Philipp

My Drawing Journal

Hey,

So, I'm back to writing journals, because it really helped me reflect on my actions during my days. This time, my goal's mostly to keep up drawing regularly. So, I'll post my sketches and stuff here and I'll also start a new day-count.

To start off strong here's my stuff from the last days:

DSC_0233.thumb.JPG.82d5eebcc3f03e222fddf834d161f1ab.JPGDSC_0234.thumb.JPG.430552b3deb4fc6c2408f66d808835ae.JPG

DSC_0236.thumb.JPG.c2b78ad42f29884e265578e6340d286c.JPGDSC_0235.thumb.JPG.62bfda8976998b8246568387665a58c3.JPG

DSC_0239.thumb.JPG.d905fdf474067f312542254c35e54e8d.JPGDSC_0240.thumb.JPG.3cf8739129ba10a8efea4ea62d77cde9.JPG

Focused on dynamic Poses next up on my To-Draw-List is learning to shade properly

Have a nice day.

• Like 2

Day Nr. 3,

After watching a few tutorials yesterday, today I started trying to shade with cross-hatching:
Crosshatching_Exercise_1.thumb.jpeg.17618470d8feac6584cd1c9a4b1c3c9e.jpeg

still takes me an EXTREME amount of time thinking about lightsource, shadows and stuff but it's an EXTREME improvement to last time I tried to figure out shading - since I didn't have any scheduled drawing time back then, I just stopped at one point and going back to my comfort zone - THAT STOPS NOW --> will finish this piece until Sunday - maybe I'll give it to my mother as a present - HA would force her to hang it somewhere in the house even though she HATES Nude-drawings ^^ she was shocked when she found out that I did go to an actual live drawing session ^^

Also started assembling a team for this semester's media project where I'll probably be creative "manager" --> so, I'll just be the one who has to take responsibility for the team members screwing around without getting shit done -.-

AAAAND last but not least I learned for my upcoming exams. OOOOOhhh, I also trained with my sword for an hour --> damn that was a productive day ?

@Deku thx, means a lot /hug

Today was a great day - even though I got up kinda late -.- again

But I finished learning 2 chapters for exams, got strawberry-dumplings (I sooo hope that google-translate is right about that one) for lunch --> got some from my mum and omg they are soooo good. For dinner I cooked myself (I love it when whatever I fabricate in kitchen turns out great).

Also got a decent workout today: cycling and pull-ups.

And now to the most important part --> I focused on drawing the face today: 

face.thumb.jpeg.d2f2c0d415abca1d7698d5bbc5b84878.jpeg

Mentally I had a small downfall in the afternoon. Loneliness creeped in  but it went by as soon as I got back to drawing. I don't think it was caused by being disconnected to people (even though at the moment I'm kind of living in isolation) but rather in those moments where I'm not connected to what I'm doing --> the feeling emerged when I took a too long YouTube break from learning and just wanted a little time to pass...…...

Gratitude list:

- Not giving up on drawing

- A supporting friend who's always there when I need to vent my frustration. Even though he lives on the other side of the country.

Hope you're all having a good day.

Free (digital) hugs for everyone who reads this far ?

Finished drawing the head today:

Head.thumb.jpeg.d007f9ca286f3805b6ad981aff835aec.jpeg

Other than that spent my day learning and doing some sports-training.

Gratitude list:

- All the great tutorials and online-classes out there

- Being quite satisfied with my life atm

Good n8

• Like 1

Hey,

So I finished the body today and wanted to make a little recap of what I've learned over the past days:

body.thumb.jpeg.75ed0b2c79ace2150a3e5248bdeb9019.jpeg

- Basics of Shading and how to go from pure line sketches to shades

- Basics of anatomy and how to make muscles look 3-dimensional

- Anatomy of hands (next thing on my list will be underarms, elbows and upper arms --> the kill the flow of the whole right arm...… -.-)

- Composition:

+ how to use lines to create a visual flow

+ mixing Detailed and not so much detailed areas to create points of interest

- using contrast

Next Week:

- Finish the staff and put the snake on in

- Add Clothing

- Add the Wings

Also I started learning to dance so I can go to parties without ending up getting bored and drunk. Realized that I loved dancing when a friend of mine taught me a few steps from old dance styles but since I wanna go out more in the future I started to learn cutting shapes / shuffle. This will be my challenge for this year.

@Cam Adair Thx man, drawing really taught me that hard work pays off and NO skill is just for the "talented" people.

@Deku Haha thx, don't worry, that's just my mind putting things together on the go and hopefully in the end it will be something recognizable - at the moment I'm having some kind of harpy/succubus/human in mind (that's what the wings, horns and the claws are for) - I'll maybe write a character-description when the drawing is finished ?‍♂️

Gratitude list:

- Music from Janet Devlin / Caleb Hyles / Jonathan Young --> really inspiring while working

- Online-Tutorials about Data-structures that explain the topic 10-times better than my teachers notes ?

