NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

"No Gaming" January 2016 - Sign up!

Cam Adair

Hey everyone! Welcome to the first official sign-up thread for StopGaming’s “No Gaming” January 2016!

I’ve seen a few members ask for this over the past few months so I thought we would try it out. Thanks to /r/nofap[1] for the inspiration. If this thread provides value we can continue to do them each month.

Use this thread to share your commitment to abstain from playing video games for the entire month of January 2016.

New to Game Quitters?

1. Learn about the importance of the 90 day "no gaming" detox here. Learn about compulsive gaming and video game addiction by reading through StopGaming, the Game Quitters website and CGAA.
  2. If you are committed to your 90 day detox, sign up for this month by replying to this submission. It's that simple.
  3. To track your progress setup a badge (coming soon to this forum). The counter has been having a few troubles lately so we also recommend using an app like Coach.me or a whiteboard/calendar in your room.
  4. Ask questions and get support by posting on the forum. The more involved you can be in the community, the more likely you are to succeed.
  5. Document your progress in a daily journal. Having a daily journal will help you clarify your thoughts and process your experience.

Ready to join? Reply to this thread and answer the following:

1. What is your commitment? No games? No streams? Anything else?
  2. How long do you want this challenge to last? By default it is one month, but 90 days is recommended for your detox.
  3. What are your goals?
  4. Why are you doing this?

Is it past the first of the month?

No worries. You can still join in. Add your commitment and start your detox today!

• Guest pinned this topic

Awesome idea, count me in. My current challenge to myself is no gaming or gaming streams or videos. The exceptions are - in social situations I can game or play arcade games briefly, if people are asking me to play with them. Other than that though, I steer totally clear.

Here's to a gaming free January!

Count me in, I'm attempting to nail the detox for good this time around anyways. My commitment is to not play video games again, online, offline, or otherwise. I may make the exception that Travis made that allowed tiny amounts of arcade games only if pressured to do so. I am also not going to watch any streams, videos, or any other content directly related to games.

My commitment is for the 90 day detox, and then I might (but probably won't) make minor changes after the 90 day detox.

I have yet to decide on some concrete goals, currently I'm just working towards being the person I'd like to be.

I am doing this to develop a better lifestyle and become a more energetic, ambitious, outgoing person.

I'm ready to join.

No games, no streams, and actively limiting the mindless browing on the internet.

2. How long do you want this challenge to last? By default it is one month, but 90 days is recommended for your detox.
    One month every month or 90 days every 90 days. Right now I don't see myself playing games in the future. Nothing positive would come out of it.

3. What are your goals?
    Not to game anymore and use this to settle new positive habits in my life to be able to focus on mid to long term goals like managing my finances better, owning a house (goes hand to hand with finances ^^), better heath (food & fitness) and being a real profesional at work.

At 30 years old, I have a family (wife and kid). I realized I had an addiction to video games but I didn't take concrete actions until about 20 days ago. I want to be happy in life and make my family happy and stop procrastinating.

What is your commitment? No games? No streams? Anything else?

I will not play any video games, watch any streams of video game footage (with the exception of the Co-Optional podcast) while it is talking about games, they don't shove footage in your face or attempt to influence you to play it. I will most likely commit to other hobbies and activities in life, creative writing and studying has grown on me quite abit.

How long do you want this challenge to last?

It will last for 2 months. It will (supposedly) end in Feburary 29th. If I feel like not enough time has passed, I'll give it another month without games until I see a positive change.

What are your goals?

My goals are learning to drive, practicing a number of different hobbies I have interest in and also to begin living outside of the fantasy world. Perhaps it is sharing abit too much information, but I've always used video games when I was younger to escape this world. I felt like I had potential but being a youth I was restricted with no way of anyone taking me seriously. Video games allowed me to escape from that reality. Now I am an adult, I can finally take action that I've wanted for years - yet I feel games are holding me back from it.

Why are you doing this?

