Sign in to follow this  
Philipp

Exchanging your Office job for working as a craftsman

Hey,
As the title says I want to know your experiences and thoughts on quitting studying for a well-paid Office Job and instead learn a craftsmanship (for example becoming a carpenter or gardener)

It's something I never even considered because my Family always was focused finishing "Matura" and studying to get a well-paid Job. But after informing myself I came to realize that maybe that's not what would best suit me. To make sure I don't make any decision out of being stressed out with University deadlines I won't decide before finishing the current School year.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 5:47 PM, Philipp said:

Hey,
As the title says I want to know your experiences and thoughts on quitting studying for a well-paid Office Job and instead learn a craftsmanship (for example becoming a carpenter or gardener)

It's something I never even considered because my Family always was focused finishing "Matura" and studying to get a well-paid Job. But after informing myself I came to realize that maybe that's not what would best suit me. To make sure I don't make any decision out of being stressed out with University deadlines I won't decide before finishing the current School year.

I've never studied for an office job but I did go to college to study history. But this was when I thought I wanted to be a history teacher. Turns out I didn't like the idea of working for someone else even if I was getting paid to do so. Then again I've always been stubborn when doing what other people told me to do I did it but not the way they wanted me to do it. I honestly like the idea of being my own boss and being a craftsman of some kind sounds really fun. That or doing something that gives me the opportunity to travel the world and discover new and interesting places.

• Like 1

Do you have experience in such kind of craftsmanship?

Before you quit your study, maybe you could try to get into a gardening or carpenter internship for a few weeks and see how you like it over time.

I personally would test the waters first before turning my life/career upside down.

Edited by Silent3d
grammar
  • Like 1

I agree with @Silent3d. Dip your toe in the pool first. Don't take any big risks.

That being said, I was a freelance speaker and comedian (tv shows, comedy shows, live events) for a few years and it was utterly amazing. The freedom, the adventure, the clients, ... I saw and did some amazing things. HOWEVER. There is a big risk involved. It takes an organized mind to start up a business for yourself. The tasks you do are fun and great. But when you're own boss, you have to do and know all of the things normally your boss would do for you. You'll be working 7 days out of 7. Because in the weekends you'll be thinking "What can I do to improve the business?". 

Good tip? Shadow a craftsman for a day. Tag along. Or interview somebody you know who has a job you'd like or works in a field you find interesting. Get some info. After that, do that toe dipping thing. Get an education, train yourself. Start of with an internship or a starter level job. I strongly advise working as a craftsman as an employee first. And then if you like it and after you've become more skilled, get up on your own feet. Because it's a tough learning curve. You'd have to simultaneously learn to be (not just any but a good) a craftsman but also how to manage, finance, run and keep afloat a business. That's a full-time thing. So your personal finances and your life will be dependant on that succes. That risk is too big for anybody but the crazy. Do yourself a favor. Go slow, but go fowards for sure ?

• Like 1

Hey Philipp!

Glad to meet a fellow Austrian guy here ?

Additionally to the previous tips, I would recommend asking questions like...

What would I like to give back to society/other people? (your future clients)

What kind of materials/tools do I want to work with? (the way you create your products)

How/Where can I get a proper education to produce the things I actually would like to produce? (gaining knowledge and experience)

What aspect of my product should be outstanding? (unique, functional, design, easy to produce, cheap, etc.)

Not too long ago I was asking myself these questions as well... May I ask what you would study if you decide against working as a craftsman and what kind of school you attended before? This way I'd be able to give you more in-depth advice.

Cheers,

Max

• Like 1