I completed my 90 day detox in April. But it didn't do much. I just believed that being the 90 days without games will make me happier. But it didn't really. I spent the detox in my hobbies, school, and browsing the internet.

But a while ago I saw @Moe Smith 's post Quit it all! Gaming wasn't enough. And there he said he was getting the dopamine highs from alternative activities. Like manga, browsing internet and browsing youtube. 

And that was my magic bullet. It's my second day not browsing the internet mindlessly. And it's amazing. I can feel feelings and emotions, like Moe.

But the problem is I'm feeling anxious all the time. Because I have to be aware that I don't mindlessely browse the internet. I don't know how much is too much, and which activity is a bad one where I get too much dopamine. Is listening to music bad during the detox? 

I can't quit internet entirely that is sure. And quitting youtube would prevent me from many things. Like if a friend if a friend asks me to watch a funny video or I have to listen to a song I practice on piano.

So which activities I have to prevent for the dopamine levels to lower? Is this like a Detox, like if I recognize my self browsing the internet do I fail? What should I focus on now?

Edited by Cindpline
  • Like 1

Nail on the head. I had this moment of clarity a couple of weeks back where I realized that whether it was games or YouTube or movies or even fiction books: all of those things were a means to live other people's emotions without experiencing my own.

Like I realized that I don't love people close to me very strongly. I don't feel extremely sad when time calls for it or extremely happy. I'm almost always just "meh" because I don't live my own life, I just experience others' or fake mine through games (through fake achievements, milestones, etc). 

I've completed a 90-day game detox, but my new detox includes any video content unless it's something I actually need. So random TED talk, even if useful = no. But if I need to look up how to do something, YT is the best for that and I use it. It feels damn good, I actually feel unplugged finally.

I think it takes trial and error. If you know the feeling & behavior that comes with the dopamine rush from games, it won't take long to recognize the same from other behaviors. Eliminate all those. 

I don't really think there's a point in trying to quit one habit at a time because the dopamine problem is still there and so having any one of those habits is enough to bring back all of them at some point. But there may be others who disagree.

As for anxiety... just shooting in the dark here, but my guess would be that it's your brain not knowing what to do without the stimulation. I say embrace the new you! The new you that can just sit there and enjoy life without doing anything particularly exciting.

Not sure if that's helpful =/

The point of the 90 day detox isn't to stop gaming. If all you do is not game or not do game related things, but otherwise change nothing else, you've totally missed the mark.

The point of the 90 day detox is to use it as a platform to transform your life. The idea is to replace gaming and gaming related activities with things that align with the dream life that you want to live. That means identifying what is important to you and putting a plan in place to make it happen.

You don't have to know these things right away. You can figure them out just by exploring life and other activities. The point is to start getting engaged in real life.

Hey @Cindpline,

18 hours ago, Cindpline said:

But the problem is I'm feeling anxious all the time. Because I have to be aware that I don't mindlessely browse the internet. I don't know how much is too much, and which activity is a bad one where I get too much dopamine. Is listening to music bad during the detox?

My first advice is: relax. There aren't any exact measurements of time to compare. What you actually need is to not waste your time on Internet if you can do something more productive. From now on, everytime that you or your body want to browse Internet, ask yourself: "What else could I do instead of this?" and, if you can find an answer, stop what you are doing and do that thing. For example, it could be to clean your room, wash the dishes, study for an exam, do homework, read a book, go for a walk, learn or improve a skill, etc, etc.

19 hours ago, Cindpline said:

I can't quit internet entirely that is sure. And quitting youtube would prevent me from many things. Like if a friend if a friend asks me to watch a funny video or I have to listen to a song I practice on piano.

So which activities I have to prevent for the dopamine levels to lower? Is this like a Detox, like if I recognize my self browsing the internet do I fail? What should I focus on now?

Yes, this is like a detox. But like you said, you can't quit Internet entirely. It's just a matter of productivity. If your browsing has a meaning and helps you do something productive, like studying or improving a skill, then I wouldn't consider that failing. But if you are browsing for hours just because you are bored and waste hours watching a random documentary or reading random wikipedia pages or reddit threads that don't help you, then that would be a failure. 

I hope this helps you understand a little bit better ?