Read: A Guide to Quit Gaming for One Year

Sign in to follow this  
Meio

Real progamer story and self-tracking tools

Hi, people call me Meio, I'm 19 and I used to be a professional gamer. First, i would like to point out I made some cool excel tools you can use freely, link: 

I played games since my very young age, snake and pacman stuff. Good times, but many things changed. When i was 15, i began my League of Legends journey. When I first heard of people making money by performing my absolute favourite activity, i was amazed. I began working on my dream and a gave it everything, I even thought about League when i was in bed, ways to improve. With this intense setting it wasnt surprise i made it to 1% in just 1 year, leaving tens of millions players behind. My father was trying to hold me back from games, but my parents divorced and I started living with my mom only, thus there was nothing what could stop me then. I was very antisocial, often scared from even talking to my friends, but i didnt need such a skills when i had league. Another year passed and I reached 0.001% of the ladder, making me one of the most skilled players in the world, I already won countless online tournament, attended many offlines and life looked just nice to me, but this is when it all started. During this year, when nothing held me back, i developed countless bad habits and it payed back to me very hard. I got poor health since I was a child. I drank tiny amount of water, i didnt go out, i used very bright monitor without back lighting, i didnt exercise. I dont want to be specific with my health conditions, but one of these who contributed on ruining my career was dry eye syndrome, it was like a lighting. Fast and destructive. My eyes doesnt have ability to product tears anymore, I can only be comfortable with constantly using tear drops, games are making my condition worse. I didnt give up of course, but my career started to fade slowly but surely as everything got painful and I couldnt fully focus on the game. Over next year and few failed tournaments I slowly realised I need to start solving my real life problems, mainly my health conditions (It wasnt problem for me to keep up at school, only after my eyes got dry). So nearly 2 years ago, I gave up on my dream. This of course led me to depression as I had nothing else in my life, it was tough, but I dealt with it thanks to my friend. Over past 2 years I'm somewhat trying to quit, but I was never fully succesful, now i perceive gaming as waste of time. My largest streak were 3 months, but I believe its because I didnt substitute it without anything that would fuel me like League did before. I'm attending university in few months, getting new chance for a new life, thats why I see this as a big opportunity to quit games right now so I dont use them as an escape later.

Thank you for reading and don't forget to check out these tools!

Meio

• Like 3

Great story and welcome!  I think you've got a great chance in front of you to find the path of recovery and spiritual peacefulness.  I look forward to seeing your journey.