NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Why you become aggressive?

zeke365

This question that been on my mind for some time, but why is it when you play a game you become more aggressive? Is there some type of cause of aggressive in the game that you become more aggressive, is the pixels or challenges that make you aggressive? 

This something I m do not understand it to be nice if someone could explain this to me.

Hi Zeke,

I like this question.  I can only speak about my personal experience, so here it is.

I started to do some raiding in an MMORPG.  I was never a raider before, so had to learn about game mechanics pretty quickly and understand my role in the group to succeed as a team.  There were many factors in the game that irritated me.  Things like people not showing up to the scheduled raid, gamers that put other people down for their lack of skill, having to redo a raid over and over again to acquire better gear, armour, etc.  So, the culmination of crappy things happening to you, despite being prepared, and the fickleness of people created a ripe environment for people to become aggressive.  I'm not saying this is okay, but I noticed that transformation even with gamers who are 'nice' when they aren't raiding. 

When I joined a dragon boat team, we were aggressive but channeled it towards the physical part of the sport.  We were frustrated when we had to conquer stormy weather and waves in the ocean, but the pent-up aggression was channeled towards our paddling.  With video gaming, you have NOWHERE to channel this negative energy.  You are stagnant, sitting down on a chair, and you cannot exert this energy elsewhere except by 1) swearing / cursing at yourself or others 2) blaming yourself or others 3) throwing the mouse at the wall 4) trashing your PC or keyboard 5) having a hissy fit that lasts as long as a 3-year old throws a tantrum.

That's just two cents worth.  Take it or leave it. 

:)

• Like 1

By the way, I am guilty of being aggressive and hostile in a multi-player game.  I deeply regret those moments, and upon reflection, it's not the person I wanted to become.  I certainly didn't want that behavior to seep into my off-line life either.  I was mostly irritated with people who'd ask me to level them up (speed level), or insta-grouping with me without my agreement, and other stupid things that were a waste of my own time.  I felt like a tool, and I just became resentful, I guess. 

Anyhow, I digress.  If you start getting upset in a video game like that, it's time to hit 'pause', and reflect.  It's not healthy. 

Ultimately, I ended up quitting the raiding, and hung out by myself exploring the virtual landscape until boredom caved in....and then....I eventually quit video gaming.  It just wasn't satisfying anymore once the social aspect was removed, and the grinding to level became unbearable. 

Edited by Dannigan

The urge to win/beat a game, I guess. If its a PvP/competitive game, it might carry over to the real life even more, at least for me when I played rocket league all day (or other competitive-like games - dota, LoL, CS:GO, for example). I personally noticed that it carried over, when I was angry/aggressive I also was way more aggressive IRL. Now, I am more chilled, sometimes I still play games (1-2 times/week), but its mostly single-player/offline games but I am way more chilled, even when I die/lose/whatever.

But overall I'd say it is because you lose, losing sucks and therefore it carries over IRL.

• Like 1
  • Like 1