- One last week of nothing but learning/drawing/training/cooking         oh and don't forget the best part: EATING what I cooked ^^

Good night everyone.

PS: data-structures and algorithms still beat the crap out of me ?

Edited by Philipp
FORGOT SOMETHING IMPORTANT
  • Like 1

Love it! I never made it very far past stick figures myself, so your drawing looks insane to me, even if it isn't quite finished yet.

Also love your decision to learn dancing. Seems like it's a really important skill for boosting one's confidence at parties/social events, so I think it's great that you're picking it up. Good luck with that!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deku said:

Love it! I never made it very far past stick figures myself, so your drawing looks insane to me, even if it isn't quite finished yet.

Also love your decision to learn dancing. Seems like it's a really important skill for boosting one's confidence at parties/social events, so I think it's great that you're picking it up. Good luck with that!

Well..... you built a beating "heart" out of stemcells…… I'd say my drawings are nothing compared to that Oo

For me parties always were extremely awkward because there was "NOTHING" to do …….. so I hope that improves the situation ^^
And when my half-bro finally marries, I'm gonna blast that walz dancing people away with some shapes ?

• Like 1

Good Evening,

Today's been great (only negative to say is that I slept for WAAAAY too long --> 11 a.m.)

But other than that I worked a LOT - finished 2 chapters of Datastructures - now it's up to repeating

Dancing Progress: I have the first of three base steps down pretty well - now it's about speeding it up to about 120 bpm and learning the second one.

And the progress I'm most proud of:

1273381903_CrosshatchingExcercise1.thumb.JPG.b3d38b7a725eb01dbecbaca82fd5e838.JPG

Last thing to do are the wings - will have to watch a few videos on how to go about this, cause seriously I've no idea where to even start ?

Gratitude list:

- "Not gonna die" by Skillet - really good to get into a flow ?

- The shopkeeper of our local shop being nice as always - We really don't appreciate those people enough

Also, I invited a friend of mine over for the weekend to play some cardgames and go for a short hike. Already HYPED

Wish everybody a glorious day.

• Like 1

Hey there,

Today's one of those days that you already know are fucked before it really started……..

The only productive thing I did today was training and dancing for 2 hours, oh and I cooked and did housework. And now, for the rest of the day, I'm just gonna watch Netflix mindlessly ...….

Tomorrow I'll get back to learning - but the shitty weather (It's freezing even IN my damn room……) killed my motivation today - yeah I know…… fuck motivation buuuuuuuut NOPE see ya tomorrow

Hi,

Been writing a backgroundstory for the character I'm drawing and figured that it was boring. So I came up with another way of describing her. I WROTE A POEM omg - my first poem ever - please let me know what you think of it (here goes nothing):

A fresh Breeze flowing in Circles and Waves.
Trees in the forest creaking, their leaves she craves.
From the mountain range
She brings with her change.

And so, from total stagnation she saves.

- Lady Wind

I think the middle part still need work ?:/ 

I still haven't figured out how to draw wings though………...

Dance-Progress: It's going well - learned the second base step today and how to transition going from one direction to another. Tomorrow I'll learn the third base step and next week will be all about transitions between the base steps.

ToDo: Tomorrow start going through MediaTechnology Practice sheets and listen to the first two web-development readings again.

Now I'll watch one more tutorial on drawing wings.

Gratitude list:

- Honey, Tea and loads of white chocolate (yeah I know I shouldn't………)
 - Seeing Beauty in Life (I just recently got reminded that I'm one of the lucky ones - so many people don't recognize the NOW anymore and all they care about is how to get MORE of whatever in the future - don't get me wrong, thinking about your future and planning in the long term is a good thing, but don't give up LIVING NOW for it).

See ya.

• Like 2

One Wing to go

Went for a very simplistic One-Tone Shading to make it fit the overall composition ….. Not the perfect solution but I wanna get on to some exercises and then a new drawing.

@Deku I'm glad you liked it ? Already feared people would laugh at that little poem ?

Wing 1.jpeg

It's finished ? - totally proud on how far I've come.

LadyWind.thumb.png.68c94da79f1eb07f392097b89d4ebb60.png

Next few days will be LOTS of studying. But for now, I'll reward myself and go cycling for 1 - 2 hours.

• Like 2

Dude, Philipp...

these drawings are AWESOME!

Keep at it, man they turn out great! I remember you mentioned thinking about starting studies or an apprenticeship soon.

How about some incorporation of your ability to drawn into this mix... Ever thought about working towards a design position? That might suit you - Let me know what you think about it.

Also great to hear you're enjoying life. Being grateful is the essential step towards happiness and getting rid of an addiction.

I hope you have a great day, Sir!

