NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Idea: total game-free days counter?

karabas

Hey guys,

So I had an idea based on something Cam said at one point, which was that if you relapse, you should try to minimize the number of relapse days and increase the number of game-free days and keep a "high score" of each to motivate yourself.

And one of the things I noticed is that many people struggle if they routinely relapse during the 90 day detox.

So what if, in addition (or instead) of the 90 day detox that resets if you fail, we were to count total game-free days since starting in the community?

The benefit is that it can help people feel more positive about what they've achieved.

The negative is that losing a long detox streak is definitely a strong motivator not to relapse and the counter may make this motivation weaker.

But if a person routinely fails the 90-day detox (as I've seen some members do), the benefit might outweigh the harm.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

Maybe have both counters? The first would be the total of days and the second would be the current streak. There could be even a third for the longest streak. But I don't know if this is even possible in this forum, and I think there have been other similar suggestions. Anyway, sounds like a good idea.

1 hour ago, Peluconus said:

Maybe have both counters? The first would be the total of days and the second would be the current streak. There could be even a third for the longest streak. But I don't know if this is even possible in this forum, and I think there have been other similar suggestions. Anyway, sounds like a good idea.

Oh I didn't mean a counter in the profile... I'm just thinking that most people who have journals usually do some sort of X/90 day counter in their posts as it's a suggestion that's made. Maybe we should start adding this other suggestion as a possibility.

Longest streak is also a great idea, although I know some people who haven't gone beyond 10 days, so that might be a bit discouraging depending on the situation. There needs to be a balance between positive feedback & some pressure

29 minutes ago, karabas said:

Oh I didn't mean a counter in the profile... I'm just thinking that most people who have journals usually do some sort of X/90 day counter in their posts as it's a suggestion that's made. Maybe we should start adding this other suggestion as a possibility.

Ah okay I see what you mean. It's a good idea too. It could be added as optional, for example.

31 minutes ago, karabas said:

Longest streak is also a great idea, although I know some people who haven't gone beyond 10 days, so that might be a bit discouraging depending on the situation. There needs to be a balance between positive feedback & some pressure

I would take it like a challenge. If last time or the best time I did 10 days, then this time I will do at least 11. I think it would work at least for people like me who are a bit competitive. Anyway those are just suggestions, so everyone can choose to do it or not, depending on how they are and how they want to organize their journals.

2 hours ago, karabas said:

But if a person routinely fails the 90-day detox (as I've seen some members do), the benefit might outweigh the harm.

But at the same time, I think that if I put a total game-free days counter, I might actually start playing games regularly again, justifying to myself, saying "Oh well, I spend only like,  5% of my total days playing games. That's pretty good", and maybe I won't really be motivated to improve. Also, after a large number of days, I think it also gives the illusion that each days matter less.

I think that it is better to aim for smaller consecutive days, and build up to 90 days in that case.

2 hours ago, Peluconus said:

Maybe have both counters?

I think having both counters is a great idea actually, but then I feel that the "total days" counter should be reset every once in a while to make each day feel meaningful, which completely defeats the purpose of having that counter together with the "consecutive days" counter.

Edited by Dernbu

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, JustTom said:

This better not be a dab at me! ? 

I personally like the "threat" of losing the days I've been on a streak, once the counter gets to 10+ I feel much more resistant to random relapses like "ahh, I'll just play for 10 minutes, who cares"

Lol, no ? You've gone 10+ days in your detox several times (your record is close to 50 days, right?). I'm talking about people who can't even get a good start where losing the streak is a big deal (i.e. people who fail 3-4 days in).

So yeah, when you have a streak, losing it is a strong motivator. When you don't have a streak, it can be discouraging.

• Like 1