Sign in to follow this  
Jimuel

Fortnite

Hello Game Quitters, today I'd want to talk to you about a serious topic about a game called 'Fortnite' Fortnite is game where you can play on solo or work with a group on people. The objective is to be the last one standing similar to the 'Hunger Games' and if you want I mean by the game. If you don't know what the game looks like. Look it up or watching a couple of videos of the game. I play 'Fornite' but not a lot because I'd don't want to get to distracted by it and I'd want to invest my time in other activities, projects, and priorities. In this subject, I'd want to talk serious issues of people playing the game and how behavior can change and how addictive the game be for people that want to play more and more. I'd seen articles and news report, on how people keep playing the game whenever they're home, school at the mall, etc. Some schools have banned the game because students don't focus on the academics. So what are your thoughts about this game? How is this affecting people's lives? Share your thoughts about it. 

Like all games, it will suck up tons of time, energy, and money until you find yourself ruined years down the line.  The problem with playing in moderation is that it makes it take you a year to get good instead of a couple of weeks.  Games like this are always pulling on us to go an extra hour, spend a long weekend, whatever to get better than that jerk who trashed us yesterday. 

Everyone here is here because they have this problem.  There is no game that will help us become the programmer, writer, artist, student, etc. that we are meant to be.  All games offer us is a little excitement in exchange for our future successful and happy lives.

Thanks for the Fortnite ad though.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

On 5/30/2018 at 6:41 PM, Jimuel said:

Yeah no prob. 

Lol, I think he was being sarcastic.

Your post is equivalent of walking into a drug rehab center and telling people about this new drug that's hitting the streets.

Like @Some Yahoo said, we're all here because games are preventing us from achieving what we want to achieve in life. Games are DESIGNED to take up more and more of your time, to keep you playing so that you stay engaged, keep buying more time in an online game or DLCs for an offline game. Civilization takes pride in its "just one more turn" addictiveness. And I've literally spent hours playing Civ and not even enjoying it, but being unable to stop.

So this game is nothing new to the gaming world. Games are designed to suck people in and so they do.

• Like 2

On 5/22/2018 at 7:49 PM, Some Yahoo said:

Like all games, it will suck up tons of time, energy, and money until you find yourself ruined years down the line.  The problem with playing in moderation is that it makes it take you a year to get good instead of a couple of weeks.  Games like this are always pulling on us to go an extra hour, spend a long weekend, whatever to get better than that jerk who trashed us yesterday. 

Everyone here is here because they have this problem.  There is no game that will help us become the programmer, writer, artist, student, etc. that we are meant to be.  All games offer us is a little excitement in exchange for our future successful and happy lives.

Thanks for the Fortnite ad though.

Spoiler

I'd say that you're wrong about games not teaching to be a programmer. There is a brilliant thing called Shenzhen I/O, in which you actually write code for microcontrollers. 

This game, however, is still only a game, and while it teaches you some assembler, its much much much more fullfilling to work on real deal stuff, and it doesn't teach you electronics so you cant really use that skill in real life.

Edited by nekoexmachina

You can learn programming from studying games, but you can't become a programmer by only playing games.  I should know.  I am a programmer.  If you think you can play a game for 10,000 hours and then make software commercially - professionally - or even open source, you're wrong.  You have to put down the controller and study how it's done.

• Like 1

On 22-5-2018 at 7:49 PM, Some Yahoo said:

Everyone here is here because they have this problem.  There is no game that will help us become the programmer, writer, artist, student, etc. that we are meant to be.  All games offer us is a little excitement in exchange for our future successful and happy live

That one really hit home.

• Like 1