JustTom

JustTom's Journal 2: Summer Edition

Day 12 & 13 & 14/90 

Thursday was good, Friday was unproductive because of the last night's drinking - absolutely not worth. Saturday was just spent with people on the family trip. Sunday will be more or less the same, so on monday I'm ready to really really focus hard, eat well(I'm getting fat because I can't workout due to an injury) and get in the flow. By the end of the weekend, I will have been out of games for some time and also out of the habit of constantly watching videos so I'm feeling quite confident. Honestly, I'm getting sick of this shit. Lately, I've been bumbling around because I don't have clearly defined short-term goals and the long-term project is delayed. If I want to achieve all the things I want to achieve, I have to step it up a lot. 8 hours of work per day is the absolute minimum(which is 56 hours per week). I must prove to myself that I can do it, otherwise everything else I'm talking about here is completely useless. I'm taking good decisions, but not taking enough action, it's so stupid of me. I have a better mentality than almost anyone I meet so let's put that to use and stop wasting time! After I have succeeded at the plan at least partially, maybe certain people will start to actually listen to my advice, given that I will have some proverbial street cred. 

Homework for Sunday: clearly define the timeline for August and plan out the following 4-days' activities. 

CHALLENGE: I've been inspired a bit by certain folks to do the 100-of-a-thing, such as send a 100 e-mails each day, look and evaluate a 100 properties in 3 months, look at and analyze a 100 products etc. I don't have anything as convenient, but I'm committing here to do a 100 pomodoros by Friday(then I'm going on a 5-day traveling trip). From Monday I'll have 4 days, so that's 25 pomodoros per day. That's actually pretty damn tough, but I trust myself I can do it. I'm not some schmuck that just lays around watching youtube or play video games. I am an entrepreneur, a visionary a smart and ambitious person with hardly any limits. It's going to be uncomfortable but that's what I want and need to do in order to upgrade my life to the next level. Let's go. 

Edited by JustTom
  • Like 1

I'm liking those last few sentences especially. We are not defined by our vices, for our vices can be overcome. By your attitude it looks like you are not easily overcome, therefore your vices are not you.

Also, pomodoros are the bomb. That's something I would really like to use more in my life.

• Like 1

Day 15/90 | Pomodoro Challenge: 4/100

End of the challenge: When I leave for the trip on Friday

Arrived home in the evening, focused for 2 hours and pretty much called it a day. I'm feeling pretty good, in control, consciouss, motivated to do a nice evening and morning routine and begin the productivity explosion tomorrow. 96 pomodoros is 48 hours, which means 12 hours per day are required to win this challenge. Let's gooooooooooooooooooooo!

Is there a productivity gamification web app of some kind out there somewhere? I should do it in the future if not. 

• Like 1

Nice man. I like the ambitious goals.

Habitica is the most popular gamification web app, from what I've seen, but I've heard of others.

• Like 1

Day 16/90 | Pomodoro Challenge: 29/100

Fucking got up like a rocket ship even after just 4 hours of sleep(procrastinated on Reddit in bed t.t )! I hustled through the slight sleep deprivation AND intermittent fasting for 7 hours in the morning. Got into a very satisfying flow, a beastly productive day - TWENTY-FIVE POMODOROS!!Three more days like this and the challenge is won. I should make a trophy of some kind for myself. 

Edited by JustTom

Nice! What app are you using for pomodorro? I have the "productivity challenge" app and I found it comically appealing ?

Day 17/90 | Pomodoro Challenge: 49/100

Another successful day! Only 20 pomodoros though, which is short of 5 from my target to win the challenge, but I had 4 extra in the bank so it's fine. WINNABLE. I woke up 4 hours after it was planned and so that demotivated me for the day, as is the tradition, but I managed to push through. Didn't manage to get into the flow because I was getting distracted by family ALLLL THE TIME, so even the 20 pomodoros were quite mediocre and I counted a few that I was just talking with my dad.

Tomorrow I'm not cutting any more corners though. Get up at 8 and hustle like the absolute monster that I am. I feel good that I didn't give up even though I really really felt like it. This is how it's done - pushing through discomfort! With this approach, nothing's gonna stop me from doing the final life double-tap of finishing my last year of master's while starting my first business and generating passive income before I'm 26. It's so straight-forward: just push through the discomfort and success is inevitable! Don't believe me? Watch. 

8 hours ago, karabas said:

Nice! What app are you using for pomodorro? I have the "productivity challenge" app and I found it comically appealing ?

I'm using pomodoro-tracker.com since I need a web app version. You know what I thought about just now? In the future, I need to make a chrome extension that when you launch a Pomodoro, it automatically blocks websites that you specify and then unblocks once the Pomodoro is over. That would be so sick!

16 hours ago, JustTom said:

I'm using pomodoro-tracker.com since I need a web app version. You know what I thought about just now? In the future, I need to make a chrome extension that when you launch a Pomodoro, it automatically blocks websites that you specify and then unblocks once the Pomodoro is over. That would be so sick!

That's a pretty awesome idea! ?

