NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

90 days to be born again

TheoV2

#Day 0

Feeling pretty nervous, but mainly excited to begin this journey. I've uninstalled all the games I had on my computer, as well as the links/forums concerning gaming, and I'm trying to sell my accounts to truly trigger the shift in my lifestyle.

I'm planning to make an agenda in the next days, and I can't wait to receive "The power of habit" and "The slight edge", 2 books that Cam recommended in one of his videos, and which seem really interesting to understand more about why I acted like I did towards video games.

• Like 2

Good luck man! Getting rid of the games is tough, but I am enjoying the changes being game free has brought and I think you will to. Like Cam said, take it one day at a time. Dont focus on trying to make it 90 days without gaming, just focus on avoiding it in the moment.

• Like 1

#Day 1 :

Everything went perfectly (thankfully) ! It felt really good having a lot of things to do (basically prepare everything that will help me for the next months such as sport planning, making excel tables for my new rhythm, etc ...) and not seeing the time pass by whatsoever. I'm beginning the module 5 tonight on how to be more productive ! (By the way, I didn't find a way to save my progress through the modules, so I have to start again from the start every time, is there any possibility to do so ?)

I'm as motivated as ever, and I can't wait to see how the next few days are going to turn out !

Have a good evening !

PS : Thank you for the support @Cam Adair @mikeyb93 @Philipp ! I definitely need to go one step at a time, but the excitement of starting this journey is really strong !

• Like 1

#Day 2 :

An other active day : I took the time to do a lot of sport, created my meal/gym plan myself on an google sheet, bought some furniture for my house, and I'm finally going to have that enjoyment of watching the new episodes of my favorite TV show (the 100) released today !

I'm slowly but surely filling my Google Calendar up, even thought it doesn't look really full yet (I failed for the second time my school in January, so I don't have any professional activities going on at the moment)

• Like 1

#Day 3 :

Today was my last day seeing my psychologist, now that I realize that all my problems were related to gaming, I don't need to search with him anymore about where my strange habits came from. I told him I'm still open to having a session with him in case my motivation disappears.

I also did some "observational drawing" for a potential school (3D Animation) next year. A lot of sport as well, as usual, and I finally ended the day by having a drink with a good friend of mine.

Overall, still pretty straight forward, I spend a really low amount of time at home, and everything is going smoothly.

11 hours ago, mikeyb93 said:

Sounds like you are getting off to a good start. How does your meal plan look? I always have trouble making and sticking to one. Any tips?

Thanks ! I think it principally depends on your lifestyle, but I personally enjoy Intermittent fasting (only eating during a period of 8 hours). The key is to find diversity in what you eat, and to enjoy what you cook ! Don't feel guilty if you "cheat" sometimes, just stick to the core of your meal plan :) !

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheoV2 said:

Thanks ! I think it principally depends on your lifestyle, but I personally enjoy Intermittent fasting (only eating during a period of 8 hours). The key is to find diversity in what you eat, and to enjoy what you cook ! Don't feel guilty if you "cheat" sometimes, just stick to the core of your meal plan :) !

Looks like I am almost IF already I eat in a 9-10 hour block for the most part. I think the eating diversity is the tough part for me. Thanks for the help!

• Like 1

#Day 4 :

Last night was the second time in a row that I took 3 hours to fall asleep. It is pretty frustrating because I switch off screens and I read for 30 minutes, I even take meds that should help falling asleep, but nothing to do : I switched the light off at 11 pm, and only fell asleep at around 2 am. The consequence being that I woke up later than I wanted to.

Other than that, everything went well today. Still managed to get my gym session before my first meal, the day was colder and cloudier so I stayed home for the majority of the afternoon. I finally went to see the last Tomb Raider with my mum, it was pretty good !

I started reading a new book called "Thinking fast and slow", I'd recommend it to you if you're interested about psychology and how the brain works.

Edited by TheoV2

#Day 5 :

Pretty good day overall, went to the gym in the morning, then spent the afternoon drawing for a potential school for next year, and driving around Zürich to find an agenda (I prefer righting and then crossing the tasks that are done) and some English books ! Didn't find the agenda, but bought a Steven King and Crushing it (An entrepreneur book).

I also registered for a webinar on cryptocurrencies next week ! Slowly setting my goals for the second week of the detox : I want to find at least one event that interests me to go to.

• Like 1

#Day 6 :

I felt pretty lazy and tired today. Probably the result of an intensive week : I spent around 12 hours doing sports, and even more just planning my new lifestyle. Still was able to get a good gym session, played some Avicii songs on the guitar (I was very affected by his death because I grew up, like many others, with his songs, and his lyrics always had a deep meaning to me : "So wake me up, when it's all over, when I'm wiser and I'm older, all this time I was finding myself, and I, didn't know I was lost" : Wake me up is basically the story of my life under the addiction of video games), and started reading "Crushing It!".

Finally received "The Power of Habit" and "The Slight Edge", so I should be fine for the next month when it comes to reading.

I also renamed my secondary Instagram page (which used to be the one I created when I first started the gym a year and a half ago) to "from_games_to_gains" with two objectives in mind :

1) I want this page to be another way for me to mark and track my progress over time, and to avoid relapsing with video games by having a visual proof of what I already could achieve.

2) I want my journey to help others who can't live their life to the fullest yet because of video games addiction, and to show the day-to-day commitment that it takes.

Tonight, I finally had my cheat meal of the week (a nice pizza), which felt like a nice reward after this first conclusive week.

