NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Dear Diary...

BooksandTrees

Today I'm 103 weeks free from gaming and 105 weeks free from social media. I plan on making today a productive Saturday for the first time. I will study multiple hours. There's only 6 days left til this exam and I'm gonna finish strong and pass. I won't find the results out til December but just having less stress will be great. 

12 hours ago, BooksandTrees said:

Today I'm 103 weeks free from gaming and 105 weeks free from social media. I plan on making today a productive Saturday for the first time. I will study multiple hours. There's only 6 days left til this exam and I'm gonna finish strong and pass. I won't find the results out til December but just having less stress will be great. 

I am wondering how you came this long! two years with no gaming and social media! That seems like a dream to me. The longest I did was about 200 days and then I was back in gaming. It seems you are used to your new lifestyle. Congrats. Can you list your best strategy that I should stick to for getting similar results? Thank you.

Have you ever had any relapse from the day you started the gaming detox?

Edited by Mohammad

8 minutes ago, Mohammad said:

I am wondering how you came this long! two years with no gaming and social media! That seems like a dream to me. The longest I did was about 200 days and then I was back in gaming. It seems you are used to your new lifestyle. Congrats. Can you list your best strategy that I should stick to for getting similar results? Thank you.

Read this post I wrote when I hit 500 days. 

https://forum.gamequitters.com/index.php?/topic/8392-almost-500-days-without-gaming/

Personally, I don't think you're using this website correctly and I don't mean to offend you. All you've been writing is the amount of days you haven't gamed. You're treating it like a counting streak. The point of this is to live life without even noticing that it's been a day or two away from gaming. It's about training yourself to just be living life in a new way that eventually becomes normal. Our old normal was gaming for hours. My normal now is working 9 hours per day, talking to a friend or family member, exercising, studying for my exam or doing a hobby, watching TV or reading before bed, etc.

You have to analyze why you're failing. Every time you log onto this website after a failure you need to analyze the whole situation. How long were you craving games before playing that day? How often do you crave games? What's causing the cravings? What can you do to stop the cravings? What are your triggers? 

You're not being thorough enough. You have to study why you're failing and learn to succeed. Eventually you're going to hate failing more than you like succeeding and you will never allow yourself to fail because the pain of failure is so intensely frustrating that no success could ever do better. In many cases, not just with gaming addiction, but with everything in life, misery leads to success because we're not a miserable species. We aim to be satisfied. Fuck failing.

Good luck

Edited by BooksandTrees
  • Like 2

I studied for almost 12 hours today and really enjoyed it. It was the most successful study day I've had. I started to really enjoy the material because it was so directly related to my career that it was answering questions I had in my profession from random problems on my projects. I didn't grow tired at all. I considered studying more tonight because it was interesting, but I don't want to burn myself out. I woke up late because of being exhausted and was only awake about 12 hours today. I studied for almost all of it aside from eating and a nap. 

I am on pace to complete everything before the exam. I need to keep going. I'm very proud of myself. I just kept telling myself today was going to be a great day and I made it one because of my effort.

• Like 1

I wanted to share this link about hearing voices or sounds that aren't there. I don't have schizophrenia but I do have anxiety and depression. I hear voices and sounds at night when I'm feeling extremely anxious and have to clear my mind. This report basically confirms my situation. I feel better now. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4710580/

• Like 1

Another shitty night's sleep. My retard neighbor stomped around and slammed his doors at 5 am and I woke up a few times. 

I think people are so ignorant. I'm developing a hatred for them already. 

This is more reason to get my exam done. I want to buy a house with little to no neighbors. I like socializing but I need solitude in my home. 

Edited by BooksandTrees
  • Like 1

Books, may it be that the anxiety is caused by the pressure of the exam? 12 hours revision is something I don’t think I have ever done. That would be hard for the brain to process. I’d revise 5-6 hours per day at most before my final exams. 

I can suggest cupping your hands at night and just addressing God by the attributes that you naturally perceive. Ask him for peace in your life and to cure you of any illness. If this gets emotional for you, so much for the better. Your sleep can improve I think.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Amphibian220 said:

Books, may it be that the anxiety is caused by the pressure of the exam? 12 hours revision is something I don’t think I have ever done. That would be hard for the brain to process. I’d revise 5-6 hours per day at most before my final exams. 

I can suggest cupping your hands at night and just addressing God by the attributes that you naturally perceive. Ask him for peace in your life and to cure you of any illness. If this gets emotional for you, so much for the better. Your sleep can improve I think.

It's not anxiety. It's disturbances from my neighbor slamming the door this morning to his car and stomping around his house. My study time is fine. I'm doing well. Thanks. I don't have any illnesses. I just want to keep studying. I'm enjoying the topics I'm studying and making a good day out of it. 

• Like 1

I studied for 12 hours today and feel really good about it. I got so much accomplished today and am doing well on the problems I'm studying. I'm enjoying the topics a lot and could keep doing this. Because of the high volume of hours I put in this weekend I'll be able to have a more peaceful week where it's just doing practice exam problems all through the week until my exam on Friday.

Altogether I studied for almost 24 hours this weekend and am very, very proud of myself. Now for some nice rest.

• Like 2

I finally had a relaxing night and watched a movie before bed. I'm nervous for Friday but I'm determined. I'll feel better after studying tomorrow and doing the practice exam Wednesday. 

Sometimes on nights like tonight I wish I could embrace someone I love and have their support. I do wonder if one day I'll warm up to the idea of sharing my life with a woman again. We'll see what happens. But for now I'm proud of myself for chasing after a dream of mine and hopefully I get it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BooksandTrees said:

Sometimes on nights like tonight I wish I could embrace someone I love and have their support. I do wonder if one day I'll warm up to the idea of sharing my life with a woman again. We'll see what happens. But for now I'm proud of myself for chasing after a dream of mine and hopefully I get it.

