Gaming the System 006 - James' First 30 Days As a Digital Nomad in Thailand!

Sign in to follow this  
hycniejsy

Foreign Languages

Hey, I'm really into languages.

I'm native Polish speaker, learning English for 9 years, German for 6 and also started Spanish couple months ago.

I tried Duolingo, and I see that it really works for me. Also, borrowed Spanish school book on A1 level to get started. I try to learn it all by myself and also it's a kind of active rest for me.

Do you have any good methods to learn languages fast? Maybe you also are Duolingo users?

Best method is to speak the language with someone from that country.

Reading books and practicing using Duolingo or any of the other sites will help.  Although I've still got a long way to go with learning German I did find I made the most progress when I was in Germany.  You get instant feedback.  Say something in German, get puzzled looks, you instantly know you need to work on pronunciation and need to fix something.

I found having the Lonely Planet phrasebook on me helped a lot at the beginning.  Definitely worth getting but it doesn't take long before you rarely need to refer to it.

There's one technique I haven't tried yet.  My girlfriend used it to help her learn English (she has better English than a lot of native speakers).  The technique is to watch movies.  But you watch the movie with the audio in the language you're trying to learn and subtitles in your native language.  And vice versa. The subtitles aren't always accurate so it can be fun spotting where they got some of the translations wrong.

How long did you need to learn German before going to Germany? Because I want to do something similar with Spain.

Also, that interesting method with making subtitles.

So, I should translate for instance Cam's videos on gamequitters channel to Polish to become better speaker.

So, I should translate for instance Cam's videos on gamequitters channel to Polish to become better speaker.

One member is currently translating some materials into Spanish. Would you be interested in doing this with Polish?

I knew a minimal amount of German before I went to Germany. Maybe a month or two of very casual study. But in Germany you can get by with just English, most people in the service industry can speak it.  I have no idea what Spain is like. But the sooner you can start speaking to Spanish people the quicker you'll learn.

The technique with movies is that you turn on the subtitles within the DVD settings, not necessarily make your own.  But that also sounds like a great idea. Try it and see if it helps you. 

I love learning foreign languages :) I may say it is the greatest passion in my life, as I have been interested in learning languages since I was a little kid, as soon as I was informed that there is such a thing as a foreign language and that the entire globe does not speak Polish ;) The first language I learnt was English, I have always been fascinated by the culture and literature of the English-speaking countries, particularly Great Britain. Most of my favourite authors are British :) I studied English literature at MA level, later on I also graduated from German Studies at BA level. English is definitely my favourite foreign language, I love its sound and look, and literature, films, TV series in this language. I am not very fond of German in terms of its aesthetic qualities, but it is pretty useful and the Germans make really good  Krimis, such as the SOKO series. Last year, I started to learn Italian as I was always interested in this language and it sounds quite beautiful and melodious (at least for me). This is the language I learn for pleasure, as I do not need it for any professional purposes, I just like the sound of it. Recently, I came across an online course which I want to attend, but it is in French, so I guess I would have to learn this language, too (though I am not particularly enchanted by its sound). Does anyone know some free French learning resources other than Duolingo?

One member is currently translating some materials into Spanish. Would you be interested in doing this with Polish?

Yea I'm interested in translating it. So, what should I do?

Time to bump this post instead of making another one.

I'm currently learning Spanish at the moment and I love this site:

http://www.memrise.com/

It uses a pretty effective memorize algorithm, where as soon as you learn a word it asks you that question say in another 5-10 minutes again. I'm coupling this with Butterfly Spanish YouTube channel too so I can actually see a native speak it and explain the words.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ButterflySpanishola

What I do is I go on Memrise for around 15-20 minutes and complete my daily goal and then I pop over to butterfly Spanish and watch a video related to what I was learning today.

It's working for me as I'm now starting to grasp a few of the sayings. What software, course or app do you all use? I'm interested to see what other people like using!

Edited by Falky
Grammar

I use Memrise to learn legal English, though I have some doubts how reliable the courses are since they are prepared by users, so maybe the translations are not really correct? Anyway, if anyone here knows good free courses on legal English, I would be very grateful :)               

My language of choice is Japanese. I have college textbooks, Japanese for dummies, and a few other books. What helped me even more than books though, was talking with a lady who taught Japanese once a week on skype. Maybe you can find something like that? I found that group via google+.

I learning bahasa indonesia  and having friends around you speaking the language and actively trying to help you really helps a ton. (most of my friends are from there) I also found the anki flashcardsoftware to be extremley usefull once you get around configuring everything.