• Like 1

Day 18/90 | Pomodoro Challenge: 68/100

19 Pomodoros for today and mediocre ones as well, weak focus, couldn't get into it. I did workout after 3 weeks though, the injury is getting much better so I can do slow movements even with heavy weights. Feels good. Other than that, I'm happy again that I pushed through. I'm not giving up on the challenge. I am behind the schedule by 7. WINNABLE. I'll smash 32 tomorrow, no problem. Pushing through discomfort is a skill and that's what I'm developing here. It's not just about getting work done. It's about becoming the greatest version of myself. I've gotten so used to being lazy and procrastinating that it became my status quo, that is my go-to mental state. I want to break this pattern in my brain, and I actually feel it cracking a little bit. I feel the cognitive dissonance whenever my entire body and mind is telling me to slip into comfort, take a snack, watch some gaming vids, but instead, I slap myself mentally(initially I wanted to start slapping myself physically but didn't get to that yet) and open up what I was supposed to be doing again. Even if I have low focus and I'm barely getting anything done(not always, but today it was most pomodoros), I still keep that shit open and just try. 

The brain is plastic just like the body. If I do activities, the connections/muscles needed to do them become stronger. These activities are then more effortless, while activities that are the opposite become more difficult. As Arnold says, bodybuilding is like sculpting - you want a bit more on the shoulders? You do more exercises for shoulders, you want less on biceps? You do fewer exercises on biceps. You sculpt it with exercise to become closer and closer to the end image. I think of the brain the same way. I've been doing some really good things, but I've also been poisoning it with games, procrastination and depression. It's quite damaged and unbalanced, but it can be sculpted into excellence in not too long. I listen to the feeling of discomfort and instead of succumbing to it, I use it as a compass telling me what to do - to do the thing that is making me uncomfortable, because that is the exercise it needs. It needs more self-control, less anxiousness, less need for immediate gratification and more willingness and hunger to improve. 

Detox: No urges to play games and I've not even been watching gaming vids lately, but that's probably because there's not much pro starcraft going on right now. 

I've got last day and a half for the challenge. 32 pomodoros let's go.

• Like 1

Day 19/90 | Pomodoro Challenge: 77/100 -> FAIL

It's not the end of the challenge yet, but it's already impossible to finish without skipping sleep. When I got up at 8, I made the same mistake again - I didn't get out of bed and instead started watching a video, consequently falling asleep and only getting up at 12. With the extra time I have tomorrow morning, I might have still won it, but I have to admit I gave up when I got up so late. So I watched the stupid Starcraft tournament, hit the gym, then did a few pomodoros and just chilled out. I'm still proud of the previous 3 days and I'm fully determined to repeat and win the challenge after I get back from the trip! 

I'll be gone and not updating for a few days. Then it's crushing time again!

Day 23/90

End of the trip. Won't comment on that since this is a productivity/detox journal, but it was awesome. I might take a day or half to recover my sleep, but I'm ready and quite excited to get back into the hustle mode.

Day 24/90

Today is day 25. Because I'm feeling confident, I'm committing here to not only not game(which is really easy right now), but also to not watch any entertainment until I've done at least 16 pomodoros that day, which is ~8 hours of work. I've already wasted 2 hours in the morning, so I'm going to the gym now and when I get back, I'll start cranking them out. 

Day 25/90

I was not able to get into the productivity flow, I did a few pomodoros, went to the gym and then talked with dad, but I whenever I sat down to do something productive, I was getting interrupted and was alt-tabbing a lot.

Another reason is fuckiiiiiiing GSL. Pro starcraft is like the last piece of the gaming world I cannot give up. I really don't know why. Now that there was a new tournament recently, I watched most of the games and let me tell you, that was a fuckton of games I watched. Complete waste of time for pure instant gratification, that is not even that good.

Day 26/90

No urges for gaming so far, which is something I'm really glad for. I really think this detox "attempt" might be successful. I feel confident that I won't game intellectually but also emotionally. It doesn't feel like a fight anymore. After the first ~7 days really. We will see if around day 40, the urges come back as they did the last time. This time I am prepared to realize that and just plow through them without gaming. It will also fall right at the end of August so I have to keep myself busy and motivated as much as I can! I'm definitely finishing these 90 days, even if everything else fails, I'm taking back the control over my life from games.

Productivity is extremely low. I haven't had a successful morning momentum for a while. Also, it's stupidly hot, but that's mostly just an excuse. I found an app that might help, I will be trying it out the next morning so that might do the trick.

Pomodoro Challenge lvl 4: 100 pomodoros over 5 days!

Starting tomorrow, I'm taking on the pomodoro challenge again, for 5 days!

Let me explain the levels:

• Level 1: 5 pomodoros per day
  • Level 2: 10 pomodoros per day
  • Level 3: 15 pomodoros per day
  • Level 4: 20 pomodoros per day
  • Level 5: 25 pomodoros per day
  • etc

Last time it was level 5, so this time I'm doing something more do-able. If I go to the gym or go socialize, I will count that towards the challenge's pomodoros, because otherwise, the challenge would incentivize me to become an unhealthy hermit. LET'S GO!

