NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Am I addicted to gaming?

Hello my name is Michael and I'm 27 years old, I'm wondering if I'm addicted to video games. I'm at a point where I don't enjoy video games anymore but I still play them and can't stop, it's been like this since 2015. It has negatively affected my finances, I have spent $600 on games when that $600 should of been towards savings and student loans. I would buy games not enjoy that game and keep buying them and not enjoying them, I have bought 20 games and didn't enjoy a single one but kept buying them thinking I will enjoy the next one. I also get irresistible urges to play game I don't like, I feel obligated to play it seems. I have also bought Xbox Live and refunded it over 35 times the last few years.

I look up gaming videos when not playing, I do that 4-6 hours per day even if I'm not interested in gaming. I sweared off online multiplayer games saying I won't play no matter what for 90 days and I broke that rule on the 18th day watching so many gaming videos this week and playing lots of multiplayer games, I felt so bad about it. I just spent my money which should of been towards food and student loans on a $65 game, I couldn't resist it. I felt so guilty and hated myself. I have been in denial for years I just can't accept I have addiction. Lastly 10 years ago when my xbox died and the red ring of death I got very depressed and call my friend how I was thinking of suicide because my Xbox died. Thank you everyone for reading and hope you can help me determine if this is an addiction or not, I'm getting really desperate right now. 

Edited by Michaels_World
  • Like 3

I believe it would'nt hurt in your case if you'd see a therapist - it seems you got an addiction or act compulsive. Maybe both. I guess it could also be something like shopaholism? Note that it's possible to have multiple addictions at the same time.

I have not enough psychological knowledge and are not in anyway associated with psycholigic therapeutical treatment. From my amateur point of view I'd guess that this/these might be a first hint.

It honestly sounds to me, that you could need professional help with the issues you mentioned.

1 hour ago, Michaels_World said:

I have bought 20 games and didn't enjoy a single one but kept buying them thinking I will enjoy the next one. I also get irresistible urges to play game I don't like, I feel obligated to play it seems. I have also bought Xbox Live and refunded it over 35 times the last few years.

When I was still addicted, I was acting similar. I would buy games, especially on sales, but I would'nt even play around 50% of the games bought ever. But I kept doing it, year after year.
I bought all these games, just so I had them in my library and it felt weirdly good that way.

Once a beloved game was shut down or I lost interest over time, I also wanted to have the same lovey dovey feeling for another game. Yeah, it's like a desperate search for that same "adventurous trip" we are so used to.

We are in that regard, very much like a drug addict.
In order to keep ourselves satisfied, we crave for that same kind of experience. I guess our good old friend dopamin is to blame here once again.

Hi Michael , hope you are feeling better for posting on here, it is a big move to question your feeling so well done. I have been getting to the stage lately where I would have a compulsion to buy games and then I would get bored of them quickly, it was like an immediate high followed by dissatisfaction, and I wonder if this was my mind telling me what I was doing was wrong. I totally get where you are coming from with the compulsion to play games you don't like.

To be honest, and I just want to hlep you be clear here so ou can move forward,  it does sound like you have an addiction, do you have any other activites you enjoy more than gaming ?

I think  Silent3d   has it right, and it wouldn't hurt for you to see a therapist and maybe to spend some time having an honest self assessment, to determine in your own mind,as to whether it is an issue.