NEW PODCAST: Do Loot Boxes Lead to Problem Gambling?

karabas

Karabas's Journal: Part 2

Day 0/30 ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Pomodorro Lvl 2 (56/100) 
Sleep before 12am: 0 (longest streak: 17)

No phone in washroom 0/30
Umra resolutions (50%): 1/30
30-minute study: 2/30

Ok, clearly 120 days is a bit beyond me right now. I need a smaller, more realistic target. I can try going for 30 days, that seems more doable.

A show I really like is coming out in that time period. If it gets really bad, I'll try to content myself with reading episode summaries. That has helped me in the past.

At least gaming cravings seem to have died down significantly. I just need to deal with my video watching. Spent most of the day doing that today.

I think partially it's the fact that I'm in my office alone most of the day, but it's not all of it.

Cravings to watch something or to game can be so strong sometimes, it's overwhelming. I try to push through and end up caving, because I'm so worried about productivity. I think I need to bite the bullet and get out of the house in those circumstances. Long-term gain, hopefully?

I need to think about this more and pay attention. I've gotten lazy with journaling here...

8 hours ago, karabas said:

A show I really like is coming out in that time period. I

Is it game of thrones season 8? 😄

Besides that, going out of the house to a dedicated work place is key, some coffee shop can be good too, but you already know this. What I'm going to recommend that you might not have thought about is co-working spaces. The offices of my internship are at a co-working space and it's AMAZING. The absolute best thing ever for small companies and entrepreneurs(such as you!). At WeWork, you can get a solo spot for just 175e per month and you get unlimited free coffee, all kinds of office facilities such as kitchens, meeting rooms etc., lightning-fast internet and most importantly, the community of hard-working and motivated people. I live in an expensive city so it might be a lot cheaper depending where you live. In most countries, you can consider this monthly payment as office costs for taxation purposes, so you can write it off as expenses even as a solo entrepreneur. 

2 minutes ago, JustTom said:

Is it game of thrones season 8? 😄

Guilty as charged. I should put an asterisk on the word "like", though. I like the books. The show was good until it passed the books. Now I just want to know how it all ends since it's going to be another 10 years or more until GRRM finishes everything up. 😄

4 minutes ago, JustTom said:

What I'm going to recommend that you might not have thought about is co-working spaces

There must be a space somewhere in this city (although the major co-working space in the country isn't available), but I see two problems with it:

1) It'll probably be a daily commute, which is time & money consuming.

2) I'm still sort of "alone" in a coworking space. If I start gaming on watching vids, nobody's going to look at me weird there. Whereas at home, I prefer not to do it in front of my wife... so the social pressure is greater at home.

So I dunno if it's actually better in my case...

I think number 2 is not true, if you get just the cheapest open spot. If it helps you being in a caffee, this will help much more. Especially after you get to know some people over coffee-machine or water-cooler chats. And commuting for me is a great way to get my audiobook time in! hehe

Yeah, maybe. I googled it, there are two places (that I could easily find) that offer ~$90/month (less if you pay monthly), although taxis will cost me another $80/month or so.

That's quite pricey by local standards, but overall not bad. And yeah, I could count it as a business expense. Let's see. I might try it out. Taxi-ing every day is a bit annoying - that's really what's the biggest barrier for me, I think.

Day 1/30 ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Pomodorro Lvl 2 (56/100) 
Sleep before 12am: 0 (longest streak: 17)

No phone in washroom 1/30
Umra resolutions (50%): 2/30
30-minute study: 3/30

Better, thank God. Video cravings still there, but under control so far. 

Well, I'm back folks.

Not gonna do a long one right now. The basic gist is that over the last few months, I've not gamed, but have completely relapsed watching videos. However, thanks in part to my wife, I've been able to keep it from derailing my life entirely. I've been fairly productive and things are going well - even if not as well as they would if I wasn't watching vids.

I'm nearing a year of not playing games - unless I count a day or two of semi-relapsing on playing phone games and old DOS games via online emulators earlier this year.

However, now that game of thrones is over (and on such a bad note... i've lost all interest in the show by the last episode), I feel like I have an opportunity to restart my detox.

I've got travel & family stuff for the next 3 months. It makes sense to do a 90-day detox and see how that goes.

I think I also feel a bit refreshed in terms of detoxing. Haven't done it in some time, I think I can give it another whirl. Not sure what I'll do differently, but let's see.

Will probably start a new topic tomorrow. Stay tuned!

• Like 3