NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Moderate Usage Overall, but sometimes it's all I could do.

Sophomore here. I have not seriously committed to this before now. I've now decided I am going to go the entire summer break video game free.

I'm doing various self-improvement things and also trying to get rid of worse habits than my bad way of playing video games. I want to make my dopamine receptors normal again, so anything that isn't good is out. The goal is to improve, and I realize that video games the way I have been using them have not fit properly. I don't clock in an insane amount of hours like some people on here, but my problem is that I essentially "binge" a video game for an entire weekend every once in a while, or if I am stressed I procrastinate and perhaps play a video game instead of studying, or use them out of boredom. Basically, it could be a lot worse, but the way I am using them is not in a good way, so I want to fix it.

My pledge is that I am okay going 100% video game free for life and I realize to even just take a break you have to be okay with the possibility of quitting forever. Otherwise, the 'just once' justification is too easy. But, and this is a big but, if I am invited to play say a game like Wii Sports for half an hour once in a blue moon then I will play. That exception will apply after I first go 100 days completely video game free. I won't be falling into the same trap though. I will not be using video games in the same way at all at that point. Basically, it will be only a very small portion of my life. Any super time-consuming game is out, and permanently all iPhone games are out the window. I will also not be replacing this with bad internet habits. I am on NoSurf, and I've gotten ColdTurkey and RescueTime. However, those are only helpers. The main objective is that I personally want to and will quit bad habits.

The main goal is to not waste my life hiding from my problems and using it to mask boredom; that is totally different than using it as a medium for social interaction. Not as in online multiplayer, but as in playing Pictionary, etc. This is part of a greater self-improvement plan I have.

I was doing good in the winter but completely blew it a month ago. Now, after I've said I'm quitting so many times, this is it. Saying it won't make it happen, and I understand that every time I go back IT IS A CHOICE. Every time, it was always a choice.

I have plans for my life, and I've been depressed (anxiety is still present), but I realize now no matter what I've done, and no matter if anyone tries I decide if I want to be the best person I can possibly be.

This is my serious commitment to quitting video games for 100-days, and thereafter using them in a limited, fun, social setting ONLY.

• Like 3

Wow, I think you've shown a lot of maturity by taking that commitment.  When I was your age, giving up gaming (for any period) was nowhere on my radar, and looking back, I think it could have helped me tremendously.

Good luck brother

On 5/3/2018 at 1:09 PM, Cam Adair said:

Welcome! This summer is going to be a great one for you. 

On 5/7/2018 at 2:21 PM, dwalk77 said:

Wow, I think you've shown a lot of maturity by taking that commitment.  When I was your age, giving up gaming (for any period) was nowhere on my radar, and looking back, I think it could have helped me tremendously.

Good luck brother

Thank you both very much!