Deku

Journey to my white coat

Days until SF Biofreeze: 291

Like its irl cousin Michael, Hurricane Midterms is making landfall right now. The next two weeks are going to be the most critical point in the semester,  and my dreams of medical school could very easily go up in smoke if I'm not careful. Here's the rundown of the madness that's about to ensue:

-Stem Cell Lab Midterm Friday 10/12

-Mol Bio Midterm Tuesday 10/16

-Stem Cell Journal Club Midterm Wednesday 10/17

-Understanding the Biotech Industry "Midterm" Thursday (55 minute presentation) 10/18

-Stem Cell Lecture Midterm Monday 10/22

-Stem Cell Journal Club Presentation (~90 minute presentation) Wednesday 10/24

Fortunately, I've largely finished studying for this Friday's midterm, and went to Dr. Abramson's office hours today to get all my questions answered. I know all the stupid Stem Cell pathways, every media component, every step of every procedure we've ever done (rewriting my notebook was totally worth it), and I'm ready to get that sucker out of the way.

Tuesday's Mol Bio midterm is the one I'm most nervous about. Because of the whole Rachael arc I haven't been giving that class its due diligence, and I'm hurriedly trying to make up the lost ground. I've reviewed about a third of the material so far.

I've taken extensive notes on every paper that's ever been presented in SC Journal Club (only 4), and we'll have access to the papers for the exam. I'm not too worried about it, and I know that just one evening of solid preparation should be sufficient to memorize the research question, hypothesis, and main findings of the four papers, especially since I've already done most of the legwork. This one shouldn't be a problem (knock on wood).

Biotech Industry's presentation is stressing me out more than it should, because I am stuck with what has been by far the heaviest team I have ever encountered (and I am including all my years of League of Legends Solo Queue in that statement). Not to be rude, but these guys have somehow managed to prove in just a few short months that primates really are capable of human speech. Because of them I've had to micromanage every detail of this presentation, and I've attended office hours for the last three consecutive weeks to get all the help I can. Hopefully our final presentation doesn't end up being a massive dumpster fire.

Stem Cell Lecture should go the same way as Journal Club. I've really worked hard to read content before class and take good notes, so I'm not too worried about it. The weekend should be more than enough to go through the material.

And I finished my journal club presentation slides last night while procrastinating on Mol Bio studying (~30 slides, so should cover the 90 minutes), so thank God I don't need to worry about that.

Alright, y'all know what's coming up, so don't be alarmed if I don't post on here for a few days. I promise you I'll still be alive and working hard, even if I don't write about it.

Back to work...:'(

• Like 1

Days until SF Biofreeze: 289

Oh dear.

The stem cell lab exam was very hard. Dr. Abramson started the exam at 9 and gave us 2 hours to finish, and by 11 not a single person had turned their paper in. I reviewed all the tiny details of the lecture powerpoints even though I figured it would be overkill, and I'm truly glad I did or I would have been beyond fucked. Even though she said the exam wouldn't be very hard, Dr. Abramson really didn't pull her punches this time around. 

Anyways, no time to dwell on that one. I know I came pretty close to giving it my all in my preparation, so even if I failed I have no regrets. Got Mol Bio on Tuesday, so have to reset and start preparing all over again.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2018 at 8:06 AM, Deku said:

because I am stuck with what has been by far the heaviest team I have ever encountered (and I am including all my years of League of Legends Solo Queue in that statement

Nice meme. Much appreciated.

Are you also including your mom? Ohhhhhh..!

Edited by JustTom
  • Like 1

Days until SF Biofreeze: 286

Scores for the stem cell lab exam came back today (see below...)

IMG_1038.jpg.6cf10eb31efd3515be9ff82a2bbac4c1.jpg

Frankly I'm less happy than disappointed because I know I could have done better. I guess it's a good day when your professor writes "Wow!!!" on your exam though.

Maybe I'll be a little more excited once all the midterms are over and done with.

Back to studying folks. Mol Bio tomorrow and there's still a ton I have to do for it.

• Like 2

Days until SF Biofreeze: 285

Stayed up until 1 cramming for Mol Bio (I would have been done earlier but I went to bible study for 2 hours as well), and I think it may have been just enough to get me through the exam this morning with an acceptable mark (knock on wood). There weren't any questions that I had no idea how to answer, and I feel pretty good about most of my responses. This was the big exam I was really worried about, so I consider myself halfway through midterm season at this point.

Stem Cell Journal Club's midterm tomorrow morning is next up to bat. Time to put that sucker away.

• Like 2

Nice man! Looks like you've got this in the bag.

Not to be a downer, but be particularly careful in this period of time since you're going to be tired. Also, once you're done, you're going to have an urge to relax probably. Make sure it's not through games and the like.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2018 at 11:08 PM, Deku said:

Frankly I'm less happy than disappointed because I know I could have done better.

-_-;; Dude, I was an overachiever in school/uni too, but 97.5% is pretty damn good. Although, good on you for having high standards for this stuff.

• Like 1