NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Attempt Number 3... or 4.... is it 5 yet?

dweems

I don't know how many times I have tried to quit video games. I'm 15 and I have been on this site about 3 times. I need help and I need it fast.

I've been addicted to video games for many years, and it takes up 95% of my time (besides school and sleep). It has become my #1 priority in life. I'd rather play games than exercise, hang out, study, read, or anything else that a normal person would. The thing is, I am fully aware that I'm addicted and I have known this for a while. It's pretty obvious that I am addicted, and my failed attempts to quit just proves it even more. I don't know why I can't quit. I don't know why I am aware of how it's ruining my long-term life, but still barely care. I also have not a lot of motivation for anything. I'll try to do something, I'll fail, then I'll just give up. No other hobby or activity is like video games. Video games are whenever, wherever, with whomever, and can be played for unlimited time. I have been playing for so long that the dopamine receptors in my brain are extremely hard to activate. Nothing else is nearly as interesting as video games. Sometimes I will play for 15 hours straight with only breaks for the bathroom, and occasionally food, and not care about the fact that I live like an animal 24/7. Another problem I have is that all of my friends play video games too. It's all I ever hear about nonstop. I want to quit, but I also don't want to get rid of my favorite thing in life, and the one thing that I have put thousands of hours into.

If anyone has any suggestions or can give me a reality check, please help. I want to succeed in life, but video games are just so god damn addicting.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey man I hear ya. Im 29 and I still havnt been able to quit

One thing that did work, at least temporarily, was one time my mom took all my cartrdges and system away (this was back in the NES days lol), and she told me she sold them. I was pissed, but it worked. No system, no games. It only worked for several months, because I found my NES in storage later on, she didn' actually sell it. Had she actually sold it, might have quit for good

As far as your friends, get new ones. I know, I know, easier said than done, but I can tell you from experience, the gamer friends I had in school, were never really my friends. There was a crew I ran with that we played ALL the time back in the day. We were close. Most of them, I kid you not, I have not heard a single word from since graduation, and that was 11 years ago. There are still a few of them that I am still really close with though, but they were already losing interest in games by later high chool in favor for working on cars (they are big motorheads). 

Im not saying they'e bad people or anything like that, but if you want to quit, and quit for good, get rid of your hardware, and get away from the gamers. Just my opinion for what it's worth. I know the struggle, and want you to succeed

• Like 1