NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Entertainment

Django

What is Entertainment?

From the dictionary:  The action of providing or being provided with amusement or enjoyment: everyone just sits in front of the television for entertainment

So I guess it is subjective or are there things cast in stone, like gaming & movies, that are regarding as pure entertainment and nothing else?

How are you now entertained since you left gaming?

I still watch series, and while I would binge watch them after I first quit gaming, I know only watch one episode a day, while moving on my bike. I really like it.

I also like to read self-help books. I'm only reading my second but I enjoy it a lot. I guess fiction novels are entertainment, but what about those self-help books? Is it also subjective like the dictionary says? Everyone finds entertainment in something different.

Do we need Entertainment to function in life? What is the right balance?

In my eyes entertainment is anything I spend time and money on to enjoy myself. Concerts, books, movies, comedy shows, musicals, phone apps, spotify, netflix, magazine/newspaper, local radio, etc.

So I'm going to tell you about someone I know. When I went to visit my sister at law school I met my sisters roommate. This girls life is full of zero entertainment, 100% productivity. I was shocked. She said it's just the way she is. She grew up in a household where they would be awake at 5am to play hockey before going out to the farm. She feels guilty if she isn't studying or working towards something. I am sure her entertainment comes from a different place, but even she acknowledged she doesn't enjoy herself when she goes out and that she always leaves early because the guilt prevents her from having any fun.

Is it possible to live without entertainment? Yes. Is it the way you want to live your life? That's up to you :)

I think the thing with entertainment, more so,  video games we have to understand is what has really changed. I mean I play / make board games while also investing in myself in either the craft or with just some self help literature. The point being is that look at Modern Video Games. Dissect that for a second. Now I've been playing games since Sega Genesis and at one point, specifically when I played The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, I truly loved games. Here's what I believe changed. 

The internet.

Games became even more social. And as kicker, you can play all you want, for as long as you want, with whomever you want. Before Online games, video games to me, were only so entertaining for so long. A Zelda game would do me good for one play though. My point is that games before the internet were more like books or movies. You read / watched it once and that was that. You moved on. Unless you were a collector. That's a different story. But still, there was no unending content or mouse wheels. 

Entertainment today is designed to stick. It's not just about entertaining really nowadays, but also how much money can we make in keeping people really invested. Thus so also spending a fair bit of time and money on understanding the psychology behind it.  

Makes me think what Entertainment in the future will look like... 

Here's my take: there are two different facets when speaking about entertainment: providing value vs. leaching value. 

For example, you can either draw a picture, or stare at one. You can make a video game, or you can play a video game. You can write a book, or you can read a book. You can make music, or you can listen to music. Etc.

The golden rule is that if you're doing something rather than taking something, you'll generally be having a better time.

If you're doing a public speaking session, or a comedy set, everyone in the crowd could be fucking balling out, but they're never going to be having as much fun as the guy up on the stage. 

Of course, this begs the question, "when it is ok to be absorbing stimulus opposed to giving it"? Obviously if you're an artist in any form, you'd be upset if nobody else ever saw your art because everyone was too busy making their own.

It's a mixture. Find a balance. It's about give and take; moderation. You don't always need to be the guy grinding out. It's perfectly ok to live a little. But you also have to draw the line between putting off actually DOING something in search of "motivation" or "inspiration", and especially if you're just in it for the dopamine rush. Finding that balance is up to you. Some people love the hustle, and some people are perfectly fine living chill, relaxed lives, and just going with the flow. As long as you're not hurting yourself or anybody else, you're not doing anything wrong. Just find what you love and do it, but make sure it's because it's moving your life in the direction you want to go, and not just there to avoid doing what you're meant to do.