Philipp

My Drawing Journal

Good Evening, (Day 0)

I decided I'll start a new day counter. so here it is day 0 / 90 SPOILER: It's not about gaming - but if I complete it at ONCE without even ONE more relapse AND make it through all three exams I'm gonna get myself a few nice hours of massages as a reward.

Additionally, since my schedule doesn't allow sword training on Tuesday anymore I signed up for parkour training on Mondays.

Today I started working on an environmental sketch for a game design assignment that we have to do until next week. Pretty hyped for this even though I've never drawn an environment before. Also, my team's project-suggestion was accepted, so we'll start working on it soon 😄

• Like 1

Should have known you were a gamer designer. All the drawings make so much sense now 😂

Also, sword training? 😮 where do I go to sign up for this?

• Like 1

Day # 1 / 90 - wohooo more than one Percent DONE 😄

@Deku Hey, just google for a HEMA (historical european martial arts) club in your town. (Seems like they are becoming a lot more popular and there are some in most major town). If you have the time I'd totally advise to give it a try if you are into swords, the community is amazing and welcoming, it gives you a good workout and also learning from the original sources is quite fun. I trained long sword and dagger for more than a year now and not being able to go for the next few months really hurts 😧

Also I'm not really a game designer but we have classes and most of what we learn there translates really well into all the other stuff. For example you have game animation which is a specialized field of our 3D animation classes. Then there's level design, where we use what we learned in 3D modelling. And so on.... And the assignments keep pushing me to draw 😄

I just went shopping and met a nearly homeless guy who's trying to get by with selling newspapers. Don't know why, but I stopped and gave him a bit more than the newspaper would normally cost. He was nice and we talked a little bit, he told me about his children, just entering school. And he started to cry because he has a meeting in the afternoon because he can't pay the rent anymore. Got me thinking that we should appreciate the stuff we have more. But he seemed happy that he could at least talk to someone who listened.

NOW: BACK TO WORK

EDIT:

So, my environmental sketch got accepted by the group and I already started painting the concept art. We're gonna do a jungle habitat of a spider. So I get to draw a loooooot of green stuff. Thought it'd be cool to mix it up with a greyish kind of tree stomp and some brown tones.

Fake_Screenshot.thumb.jpeg.b41cbad053036405191626ed9a494764.jpeg

There's still soooo much work to be done, but I think it's a good start for the first day.

Workout wasn't that great today. My muscles were so sore today, so I only did a little dance-cardio. Still, it was fun and got my mind off of things.

Edited by Philipp

Day #2 - awesome, still no cravings 😄

Was busy the WHOLE DAY --> Lectures until lunch and then homework. LOADS of it.

Here's my progress of today:

Fake_Screenshot.thumb.jpeg.cad3f72e44acdfc924508b58673094fa.jpeg

Now, I'll take a break and afterwards continue learning…….. This madness will go on for the next 4 weeks LOL - Sadly, next week will be the last drawing-assignments, then it will be either 3D-modelling or Programming 😞

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Philipp said:

Day #2 - awesome, still no cravings 😄

Was busy the WHOLE DAY --> Lectures until lunch and then homework. LOADS of it.

Here's my progress of today:

Fake_Screenshot.thumb.jpeg.cad3f72e44acdfc924508b58673094fa.jpeg

Now, I'll take a break and afterwards continue learning…….. This madness will go on for the next 4 weeks LOL - Sadly, next week will be the last drawing-assignments, then it will be either 3D-modelling or Programming 😞

Wow that looks really good will be interesting so see how it progresses

@Peregrinator thx, Indeed, seeing not only the endresult, but following the creation of something makes things waaay more interesting because you experience all the work that goes into it and I love the guessing on how it turns out in the end 😄

Fake_Screenshot_Version2.thumb.jpeg.c879a763a078484895b93f2ed66e4205.jpeg

Chose a different Color for the background plants to achieve a more balanced composition. Tomorrow I'll only need to refine the plants a bit more and rework the middle ground.

Also the pinky plants seem to work great as a hint on where to go which would make navigation a bit easier once the map is finished.

…………. And before anybody ask, YEAH I KNOW I should have learnt instead, but the picture kept bugging me in my mind because of not making a good composition…….. So I'll just learn tomorrow instead of working on the concept art. - Have to wait for a answer of my team anyway what they think of adding a second dominant Color to the level-design.

Good night guys.

Already started working on the next pic for the character design assignment. Used photo-references for this one - Couldn't get the perspective right, so the upperbody was basically taken as it was in the reference photo. I just reworked it to depict my character.

Will work on gettin poses in 3/4 view right, once I have spare time for personal stuff.

Also, since the character setting has to do with slavery, hate, depression and revenge I guess it comes naturally that working on it brings a somewhat dark mood with it.

471989444_DynamicPoseSkinwalker.thumb.jpeg.c89865d96a658719f4b54f1623f74c3c.jpeg

Day 3 / 90,

Still no craving and it already seems to affect me. I seem to be more trusting and open to other people. Invited my flatmates to have dinner together today. I cooked for us all. Funny, we've been living together for over a year now, but since we are totally different and our interests couldn't be further apart we never spent a lot of time together and that was out SECOND dinner together since.

Tomorrow I'll focus on the homework-stuff that doesn't have anything to do with drawing. I'll have to finish these and then I can concentrate on drawing again. Before I have laid out the light and shadow areas, so when I pick it up again the day after tomorrow, I'll be able to go straight to painting without having to plan the light-setup first.

679005017_DynamicPoseSkinwalkerlightsketch.thumb.jpeg.777545f2eff2e0c5ff1452d049828695.jpeg

Edited by Philipp

Day 4 / 90,

This is going better than I expected 😄 

Today I continued studying, drew a little bit, studied even more, did some homework (even though not as much as I planned) and watched a movie.

Looking forward to parkour-training tomorrow.

On 10/9/2018 at 6:34 PM, JustTom said:

Looks cool. You could probably do freelancing work with this 🤔

@Philipp I really recommend giving it a shot. The best way to increase your skill would be facing additional challenges. Of course, it depends on your current workload whether or not adding additional tasks makes sense.

• Like 1

Heyho,

Day 5 / 90,

Went to Parkour-training today - am disappointed now…. Had to realize that it's the same way as a few year back, when I quit parkour. Won't go into more detail about the reasons. - Will go once more, maybe it was just because it was the trainers first class 😕 and decide if I wanna stay after that.

@MaxHofbauer Thx for your believe in me 🤗 , but yeah, my current workload would keep me from going freelance anyway - only possibility to get the time needed would be to ditch my sports-routine (which I'm not willing to do)

@Rualani I'll do my best to keep it up 🤗

1776335717_DynamicPoseSkinwalker.thumb.jpeg.4b9f515fe736d897fdc2cef1c9eaa9b1.jpeg

Progress for today - I'm quite happy with the dress. The hands still look awkward af 😄 will have to rework them tomorrow

Edited by Philipp

Hey,

Just finished my current workload - will take a break now……...

Here's the "finished" painting - today was deadline and we got a ton of stuff to do so I had to do it the fast way and go comic-style --> I'm not happy about it, but that way at least I got to do the other stuff in time.

1569639883_DynamicPoseSkinwalker.thumb.jpeg.54ffb622edb5095abde58e26a64fdba8.jpeg

Also, I had to kick that violett Color out - it just didn't fit the character.

Also did programming homework and learnt for my exam next week. From Friday to Monday will be EXTREMELY busy days. So I won't get around to drawing (probably) 😧

• Like 1