NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Mike's Journal

nekoexmachina

So today I've registered on this forum, and its time to start documenting my path towards healthier life. 

I did some intro and started my day with a coffee today, not with a coffee in front of my laptop, but with a coffee on my balcony; without launching game (all of which I've deleted yesterday). 

I work from home, and usually I've spent half-an-hour before morning meetup with colleagues to do daily stuff in mmorpg that I play (Wurm Online) - tend fields, mine some, etc. 

Not anymore. :-)

To start first post, I'll just say I'm not much of a writer - formulating thoughts into sentences I do bad job. In my native tongue, we have a saying "to flow a thought over a tree", which implies that a thought diverges from initial state to something completely unrelated; this describes my writing habits and skills well.

This is the second day. Tonight, I've had a dream of Wurm Online (lol). When I didn't smoke for few months, I've had dreams of me smoking, now this.. Well.

Anyhow, thats not the point to have this journal to speak of games. Out of good stuff, yesterday we went out (yay) first time in couple weeks. My fiancee, Varvara, has had her leg broken, and we didn't leave house for a good while because of that, and prior to that, gaming addiction still was there - i was reluctant to going out, to say the least.

Yesterday was a good day. We did some chores, and I didnt' feel that I have to game so this chores are messing up my time, I just did them and it was it. I'm so much less depressed after only 1 day of not running steam and Wurm, man, I wouldn't believe it if I'd say it to myself from a month ago. (Well, I would believe that I'd be happier without games, but then I would convince myself that its a lie).

To diverge from topic, I was a bit dishonest in my welcome message. I do consider myself Czech person, I love czech culture, and I live here for long while, but still, I was born a russian, lived there for most of my life, and from some point, made it a target of myself to evacuate from failing state to proper state. This happened over course of two years without much issue. That thought warms me up and tells me that I can do the gaming thing, too. 

I'm writing this post going from Olomouc to Brno. I'm working in Brno, and usually I'm working 100% from home (well at least last few months). Today my colleagues have a party because of big release of a product of our client. 

Actually considering starting some kind of a vlog regarding dogs and rats. Myself from quite near past would say to myself "WTF dude, VLOG? Are you nuts?"; but well, I do better job saying things then writing things and I think that this might be an interesting experience. 

Also, I've been thinking about missed opportunities for a while. I have some talent for languages, so I speak 3 fluently, and I wanted to study German and Dutch as well, which I've even started, but then guess-what happened. I wanted to fit up, and went to a gym for a while, but gym took my time from my gaming, so this went to trash, too. I've used to be a good cook (well not if you ask my fiancee - she hates hot'n'spicy stuff, and I am all about that itch on the tongue, the harsher the better :D), but I haven't made any non-junk food for so long already, hurts to think about this. I've used to brew beer at home, which actually was my passion back in Russia, haven't restarted this in CzechRepublic yet. I've used to bike a lot..

Well. Lots of stuff to do, if I exclude tending virtual fields and building virtual houses from my daily schedule. 

Mike out. 

2 hours ago, nekoexmachina said:

This is the second day. Tonight, I've had a dream of Wurm Online (lol). When I didn't smoke for few months, I've had dreams of me smoking, now this.. Well.

Hey! 

Well, I have had dreams about gaming too. It's just a natural reaction of brain I think, when you are really involved with something. After all, you forget about this dreams very quickly (it happened to me at least), so no need to be harsh about it ;)

2 hours ago, nekoexmachina said:

I've used to bike a lot..

From what I recall, there's plenty of good spots for cycling on border of Česká republika ;) and Poland, especially if you like more offroad approach for cycling. I highly recommend going there, as my friends were always satisfied with trips there.

How advanced are you with German? 

59 minutes ago, Oqmnck said:

Hey! 

Well, I have had dreams about gaming too. It's just a natural reaction of brain I think, when you are really involved with something. After all, you forget about this dreams very quickly (it happened to me at least), so no need to be harsh about it ;)

From what I recall, there's plenty of good spots for cycling on border of Česká republika ;) and Poland, especially if you like more offroad approach for cycling. I highly recommend going there, as my friends were always satisfied with trips there.

How advanced are you with German? 

Ich spreche deutsche nichte, abe ich versteche etwas :P

My grammar and speaking/writing skills are awful, I'll understand general vibe of a sentence when I read it. So very, very rusty.

Also about cycling, we gotta teach our dog not to freak out from bicycles and we're set for few nearest years on spots to bike to even in ~100 km range from Olomouc.

Another day started a few hours ago. Didn't dream about games, which is quite nice. Started reading up on .NET/mono, too bad that there are no good development tools available for Linux; but thats something I wanted to read up on for a long while. 

I develop java apps for living, and .net seems relatively similar (not too similar, but some concepts are very alike).

I also forgot to include this link: 

Spoiler

Edited by nekoexmachina

VSCode as other Microsoft cross-platform inventions never were in any way good, horrid performance issues. 

To be honest, I haven't run VSCode for a good while, so I have no idea of its current state, however I am forced to use Skype, which performance on linux is just laughable - it manages to eat 100% cpu constantly and be slow at typing (letters appear few seconds after being typed). (and Linux skype versions prior to aquisition by MS, while being not too good with UI and such, at least were performant, which beats shiny buttons and labels by a fair margin in my book)

I'll give VSCode a shot, though. 

