NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Torc 2

Torc

This is my second attempt at a detox.  Got to 91 days a few years ago.

This time I'm adding internet addiction to the mix.  I am not cutting out the internet entirely, just the websites I'm addicted to.  I have added YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr and a long list of gaming and naughty websites to the Cold Turkey application.

I am cutting out games forever, but Youtube and maybe one social media site will only be 100 days.  Youtube has too many uses for me to abandon forever, I'm just hoping after 100 days I'll be able to watch videos without staying up too late.

It's a bit late now so I'll just end the comment here.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, nekoexmachina said:

Good luck my friend. What happened to previous detox?

I managed to go 91 without playing videogames, but I didn't stop reading gaming news and let's play videos, so not much of a success.  I played games on and off since.  God of War (2018) is the last game I played.

This new detox involves both playing games and doing anything videogame related.  The "anyhting videogame related" part also ties in with theYouTube and social media detox as it is nearly E3 and you know those websites will be all over that.  And I would also be over that.

• Like 1

I have finished the last session of Beating the Blues, which is an online Cognitive Behavioural Techniques (CBT) course. 

I have considered calling this my Respawn day as today is when I really start getting serious.  I need some social hobbies and will use the 50+ Hobby Ideas, MeetUp and the social club I go to three times a month to help me.

I use my PS3 exclusively for DVDs, Blu-Rays and music, but I will get round to replacing it with a Blu-Ray/DVD combo soon.

I haven't told anyone in real life about my desire to quit videogames.  I want to wait until I get all of the Respawn worksheets done and have more time for the new hobbies to sink in first.

I found that it has lots of helpful information.  I do however think that it would go on longer than 8 weeks.  There's usually a few things to learn each week.  I think that it should have one thing to concentrate on each week and last for 16 weeks.  I will have to constantly reread the lessons to get the benefit.

I came here to say I relapsed.  I ended up watching YouTube videos on E3.  I think I should have planned to have activities first, then start the detox.  I have at least avoided Twitter and Tumblr, those two are the real time-wasting hurdles I'm dealing with.

I'm going to level with you, this whole "100 days without YouTube" sounds a bit too harsh for me.  Instead, I want to limit it.  Maybe I could watch three videos a day, or have a designated YouTube time.

One of the reasons I went onto YouTube yesterday was because I was in a bad mood.  I was at work and had some spare time.  In hindsight I could have listened to some music and went onto GameQuitters.  I also ate some junk food and that probably made my mood worse.

It seems strange to change my mind in the middle of a comment, but I'm going to go back to a YouTube detox period.  I need something fun to do first, though and completely cut out junk food.

I dunno, if I want to listen to some stuff while doing something (which is what I mostly do on YT), then I listen to TED talks or to Linux/BSD/Java conferences. Not that it is that useful, because to actually benefit from conferences you have to pay much attention to things being said, however I've learned more then a thing or two from Java conferences that I use daily. 

I created a calendar to keep track of my habits.

I'm thinking I will get rewards and punishments on whether a box gets ticked or not.  I can't think of any rewards or punishments at the moment.  Maybe for every box that doesn't get ticked, a pound will go to something I don't like.

02.png

• Like 1

Whew, keeping track of all that stuff is pretty difficult.  I'm going to keep doing it until I consistently fill in boxes every day.

Went to a Celebration of Learning event where people got certificates for taking part in courses.  Mostly numeracy and literacy.  I got one for literacy.  It was a very good event.

I have recently start looking up self compassion.  I think that will come in handy.

I have been reading two books on minimalism and have been decluttering and tidying for several months now.  I still have work to do as I still have a lot of shit, but my room looks a lot nicer and I have a lot more room to move around.

• Like 1

Got rid of my PS4 and Grand Theft Auto 5 Special Edition.

It feels like I have started for realsies now.  I still have a lot of consoles and games to let go off.  Getting rid of my PS4 left me feeling I got rid of a weight.

• Like 1