NEW PODCAST: No, video games aren't the same as watching TV and here's why...

GLawrence

My friends are all turning on me...

What should I do? My friends recently found out that I deleted my steam account. They're all contacting me (And each other, as I have come to find out) about how 'stupid' it was to have done something like that.

Also, I recently got a hair cut, and have been styling my hair very diffenrently from how i used to. They're on about that as well. What should I do? I'm unable to make any move, as that have me seemingly surrounded. They're all gamer friends, but I've done other things with them all of the time. I feel really stuck. 

• Like 1

From experience I'd say there are 3 possibilities to why they act that way:

1. They feel attacked because they probably unconsciously know that gaming affects them negatively as well and accepting that would destroy their illusion of everything being fine.

2. They never were real friends and only accept people who don't stand out of their "mass" - sry don't know how to describe it better.

3. They really care to have you as a friend and are afraid of losing the only thing they've in common with you and therefore act like idiots to get you back to gaming (doesn't seem that way as you mentioned you did other stuff with them as well) - if that's the case talking would definitely help (was the case with a person I spent nearly all my online-playing time with)

But there could be different reasons as well..... 

Perhaps asking the one of them closest to you (your best friend maybe) about it - if that doesn't help maybe think about finding new friends - even if that may be a scary idea...

If I remember right @Cam Adair made a YouTube video about it

Good luck with your problem

• Like 1

Basically you have learned early that gaming is a dead end.  I would confide in 2 or 3 friends what you are trying to do, and if they are not going to support you - well you don't have to ditch them, but you should probably demote them to acquaintances. 

Real friends would want what's good for you.

• Like 1