Read: A Guide to Quit Gaming for One Year

Sign in to follow this  
Dernbu

Dernbu's Journal

Hello guys!

I've really been struggling with game addiction recently, or I think it's better to say I realised I am addicted to video games recently. Well, that's progress, right? The first step to solving a problem is to realise you've got a problem. But I've really been struggling to keep my hands off games for quite a while now, and as a high school student in Singapore, with high workload and so on, I really can't afford to fall behind on my work. So I want to try to see if that will help me. It's quite late for me, so I'll probably write my introduction, and explore the forum more tomorrow.

For the 90-day challenge, here are my rules for the challenge:

1. I've uninstalled all games, League of Legends, Steam, and Discord, in case the voice chat with friends tempt me into relapsing again. No reinstalling these back.

2. On weekdays, no social media either, including Youtube, Twitch and other streaming platforms.

3. On weekends, I want to permit myself 1~2 hours of watching videos (maybe watch a documentary or something), but no gaming, or gaming-related videos.

Some additional information:

1. On weekdays, I normally come home at anywhere between 5-7pm, and go to sleep at 9.30pm or so. So I have not so much time to do all the work, so I really don't want to get distracted here.
  2. I will be blocking youtube and other streaming sites for weekends using the Chrome extension StayFocusd.
  3. I will also monitor my progress using RescueTime, which I've installed and forgotten about it for some time. I'm really bad at keeping track of time sometimes. Or most of the time.

So right now, we're at  Day 0 (Sunday).

Productivity: 

Really, really, really bad. My RescueTime dashboard for today tells the story. I got really distracted playing League of Legends, Tetris, etc. that I actually didn't do anything today.

Plans:

For now, I will start studying for upcoming tests, as well as concentrate on the projects I have to make sure I'm not slacking. I'll stop procrastinating, and do the work I'm supposed to do.

Tomorrow I'll come home at around 7pm, so I really want to focus for the 2.5 hours that I have to do some overdue work.

RescueTime Dashboard (Today):

image.thumb.png.dffca65b8c1092c5213fc3e521b2eea6.png

• Like 1

16/7/2018 Day 1 (Monday):

No Games: (1/90)
No Videos: (1/90)
Productivity (<2 hours of distraction): (1/90)

• Sleep

Yesterday, I slept at: 11.30pm
Today, I woke up at:  5.30am
Estimated sleep time: 6 hours

• Productivity

Pretty good actually, I got a bit distracted by social media (WhatsApp), but some of that was unavoidable, I was asking questions and stuff. I guess I'll give myself a bit of leeway on that. But otherwise, I didn't do a bad job today. And I completed most of my goals for today, as well.

• Good things I've done

Pretty productive today, I actually did stuff on a weekday.

Didn't get distracted by phone in school.

• Room for improvement

Better sleep schedule, I should get at least 7-8 hours of sleep a day. I also need to stick to sleeping at a fixed time every week, since I slept so late on Sunday because I slept late on Friday and Saturday because there was no school the next day.

Less distracted by WhatsApp.

• Other comments

But the free time I had to do stuff was quite short today, only about < 2hours. So while I might give myself a pat on the back, this doesn't really say anything, I guess.

Edited by Dernbu
Wrong day number

17/7/2018 Day 2 (Tuesday):

No Games: (2/90)
No Videos: (2/90)
Social Media (<30 mins of WhatsApp): (0/90) 

• Sleep

Yesterday, I slept at: 10.30pm
Today, I woke up at:  5.30am
Estimated sleep time: 7 hours

That's not too bad, I guess.

• Productivity

Not really good, imo. I was really distracted today. Even though I did keep to my commitment of not watching YouTube or playing games, I got really distracted by the stuff around me, like the stuff in my pencil case, on the table, etc. I really couldn't concentrate, and even though I didn't really have cravings or something like that, I just felt really lazy today, and I couldn't even sit through 25 mins at a time for the Pomodoro. The time after school, doing work felt so looong as well. I mean, time literally inched past as I did my work.

• Good things I've done

I think my sleep schedule is improving, I slept around 7 hours last night, and I think it's pretty good, as long as I get myself to sleep earlier on weekends, it should be fine.

I mean, I actually am doing something after school. That's an improvement... over doing nothing... I suppose.

• Room for improvement

Less distracted by WhatsApp. WhatsApp has really been a bane to my productivity today, I've been checking it almost every 5 mins, and when I finally closed WhatsApp web, I kinda got some extreme fomo.

• Other comments

I think being distracted for less than 2 hours is the least of my worries right now, I'm spending 1+ hours on WhatsApp, even though I only spent 2h 40 mins in free time, in total. So, I'm changing my counter now (which I kinda failed at today).

Edited by Dernbu

18/7/2018 Day 3 (Wednesday):

No Games: (3/90)
No Videos: (3/90)

• Sleep

Yesterday, I slept at: 9.50pm
Today, I woke up at:  5.45am
Estimated sleep time: 8 hours

That's pretty okay, I guess.

• Productivity

I think my productivity kinda improved over yesterday. I still felt the fomo, and the severe laziness from yesterday, but I went to headspace to meditate, and I think it helped me recover from my laziness a little bit.

• Good things I've done

Yay! I've reached nearly 8 hours of sleep!

I've started meditating, and I hope I'll continue meditating every day to keep the stress away.

My time on WhatsApp has decreased slightly, but it's still not near the 30 minute mark.

• Room for improvement

Less distracted by WhatsApp.

• Other comments

I think I started off my free time well, and I was more or less concentrated on my work for the first two hours or so. Even with the power of Pomodoro, I think i really started getting tired after that, and even with the Headspace break, I really couldn't find it in me to really continue studying. Rather than going to social media, I think I need to spend my time relaxing on better activities, such as reading a book or something. I really don't want to replace games with social media.

I think the sleep is quite good, I didn't really feel sleepy during any of my revision today, at least compared to the other days, which is always a plus.

I have about 2 hours of free time tomorrow, so rather than the ~5 hours I had today, I'm hoping that spending less time on social media tomorrow will be a breeze.

18/7/2018 Day 4-5 (Thursday & Friday):

No Games: (1/90)
No Videos: (1/90)

• Sleep

My sleep's been ok so far.

Funny thing is, on Thursday, I had a dream about playing games. And I was telling myself to stop playing games in the dream 😁, and I relapsed on that day.

• Productivity

I think my productivity hasn't been all that bad these past two days.

• Good things I've done

Sleep, productivity.

• Room for improvement

Don't get tempted by friends.

• Other comments

Well, I kinda relapsed on Thursday. My friend brought his computer into the class, and I played a lil' bit of Osu! before I realised what I was doing. Better self-control next time! Counter resets anyways. Today (Friday) wasn't so bad, just that I still am spending a lot of time on WhatsApp.

29/7/2018 Day 1(Sunday):

No Games: (0/90)
No Videos: (0/90)

I'm disappointed in myself. I relapsed. Everything has been okay so far... 

I'm restarting, with more drastic measures this time. I've blocked youtube, and other servers on the hosts file, which I hopefully shouldn't be editing in about 3 months or so, and I'll start again, with renewed energy!

Time to sleep.