You will. I recently found out that it takes me longer to warm up to a woman. I think that it's good, because slow and steady wins the race. I'm not interested in the instability of ONS "relationships".

• Like 2

I finished studying today and took the practice exam. I got a 90 on it and finished with 3 hours remaining (2 in the first session and 1 in the second session. The second session was challenging, though.

I'm going to try and just relax tomorrow and not study. I might read through my tabs just so I know where everything is, but that's it. I want my mind to be pretty fresh since I know I probably won't sleep well until this is all over. I'm really proud of myself for having the ability to study so intensely these past few days. One of my key traits I've been able to hone for my whole life is the ability to just do one thing relentlessly without fading out. I think that's why RuneScape and other online games appealed to me because I could do one thing forever seemingly. I kind of enjoy that narrow path with few options. It's peaceful. 

Applying that to real life is hard and it's important to split things up since it's not healthy to do stuff for that long so often. That's why a lot of us struggled to quit games. I had to accept the fact I could do something for an hour or two and move on. Sometimes I just enjoy doing something for 12-16 hours though. It puts me in a cool state of mind.

My mindset going into this exam is that if I pass, wonderful, if I don't, then I learned a tremendous amount that I'll never forget and it will make me a better engineer regardless. I answered multiple questions I had about my career from studying for this test and feel better. I still have a job and a career no matter what happens on this test. I'm determined to pass and I will pass. Let's fucking do this!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Tomorrow's the day. I'm nervous but ready to do this. I want to give it my best shot and just find hope along the way. I really hope I pass. I mostly want it over with. The pressure is insane to pass. Or maybe it isn't and it's just all coming from me. Whatever it is, I'm taking it very seriously and I'm ready to compete and perform. 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, BooksandTrees said:

I think that's why RuneScape and other online games appealed to me because I could do one thing forever seemingly. I kind of enjoy that narrow path with few options. It's peaceful. 

Applying that to real life is hard and it's important to split things up since it's not healthy to do stuff for that long so often

This happened to me too. Along with a bad attitude, I would still play for hours and hours and not get tired and it seemed like I wasn't cranky. Why do you think this is, that we can stay up for really long hours just constantly playing games, yet then for work, we need to take breaks from time to time? I understand one is passive and not challenging your brain at all, and when your brain is challenged it uses more energy, but still how can we just do it with games but not the important things?

Also I wish you the best of luck on the exam! I hope you receive a grade you're proud of!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, royal panda said:

This happened to me too. Along with a bad attitude, I would still play for hours and hours and not get tired and it seemed like I wasn't cranky. Why do you think this is, that we can stay up for really long hours just constantly playing games, yet then for work, we need to take breaks from time to time? I understand one is passive and not challenging your brain at all, and when your brain is challenged it uses more energy, but still how can we just do it with games but not the important things?

Also I wish you the best of luck on the exam! I hope you receive a grade you're proud of!

Thank you. I think it's important to know that I could learn material that I was interested in without taking breaks, but solving problems takes more thought. Video games depend. I think some games you can just keep playing but others are exhausting and your performance dips down. I just think the fun factor of gaming vs work pushes people over the edge. Plus it's an escape. If you ran a clan online and were in charge of others it wouldn't be as fun. 

• Like 2

I heard some companies give their workers a week or two off whenever there's a test to get additional qualifications. Did your company give you this week off? Because I didn't see you talk about happenings at work for this entire week.
Sometimes professional tests will put in absurd questions because of economics. They want to limit the supply of professionals in order to keep prices stable - a fear of oversaturating the market. You could be perfectly competent and well deserving of a new engineering rank but if there's enough competition, that bar will be raised to absurd degrees.
I think you did past the test and you're just being cautiously pessimistic - or maybe I'm just optimistic.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bird By Bird said:

I heard some companies give their workers a week or two off whenever there's a test to get additional qualifications. Did your company give you this week off? Because I didn't see you talk about happenings at work for this entire week.
Sometimes professional tests will put in absurd questions because of economics. They want to limit the supply of professionals in order to keep prices stable - a fear of oversaturating the market. You could be perfectly competent and well deserving of a new engineering rank but if there's enough competition, that bar will be raised to absurd degrees.
I think you did past the test and you're just being cautiously pessimistic - or maybe I'm just optimistic.

Thanks. I took a week off with my personal vacation time and studied 12-16 hours per day. I took the practice exam and dominated. But it seems that everyone is in the same situation as I am and we all got very strange, difficult tests that tested us on stuff we've never seen. It's disappointing.

• Like 5

Today I'm 104 weeks or also 2 years on my journey free from gaming. I can't believe it's been this long. I feel like a different person and don't really have the words to describe how much this means to me. I wrote a much more detailed post in my 500 days and 1 year away from gaming, but I am tired after that exam I took lol.

I will say that I enjoy life more now and I feel so much healthier and better about everything in general. My health has improved both physically and mentally. I sleep more, I eat better, I communicate more, I live life more, I do new things and don't feel the pull to play games, I perform better at work, and I practice better hygiene, chores, and self care overall. 

Thanks to everyone who has commented over the past year to help. Some of the more helpful people from year 1 to 2 have been @Ikar @TheNewMe2.0 @Icandothis @Phoenixking @DaBest @seriousjay @Alexanderle @ceponatia @Amphibian220 and Vera who doesn't post here but I talk to her online still.

Others have posted and talked to me, but these ones have talked the most. There are different people who helped me in the first year who no longer post here who I mentioned in my 1 year journal. If I left anyone who has ben impactful out I apologize. It's been a mentally draining month for me and I'm still recovering.

Wishing everyone luck and health during these crazy times. 

• Like 7