Sign in to follow this  
hycniejsy

After 3 days for 3 days...

So, I got relapsed and played for about 3-5 hours each of this 3 days, but it gave me a good lesson.

I was seriously happy because I wasn't playing. However when it came to study for exams, I just wanted to escape from that effort. So I downloaded game and spent this time I have planned for learning.

I'm back on track right now, no back square one, but strengthen by this experience.

I just don't want to relapse again when it come to study, I have to study A LOT to finish my course.

Sometimes I went to library and it helped me in focusing on task, however there are some days when libraries are closed in my town (New Year, sundays)

Any other suggestions?

Hey Tomasz. Thanks for sharing.

Relapse doesn't have to be a bad thing if you learn from it. So what you've seen is that you game to procrastinate and escape from studying. What you've done to go to a library is the right idea. If libraries aren't open, check out coffee shops. Bring headphones if background noise bothers you (I'm at a coffee shop right now.) The key is to get out of the house. If you're not at your house, it's a lot harder to game.

Something else that helps me study is being clear on exactly what I need to study. Instead of "I need to study this book." I focus more on "I need to study this section." Clarity in what I need to do helps me follow through.

I have this video on procrastinating that has some good tips. It's an older video so don't judge me :P

All right, I watched this video before, but I see that I didn't implement this knowledge. My bad.

Anyways, I'm going to do it right now. I have already checked where can I go to study, and I'll prepare plan for tomorrow and also chapters I need to learn.

Thanks for quick reply!

By the way, I think this video is fine, I wouldn't see difference between "older" and new video

Hi Tomasz,

I have relapsed twice on my journey so far, so I can understand how you've been feeling. A recommendation I would have would be to find some people that also study the same subject, and arrange a time to study with them. Group work (managed effectively) increases the amount of content that is revised by each person tremendously if each person summarises a different section of a topic you're studying in common. Additionally, group work sets up accountability for you to study at a certain time arranged, as you would need a pretty damn good excuse to get out of a group study session you've set up with friends.

I hope this helps and good luck studying!

Damn, after studied today for 2 hours pretty well, I relapsed again.

It took me 4 hours to stop.

Now I have a commitment for 2016: QUIT THIS F****** GAMES FOREVER.

Damn, after studied today for 2 hours pretty well, I relapsed again.

It took me 4 hours to stop.

Now I have a commitment for 2016: QUIT THIS F****** GAMES FOREVER.

After you studied... what justification did you use to game?

The justification was "I'm tired, and I did enough for today (I did better than yesterday). Let's just play for a couple of minutes, because it requires much less energy than studying limits."

The justification was "I'm tired, and I did enough for today (I did better than yesterday). Let's just play for a couple of minutes, because it requires much less energy than studying limits."

Ok cool. So what I would encourage you to think about is the next time you are tired and you've done enough studying for the day, what else could you do that would give you that is a resting activity and reward? When you need a break from studying, what can you do?

This will help you avoid that trap next time. :)