Edited by JustTom

Day 27 & 28/90

I'm restarting the pomodoro challenge, starting today(day 29). I wasn't properly counting pomodoros because I spent most of the time socializing, working out and sleeping the last two days. The heat is impossible to work in as well. Either way, didn't start it properly, now I'm getting to it for realz?

Gaming detox is still a non-issue, there haven't been any new starcraft pro games lately, but I can't say with confidence I won't watch them when new ones come out. It doesn't produce cravings though, so that's good. 

Day 29/90 | Pomodoro Challenge lvl 4: 6/100

Alright, I fucked it up again. Only 6 pomodoros and weak ones at that. Kind of got consumed by this new thing I found about which I won't go into details here, but yeah, procrastination. The to-do for tomorrow is ready. All I need to do is to get up and start cranking those pomodoro's out. Just like a robot, don't even think about it, just execute the program.

Day 30/90 | Pomodoro Challenge lvl 4: 21/100

I'm not counting them properly and also using them for things I probably shouldn't, so I just kinda estimated 15 for today. Will try harder today(day 31).

On 8/13/2018 at 8:14 AM, karabas said:

I like this pomodorro challenge you're doing. I might steal it for myself. What are the levels? Length of work?

On 8/9/2018 at 10:08 PM, JustTom said:
  • Level 1: 5 pomodoros per day
  • Level 2: 10 pomodoros per day
  • Level 3: 15 pomodoros per day
  • Level 4: 20 pomodoros per day
  • Level 5: 25 pomodoros per day
  • etc

Feel free to steal^^ I like a little bit of gamification of productivity. The first time I did it I loved it, but now I'm not keeping track properly, so it's too messy. 

Edited by JustTom
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, JustTom said:

Feel free to steal^^ I like a little bit of gamification of productivity. The first time I did it I loved it, but now I'm not keeping track properly, so it's too messy. 

Sweet. I'll probably change the rules - and I have to wait until I'm back home from my trip - but I'll give this a shot!

• Like 1

Day 32/90 | No-YouTube 0/90

Alright, it's too messy for a 'challenge' right now, but I'll keep better track of it tomorrow. Furthermore, I'm feeling good so I'm adding a No-YouTube counter. The only vids I allow are very specific tutorials and music. 

Watched GSL today again(starcraft pro games), it was good as always, but it's still just the same thing over and over again. With the new counter, this was the last time I watched it. Next time it's on is saturday I think, so I will make sure to not watch it, consciously. 

Getting up in the morning is still a massively destructive problem in my life. 

Edited by JustTom
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JustTom said:

Getting up in the morning is still a massively destructive problem in my life. 

Think about how angry you are with this issue and use it as the impetus to get out of bed.  Dominate your day even if it's relaxing.  Relax better than anyone has ever relaxed before lol.

Day 33/90 | No-YouTube 1/90 | Productive Hours: 14 | Pomodoros: 7

NO YOUTUBE DAY 1 WOOO!  I'm actually quite amazed that I didn't watch a single youtube video. I did finish (2?) episodes of the Jim Jefferies Show, but that's fine.

Explanation: Productive hours now measure any time that was spent on the path, including working out, commuting, socializing, eating, doing chores etc. It's basically (waking time - procrastination). Pomodoros is legit work done on my PC with little to no distractions.

So overall a very good day. Few pomodoros because I went to the gym in the morning and then to an entrepreneurship meetup in the evening. Nevertheless, good stuff. Will focus even harder tomorrow. 

19 hours ago, Matt S said:

Think about how angry you are with this issue and use it as the impetus to get out of bed.  Dominate your day even if it's relaxing.  Relax better than anyone has ever relaxed before lol.

I get disappointed, not angry, but maybe I should start just getting angry haha! I did alright today and will succeed fully tomorrow.

Edited by JustTom
  • Like 1

Day 35/90 | No-YouTube 0/90

Watched the damn GSL, ahhh! Also, didn't keep proper track of stats, because I was still socializing quite a bit. Detox is getting close to the 40-day mark, when I relapsed the last time. I will stay very conscious of any cravings coming up and resist at all costs. Also, another attempt at No-YouTube! This might take a loooot of tries, but hey, success is being on the path, not achieving the goal.

Day 36/90 | Pomodoros: 11 + gym | Watched YouTube: Yes | Lost Weight: Yes!

It was SOOOO HARD to get myself to focus. I kept alt-tabbing, getting irritated, anxious, everything. Finally had a day with no social activities to just focus on hustling but I couldn't get into it. Kept pushing myself so that's something, but god was that hard. Some factors contributing to my lack of focus: 1. losing weight quite aggressively -> low calorie and low energy; 2. mild sunburn, pretty annoying; 3. got a cold few days ago because I fell asleep with no shirt with the AC on; 4. my game has deteriorated in the past year to the point where I can't even approach lmao, so that's pretty frustrating as well.

So I'm calling it quits, peace out, I'm outsky, I'm bouncin'... so that tomorrow I can get up early and crush it.

Edited by JustTom