did you make since you started. What difficulties did you have to overcome? etc.

• Like 1

Running. It was hard at first and I wanted to do anything but running - but I had told too many people that I wanted to do a marathon so couldn't back out.

Tried a few other hobbies but found I was simply using them to replace games - ie to satisfy escapism. I think that is the hardest thing about finding a new hobby - is they can't simply just replace gaming, you need to change your intent too.

• Like 1

@giblets I know what you mean, when I started with swordtraining it pretty much was my "replacement"-hobby. But over time it changed and nowadays it's a healthy hobby. I think that's one of the most important lessons in life we all have to learn: Not to do things to have an excuse that we don't have to deal with something else (like life, responibilities, etc.), but for the sake of DOING.

My hobby: drawing - I love it because it frees my mind. Whenever I draw it's like all my knowledge, emotions and past experiences come together and I can put it on paper (or digitally on the desktop……… 😕  )
The hardest part was actually enjoying drawing in the beginning because of the classic mindset of "Drawing is for those who have talent". But as soon as I broke through that barrier it became so rewarding, seeing the progress I made with every drawing.

Edited by Philipp

From my point of view, it is a great thing to try all kinds of replacement hobbies. Even though you don't end up sticking to them you still learn something new, meet new people and find out something about your personality you didn't know before. For me personally, these hobbies included various martial arts like kendo, tae bo, capoeira, as well as dancing lessons (lindy hop), making music and other stuff.

• Like 2

There 3 things I picked up though one of them I was doing during gaming

1.Making animated movies (my own original ideas) and later picked learning how to make YouTube channel (after quitting to game)

2.I invented a game where I would go to shopping area where I felt safe at and I would walk the whole shopping area without going into any store, the reason is to find unique stores and discover everything, then when I walked back if I found some unique stores I would go and look around in them. The rule of thumb is to avoid stores you have already been in and find something different.

3.I took up Geo cashing and use eventbrite to see if I can find other events as well meetups and meet in small groups.