Cheers,

Max

Hey - Ok I guess it's time to give an update on what happened over the summer holidays,

@MaxHofbauer Yeah, I stayed in university. I was already in a course for media design, but at the time I started I did so to become a game artist. Then I got a whole lot of problems which in the end led me to gamequitters… (That's my third journal actually LOL) Then I figured that I wouldn't wanna work in the industry, which caused some of my problems, I kept in that program to get a well paid office-job in marketing.  (That was after not playing video games for about 4 months) That's about the time I had a serious mental breakdown (if you can call it that), where I was thinking about leaving university (<-- my post about starting an apprenticeship) and I spent the sommer holidays sorting things out, thinking about what I wanted to achieve in my life and took a break from gamequitters. I started playing video games for 1 month (played together with my brother since we spent a few weeks together) and after that I just stopped, not even realizing it, but I lost interest in games. I started drawing more and got back my interest in animation. And I wanted to go out more - but it was soooo boring, so I started to learn dancing. Next time I'm going out, I'll just hit the dance floor ?

And so I believe I have finally found what I want to do with my life (at least for now):

- get a job either as animator or 3D artist

- learn to draw professionally

- learn dancing

- go to one party and don't end up bored at the bar (did I mention I had serious social anxiety issues?) well, I've tried to overcome it for a looooong time

• Like 1

Hey!

Thanks for the quick update. Tbh your plan sounds great. 

I just wanted to make sure your artistic skills don't go to waste. I think you do have what it takes and I highly recommend getting a Uni degree, as it will help you down the road.

Animation and 3d art both sound great ?

I'll watch your career with great interest ^^

Learning to dance is essential if you're planning on going out more. It keeps you away from your phone, occupies you, is healthy and a great way to flirt all at the same time ?

Thanks for replying & have a nice one.

Cheers,

Max

• Like 1

Hi,

I'm currently working on a character design assignment. We have to create a humanoid monster character (at first a t-pose sketch, next week a dynamic pose and then sculpt it in 3D until the end of the semester). So I use this opportunity to learn to draw textures. First step was the fur and the dog-mask. Next up will be the dress. I'm so glad that we got a professor that works in the industry and also gives us an insane level of freedom what we want to do with the assignment.

742745898_TextureExcercise.thumb.png.2ef6a945e1eebff5c05d99bedc079ed3.png

For the Character I'm going for some sort of voodoo witch/skin walker type of character that uses actual skin that she sews on her skin or she wears as clothing to transform herself.

Tried a male version first, but ended up not fitting the costume, so I went with a female. As soon as I have time for a private project again I'll do a male character. I definitly need the practice because for me drawing men is waaay harder.

EDIT: Dancing is getting better day by day. Today was my first freestyle-notjusttraining-day just for fun and I'm amazed. Made it through 3 songs without falling over my own feet. 2 of those songs I didn't really know but I was still able to keep the pace. It feels just great moving to music. It gives the tracks a whole new dimension - like going from 2D to 3D movies.

Other stuff I have to do:

- Write applications for a summer job this week.

- Learn for exams

- Finish two assignments

Edited by Philipp
  • Like 2

Bro that is amazing O__O like something out of cinematic trailer for a cool video game.

Can't wait to see how it turns out!

• Like 1

Hey :)(:

I'm making progress with the Character Design. Changed the Face to a more creepy look, but it still needs a LOT of work.

For the Skin I went with the dark tone but with patches of Skin from her victims 😄 muahahaha.

As clothing I chose a black dress, since it fits better to the cloak and I added a necklace with an eye (since she's a witch - why not :D)

I'll probably re-add the shoulder-face since I really liked the look. At last I'll have to some broken chains to her wrists.

Monsterdesign.thumb.jpeg.4e391d84c131a502a2d001ea7072e087.jpeg

Still not sure what i think about the silver pieces though 😕 maybe change them to something darker?

@Deku THX bro 🤜🤛 Wanna see how it turns out toooooo - my mind's exploding with too many ideas right now - I'm gonna write a teaser-poem to get some of 'em out...…  

Here's today's progress:

Other than that, today was a great day. Got some work done, went for lunch with a bunch of people from school.

Good night

Edited by Philipp

The basic Design is finished 😄

Monsterdesign.thumb.jpeg.e4b8f5517002678230aa08f70c55548a.jpeg

Next on the list will be to draw a dynamic pose of the character which shows it's personality.

Edited by Philipp
  • Like 1

Hey,

@JustTom Oo thx, I'm flattered, but I don't know - I still got sooo much to learn about drawing and I totally don't wanna rush it. So, for now I'll stick to sticking waaay too much time into simple assignments for praxis and private projects 😄    ……………. (yeah, a simple pencil sketch of the outlines and some details would have been enough for the asssignment 😉 buuuut it was  soooo much fun and I learnt a LOT.)

BTW: I added the weapon-design and some broken chains - nearly forgot to add them 😕