Phoenixking

Question: Forum Public/Anonymous/Private

Hello,

Just a general question really. Everything posted in the forum is something that anybody on the internet could potentially see/look up, right?

So I should probably be a tad careful with my real name and such things, right? Or are certain sections private and invisible unless you have an account?

Thanks!

• Like 2

Yup.

Anyone can peek into this forum and read what you write. There is a private section to write your journal here, but I think you have to purchase Respawn to use it.

I have chosen to write a daily journal on a private blog called Penzu.  At first, I created a journal here, but I ultimately deleted it entirely because I do not want coworkers or friends to stumble upon it here.  Some people have no problem writing personal reflections, sharing their real first name, or even a picture.  It really depends on the person.  I know that I don't feel quite comfortable doing that. 

If I have time, I'll respond to a few threads and refrain from describing where I go.  My descriptions of places are vague, at best, and I'll never mention which park I visited, which hiking trail I went to on the weekend, etc. 

Oh, okay. Dang. So I did purchase Respawn and I'm a fan of the idea of making my journal's home here on this forum. Which part is the private/safe part then?

18 hours ago, Cam Adair said:

Respawn area is private and you're welcome to share anything you'd like there. You'll have access now (just added you). 

Thank you :D

But why would you make it so that the journal-section of the forum is public? Doesn't that seem a bit counterintuitive? Why would people be more inclined to share what they struggle with if anybody they know could stumble upon their most vulnerable journey?

5 hours ago, Phoenixking said:

But why would you make it so that the journal-section of the forum is public? Doesn't that seem a bit counterintuitive? Why would people be more inclined to share what they struggle with if anybody they know could stumble upon their most vulnerable journey?

If someone is concerned about someone they know stumbling on their posts I would recommend not using your real name, and not posting personal details that can be traced. Or just post in the private Respawn area. I'm not sure what the alternative is for a free community forum. 

Another alternative (which, unfortunately, isnt working yet): The whole section is public, but you could write your whole journal into a spoiler and we will be able to hide spoilers from guests. People still are able to see your nickname and topic name, but not whats inside, if you write it into a spoiler.