NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

How can I stop procrastinating and actually do stuff?

Silent3d

Hi,

I find myself procrastinating quite a lot.

I made a weekly list of recurring activities, such as a chess club, volleyball, visiting a Cafe, trying a Yoga class or playing a card game with a group. It's a free time shedule or how you call it.

But there is one big issue I'm encountering at the moment: I have yet to make the first step and leave the house in order to do these activities.

Instead of going out, I stay inside, browse the web, watch youtube videos, read blogs or make my own fantasy cards with a card creator tool.. But all of this won't bring me closer to my goals.

I really want to try all these new activities, but I somehow cannot get over to the last step of actually going out and do it.

Any ideas or tricks you guys did or learned in the past during your detox?

Hey! This is something that happened to me too. I am very lazy and subconsciously I always try to not leave the house. But it is all in the point of view.

For example, I remember when I was playing hard, I wouldn't even leave the house for more than 5 minutes per day, and I wouldn't even had left at all but I lived alone and had to buy food. One of the first steps that helped me quitting games and being more prone to not cancel or abandon things was acquiring the habit of going out the house for at least 1h30min every day. I would just walk around the city with my headphones or go somewhere to do something I needed. Just stay out and enjoy the sunlight.

The second thing that helps too is having a friend that goes to the same activity you want to attend, so you would push each other to go. You are more likely to go if you share that activity with someone you can talk to about it, share opinions and make progress together. You won't feel alone in the process.

If you manage to go for some time, and taking for granted that you don't play games at all, adding a new activity to your routine will be easier the more you make it. All that empty time you have now will be filled with it, so you will even want to go because you are doing something that keeps your mind busy, and your mind likes that more than being bored.

This is all I can tell you, all based on my experience. I hope this helps you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2018 at 5:22 PM, Silent3d said:

Hi,

I find myself procrastinating quite a lot.

I made a weekly list of recurring activities, such as a chess club, volleyball, visiting a Cafe, trying a Yoga class or playing a card game with a group. It's a free time shedule or how you call it.

But there is one big issue I'm encountering at the moment: I have yet to make the first step and leave the house in order to do these activities.

Instead of going out, I stay inside, browse the web, watch youtube videos, read blogs or make my own fantasy cards with a card creator tool.. But all of this won't bring me closer to my goals.

I really want to try all these new activities, but I somehow cannot get over to the last step of actually going out and do it.

Any ideas or tricks you guys did or learned in the past during your detox?

It seems like you're piling on way too much all at once. Commit to doing a single activity per week. It doesn't matter for how long. Just commit to doing one thing per week.

If that's even too much, then commit to once per month. Figure out the schedule that will actually get you moving in the right direction. It's better to plan a little bit and actually do it, than plan a lot and do nothing at all.

Regardless of your situation, you can only start from where you are. You need to figure out where that is and go from there.

Good luck!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finally mobilized the courage to visit a toast masters meeting. It was interesting, but I will look for different kinds of events or clubs that suit me better.
Also I figured that I need something more immerse like a card game community and maybe additionally a sports club.

I want it to be recurring each week so I got my routines. It feels more comfortable to me that way.

Edited by Silent3d
grammar
  • Like 2

Props to going to the toast masters meeting man!

Would a card game community be too similar to video gaming? I'm for you exploring a sports club first! Or hit up some old friends and try an activity you've been curious about. I feel like it might require some "activation energy" to step out of the house, but once you're out there (with a friend or so) it gets easier to immerse and enjoy the benefits of a game detox. I personally am interested in trying out a rock climbing gym or just running on a treadmill while listening to a podcast on a skill im interested in learning or an audiobook. Goodluck in finding your next activity. Looking forward to an update!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I've decided to visit a volleyball club in the coming two weeks.

I don't think that card games are too similar. Also one interacts with real people and does'nt hide behind a screen like it's with video games.
Sure I could get obsessed with that card game also, but it would be an activity where I'm forced to go out and interact with people in reality.

Edited by Silent3d

• 2 months later...
On 9/16/2018 at 7:02 AM, PFMA said:

Would a card game community be too similar to video gaming? 

No.  A card game is a social thing with other people.  Also, there is no group of people that are going to acree to play hearts 16 hours a day instead of bathing, eating, or going to work and school.