6 hours ago, Cam Adair said:

This can be common. They will go away over time. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV0rbQzbenM

thanks for answer :)

I'm having really annoying stuff going on both IRL and in my job at the moment.. Not willing to share job part, but on the RL part, my landlord is being a complete pain in the ass for no particular reason (well, probably there is some reason, but he doesn't answer the direct question of why the fuck does he do what he does)

Some people are worth avoiding at all costs, this guy seems to fit into that category, but I really really can not move apartments right now. 

Also, something good happened today as well! Totally forgot that. 

I'm big fan of opensource, and of BSD family in particular; and of exotic hardware doing exotic tasks. My cubietruck has been down for a loong, long while - I've lost its power cord and wasn't been able to find a cheap enough (20$ cord for 50$ board is a bit overkill) with adequate voltage.. and today, I found it! Perfec thing costing only 7$, with switchable connector *and* switchable voltage/ampertage. So my home statistics machine is back to business baby! (Well almost; need to do some sweet development first)

And second part, about the first thing - the BSDs. My job fits perfectly well into that, only problematic part was some stupid javascript thing I never even touch (npm/node.js dependent), not an issue. Only two reasons I've been running Linux (which I do not even really like, I mean, userend stuff is all the same, but backend matters as much) were hardware support (which made me switch to Linux because of moving from desktop to laptop in 2009 or so) and then, gaming. With gaming out of the picture, fun beings:

-- Second laptop already has FreeBSD on it with all its glory, and most of my daily job through last week was done on it

-- First laptop has 99.5% good hardware support (only problem is that intel video driver is a bit funky, but it ll go away so not an issue

And the biggest one:

Cubietruck has armbian at the moment, due to hardware support back in the day. Nowadays, CPU itself is supported, as well as booting on the board. And hardware (ethernet - wifi - gpu) is supported on NetBSD. This is big reason to put my big man's gloves on and start remembering and re-learning C in effort to port drivers that mean something from that to FreeBSD, to get my home statistics machine (temperature through the day, noise levels, that sort of thing) finally working on a proper operating system. :-)

Also song of the day: 

Spoiler

Edited by nekoexmachina

Day 12. 

Doggo's good, he got some problems with his stomach so he went on a diet - eating rabbit meat and rice for next few days. :-)

Had a few more intensive game-based dreams. 

I was never into competetive games, so my brain keeps telling me that its okay to game, as I'm not in the same plate as most folks here - but I resist - even without competetiveness its still an addiction to overcome. 

I really wanted to play skyrim.for last few days after hearing some song, but had not enough time. Lots o stuff happens: when we thought that problem with landlord was sorted out, it turned out that he became even worst pita than he was before. Fuck him, we found an appartment in 15 km from city we live in, for same cost - but 2x bigger.

On other news, i got into sudokus - that stuff is real fun way to spend some 10 minutes on.

Counte is at 16 isnt it? Our relationship with mah girl became better over this time :-)

Edited by nekoexmachina
  • Like 1

Closing on another day's end.

I'm working weekend now to be able to skip 2 days midweek, due to moving away from appartment. Hatred towards landlord has calmed down a little bit, but still, he's a very annoying person, we both are happy to have him out of our lives soon.

This day was incredibly productive. I've done something I've always hated (JUnit testing) with a completely new approach, and I loved it - tests after a little bit were writing themselves basically, without the hassle and with actual proper testing. Investigating performance drop on our server right now, waiting for a debug product to be compiled and writing up this message.

Day 17.

• Like 1

Jeez, some people.

I've told our landlord that we're moving the fuck out, and instead of giving us opportunity to not be bothered by his shit again he continues to harass us. This time, he wants to show apartment to other potential tenants, disregarding the fact that we have it rented till next saturday, disregarding the fact that the lease contract doesn't say anything about him having being able to do so (literally contract doesn't say anything about moving out actually), disregarding the fact that no law exists that allows him to do that; then he wants us to have this appt clean by his visits (while we move out lololo good luck)

Because of that, I'll have to visit a lawyer (first time in my life!) to get my deposit back. I really, really hope that after this weekend I'll never see or hear this guy ever.

Even if he would get some new guy to show him an apartment I have oh so much to say about this landlord, so he won't get a tenant from that new guy anyways.

New landlord to whom we move this time seems to be great, but they all do in the beginning; this old guy was fine, too, for 2 years straight.

However, this time we have explicitly told in the lease contract that we have a dog and two rats, and he confirmed both in written legal paper and in words that he has no issues with that; we have written into the contract that he has to call us 2 hours prior in case he has anything to do in the appartment (despite the law saying that he basically must, previous one didn't give a fuck and just called 3 minutes prior to his arrival), we have written down the obligations regarding guests, regarding my job (I work-from-home so I have to have a permit from a landlord). Basically, covered up everything that was troublesome with last dude. Hope our desire to state things as clear as possible didn't spook the new guy.  

And this guy already has some reputation built up on local flat discussion forum/community, while our guy only has -2 from both of us and nothing else. 

Day 19 and counting. Have had a bad dream today not regarding games (finally! I missed the 'general' nightmares).

Edited by nekoexmachina

Tomorrow is the last day (hopefully) I see the prick who owned the apartment I've used to live in. Hopefully, he'll just sign the papers and be done with it; if not I'll face some hour or so of constant nagging about bullshit. 

Sam's great today, we were out back in Olomouc, cleaning appt up and getting last belongings; of which we've had quite a few (had to take a cab).

Day 23.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Next day. Day 2. Again. Feeling a bit like a junkie, don't like this feeling. 90 days streak should be gone through.

Yesterday in the evening I've ordered myself a telescope (see spoiler below).

Hopefully I'll like the process. In case I do, I'll invest some into adapter for my Nikon camera and probably do some astrophotos.

Spoiler