Read: A Guide to Quit Gaming for One Year

Dylan Tazzioli

RUNNERS: How do I train my legs properly?

I started running about 2 weeks ago and would like to know how to train my legs properly. When I run for about 1 mile my feet and legs start to get sore just in general and I'm not really sure if I should do some additional training on top of running, if it is the shoes etc.

What can I do to train better for my runs so my feet and legs get sore? Thanks in advance for the input - I really appreciate it

Hey Dylan,

When I started running I didn't really see any progress over long periods of time either. That changed when I started training for parkour, because it turned out that running and jumping aren't so different after all. So I encourage you to check out some bodyweight-exercises like burpees, jumping rope, quadrapedal movement (one of the best exercises ever - strengthens legs, core and arms at the same time - so you won't have the problem of training unbalanced), and squats.

Also making sure to incorporate some dynamic stretching before running helps prevent extreme soreness or even pain.

Last but not least, make sure you run properly - if you run with "traditional" runningshoes for example you have to run in a different way than if you run barefoot (or with minimalism shoes). --> research on google for more information.

I don't believe that your shoes are responsible, but if you believe that you really have bad shoes, if you have access to a treadmill, try one day to run with shoes and on the next day without shoes and check if it gets better without shoes :/

• Like 1

Hi Dylan,

I've done 7 marathons since my detox so I have learned a few things along the way - the biggest thing I have learned so far is that there is a lot of crap online! A lot of it is tailored towards elite runners though, which are those people who run all day every day and win the prize money at races.

It all depends on what you want to achieve and how you are running. If you are into running for fitness, aka low to mid intensity over an hour or so every 2 days, then there isn't much else you need to do. If you haven't run for a long time then you're going to have sore legs often and this will get better with the more miles you put into them. Make sure you are giving yourself rest days - I'm a "boots and all" type of person no matter what I do - and I didn't get myself enough rest days when I started out. Don't follow a rigid routine of when to have rest days or when not to, because you want to be able to get out there when the inspiration hits you. Rather let your body tel you, if you wake up one morning and can't move, take the day off, or go for a walk or hit the pool instead. Bike is also an option but I found that if my legs were sore, getting on the bike did not help it at all.

The only time you need to get into the gym to supplement your training is if you're doing endurance and/or a lot of hills. For endurance, the longer you run the more you are inclined to change your style as your muscles get tired, and that is where you're going to pick up your injuries. For example, I inflamed my ITB recently in a 100km race when my hamstrings got tired so I changed my running style about 50km in. The end result was knee issues I have only just got over. You'll wear out faster on the hills and have the same result. To help overcome this, weighted squats and deadlifts with high weight low reps will build them up. But if you bring that into your training routine too early, then you'll be too sore to run and defeat the whole plan, so I would avoid that until you are running 5-6 times a week.

For recovery, I have tried ice baths and stretches and all the other crazes, and what works best by far is hot espon salt baths. Not sure what brands you have in Canada eh, but we have Radox down here, and I'll jump in one the day after a long run. They are amazing - I had about 4 of them in the 48 hours after the 100km and I was back to normal (almost).

For shoes - get checked out on whether you have high arches, normal, or flat footed. I got checked out by a podiatrist but I am pretty sure a lot of shoe shops can do it for you as well. Once you have worked that out, get shoes in the range for that type of foot. I am flat footed so I have very thick and 'aggressive' orthodics. Then just choose a pair of shoes that you prefer in that range - it's personal preference from there.

Hope that helps mate, and happy to talk about it some more to make me feel useful! I have put more hours into running in the last year that I am willing to admit! If you keep up your training, you can join the GameQuitters relay team for 100 miles. Still working on details but what we do know is @Cam Adair is going to be the anchor runner to bring it home :1_grinning:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nullfiles333 said:

Hello! I started running recently. After kilometers 5, my knee starts to ache from the outside, what do you advise? What could it be?

It's look like ITBS

"ITBS symptoms range from a stinging sensation just above the knee joint, to swelling or thickening of the tissue in the area where the band moves over the femur. The stinging sensation just above the knee joint is felt on the outside of the knee or along the entire length of the iliotibial band. Pain may not occur immediately during activity, but may intensify over time. Pain is most commonly felt when the foot strikes the ground, and pain might persist after activity. Pain may also be present above and below the knee, where the ITB attaches to the tibia. It will also hurt if you twist your knee to turn a corner."

Edited by markow2018