Edited by TheoV2

#Day 7 :

Woke up earlier than the other mornings of the week. I went for a walk in the woods as soon as I got up while listening to some motivational podcasts (do things, work hard and you can get the life you want, etc ...). Kept on reading "Crushing It!" as well. Later on, I wanted to work (writing down who I am, where I want to go, what are my goals, what went wrong, etc ... basically everything I need to feel clear about myself, and to potentially relate my story to motivate others late on) from a Starbucks's terrace because it was sunny, but I forgot that they were closed on Sundays. Instead of going home, I decided to stay in a park in front of the lake to keep reading. Then, I met a good friend of mine, and she is the first one, excepted for my parents and my psychologist, to know about my current situation and what exactly happened with games. Felt good to tell everything. Then met some other friends at the lake, and finally went home. When I came back home, my father helped me book courses (2 weeks in Tarifa, Spain) to become a Kite surf instructor in June.

To conclude this week, I'd say that I am really proud of myself : I didn't think about gaming once, I did a lot of things, even though I still need to work on my productivity. However, here are the points that I want to improve for the next weeks :

- Meet new people (through forcing myself to go to meetups, and sign up to a martial-arts school)
- Have a more defined agenda, that I respect.
- Really start developing and writing my story, my passions, my goals, and use them as a way to motivate others ! That includes learning more about psychology and sports, and actively working on my personal brand (through Instagram, and why not YouTube later on)

Thanks again for all the motivation you guys bring me, even though that week felt easy, I'll definitely need it sooner or later.

Edited by TheoV2

#Day 8 :

Didn't here my alarm this morning, which delayed my planning for the day. I went for a long gym session before eating, and then decided to get a new haircut that I never tried before ! Before dinner, I had the time to do another drawing for my potential 3D animation school.

I also registered for a meetup tomorrow night with entrepreneurs and CEO's, who will talk about the Cloud future alternatives and how Crypto can be utilized in this domain.

I really realize that my biggest problem right now is to get things done without expecting them to be perfect. I know it sounds like a dumb excuse, but that's really one of the main factors that holds me back to being more productive.

#Day 9 :

Woke up pretty early today, and went to the gym in the morning. I went to see Avengers : Infinity War, with my brother, and it was pretty lit. Came back home and made some research on a school in Madrid with a bachelor in Human Behavior, subject that has always interested me.

Feeling a little bit tired those days, maybe the lower amount of calories I'm eating (in particular carbohydrates), or the bad weather. Either way, I finally got my goals for 2018 and my life written down, I just have to put everything in place right now to achieve them.

#Day 10 :

Finally received "The 5 minute journal", which will definitely help me in building my motivation even higher and feeling grateful for what I have.

Other than that, today was "normal" : went to the gym, finally got an agenda to write all my daily and weekly goals, worked on my Kite surf instructor manual and on the application form for the school in Human Behavior.

I still need to get more productive, that's my main focus right now. The tools I finally have will definitely help me in that task.

By the way, I just realized that I didn't even talk about games for the last 5 days. That's mainly because I didn't feel any cravings, and I didn't think of them a single time, although I have to be careful with the time I spend doing nothing on my phone/PC.

Edited by TheoV2
  • Like 1

#Day 11 :

Got a phone interview with a school (that would be my plan B if I'm not accepted into the schools I really want), that was pretty awkward. The girl on the phone was actually very "shy/unsure about what to say" (it should've been the contrary, considering the fact that I didn't know much about the school and the program). So I can't really tell how it went, hopefully it worked out.

Other than that, I woke up early, went to the gym as soon as the interview was over. Worked a lot on some motivation essays that the Behavior Science school in Madrid needs in the application form, and took the train to Lausanne, the city of my previous schools, to see friends and attend to a festival tomorrow.

• Like 1

#Day 12 :

Slept with a friend in Lausanne, and just came back from playing squash with him. During the afternoon, went to a BBQ with all of my other friends, and finally left for the festival at 07pm. I managed to stay reasonable when it came to drinking/smoking, so I was pretty proud. Enjoyed the festival a lot, and came back in the night.

#Day 13 :

No hangover (didn't drink that much) so I went for a 30 minutes walk to get my gym session done in the morning. Had my cheat meal of the week with a friend of mine who's pretty lost in his life/studies, which of course reminded me a few months back. We talked a lot, and joined our friends to enjoy the good weather by the lakeside. We finished the afternoon with a beach volley, and I took the train back to Zürich with full motivation to begin week 3.

With so many things to do this weekend, I obviously didn't have one second to think about gaming, so everything is still going really smoothly.

• Like 1

#Day 14 :

2 weeks : done !

Worked once again on my application form for my schools (takes time), and played a lot of music tonight. Motivated to start this third week, still didn't have a single craving/thought about gaming once. Pretty happy with how the journey is going so far !

#Day 15 :

Got up early today and had an intense work day. I went to the gym, played some music, caught up with friends on the phone and overall didn't see the time passing.

I signed up for 2 meetups in Zürich : one about how to develop my personal brand Wednesday, and one about a new Microsoft software that incorporates block chain technology on the 23rd of May. Both in English.

I validated the first step (online test, got 87%, needed 70+) for my Kite surf instructor formation that'll be starting in Tarifa on the 11th of June.

Also booked my flight and hotel for Madrid, where I'll be passing my admission test for IE school (Behavior Science) this Friday. I'll start preparing for it tomorrow, even though it is a "logic" test, I'll still try to optimize my chances.