While it was fun gaming, it brings out the worst in me. Not only my negative attitude and my profounity but also concering medical issues with my anxiety and frequently increased heart rates. I've come to accept games have changed since beyond the 2007-2010 era. Games cannot be enjoyed at this moment in time for myself, I hope to gain the enjoyment of just playing the role in a video game, rather than getting hung up on winning everytime.

My final words are this; I like to live in the reality, make something of myself. Playing a video game that takes a look into the role I would like to do is good and all, but only for the short time. When reality hits you and you're still someone sitting down, no degree, no life experience, just a monitor and a PC. It's pretty depressing. That, is what I would like to change about my life.

Cheers!

What is your commitment? No games? No streams? Anything else?

I will not play any video games, watch any streams of video game footage (with the exception of the Co-Optional podcast) while it is talking about games, they don't shove footage in your face or attempt to influence you to play it. I will most likely commit to other hobbies and activities in life, creative writing and studying has grown on me quite abit.

How long do you want this challenge to last?

It will last for 2 months. It will (supposedly) end in Feburary 29th. If I feel like not enough time has passed, I'll give it another month without games until I see a positive change.

What are your goals?

My goals are learning to drive, practicing a number of different hobbies I have interest in and also to begin living outside of the fantasy world. Perhaps it is sharing abit too much information, but I've always used video games when I was younger to escape this world. I felt like I had potential but being a youth I was restricted with no way of anyone taking me seriously. Video games allowed me to escape from that reality. Now I am an adult, I can finally take action that I've wanted for years - yet I feel games are holding me back from it.

Why are you doing this?

While it was fun gaming, it brings out the worst in me. Not only my negative attitude and my profounity but also concering medical issues with my anxiety and frequently increased heart rates. I've come to accept games have changed since beyond the 2007-2010 era. Games cannot be enjoyed at this moment in time for myself, I hope to gain the enjoyment of just playing the role in a video game, rather than getting hung up on winning everytime.

My final words are this; I like to live in the reality, make something of myself. Playing a video game that takes a look into the role I would like to do is good and all, but only for the short time. When reality hits you and you're still someone sitting down, no degree, no life experience, just a monitor and a PC. It's pretty depressing. That, is what I would like to change about my life.

Cheers!

Welcome to the forum! :)

3. What are your goals?

1. No games, with the exception of brief sessions ONLY IF it's at a friend's house on a two player game. I only watch one streamer, and only as background noise when I'm working on something on the computer (not even for the games tbh). No mobile games or mobile gaming apps, no gaming subreddits. As little gaming stimulus as possible.

2. Just passed one month, and my new goal is 90 days. I don't want to get ahead of myself and say NO GAMES NOW AND FOREVAAAAAAAAAAAA... but I'm hoping that by the time Dark Souls 3 rolls around, I won't have a desire to slay demons and gank n00bs for hours on end.

3. Fuck Bitches Get Money :P

4. Because I've lost enough of my life gaming already, under the assumption that being a gamer was just "who I was" and that I was happy. I ignored every sign that it was time to turn the other cheek and explore other opportunities. Seeing all the missed opportunities as my childhood wraps itself up is tough, and I've finally admitted to myself that it's time for a change. This community is awesome, because I thought for a long time, I was the only one. When I found it, I thought it was going to be some sort of cruel joke, making fun of people with gaming addictions, but to my surprise, it was a group of like minded people all striving to change. Which is awesome. 

1.No video games of any short.I decided to quit the NBA fantasy leagues I was managing, they felt exactly like gaming

2.I'm going for 100 days no game and go from there.

3.Get laid.

Do better in some classes in my uni

Find out what I enjoy working on at this point in my life and work hard on it

Meet people with same mindset and personal drive.

4.I still cant believe how we get hooked into gaming or other addictions and how much time I actually spend on stuff like that.

I want to do in real life what I was trying to do in game.I want improve myself, overcome challenges , make friends and have fun for real, it's way harder but way more fullfilling.

Let's do this guys!

Count me in. Gaming was just a distraction from what I really need to be focused on. There's so much more to life than a computer screen and a keyboard. Life is a journey, and as Cam said, "Life is the ultimate video game."

Edited by Paul A.

• Guest unpinned this topic
  • Hitaru locked this topic