Question of the week: What's your favourite quote?

JustTom

A way to reach potential 'relapsers'

I was following a guy's new journal, but he stopped posting. This is usually a sign of relapse and I would like a way to send him an e-mail that might bring him back(if he didn't relapse than the message will do no harm anyways). 

But I found out that gmail marks GameQuitters emails as spam so even if he has notifications on his thread, the reply will just sit there until he visits this website again. I know that when I relapse, I try to actively avoid contact with people and especially people that would try to point out my gaming. I think I would just not visit this site until I made myself quit again.

So apart from fixing the e-mail being marked as spam issue(this is necessary), I was thinking this: opt-out account setting that allows other members to send an e-mail to the member through gamequitters. This way, the e-mails are not public, member A fills a GQ form and this gets sent to the member as a GQ e-mail.

• Like 3

Definitely an idea I'd love to implement, but don't think we'd be able to do it currently from a dev standpoint.

It's a feature I've talked about in discussions around a GQ app.

On 4/11/2018 at 7:21 PM, JustTom said:

I was following a guy's new journal, but he stopped posting. This is usually a sign of relapse and I would like a way to send him an e-mail that might bring him back(if he didn't relapse than the message will do no harm anyways).

Good idea, @JustTom. You and a couple more people have recently tried to reach out to the ones who have dropped off.  I wish these people would get notified too.  :(  It happens too often.  They're gung-ho about the Detox idea, but they disappear as quickly as they came.

I wonder if asking people for their email address, to buddy up with them, could be the 'first' step for ongoing accountability and communication outside of this website?

• Like 2

On 4/13/2018 at 11:10 AM, Cam Adair said:

Definitely an idea I'd love to implement, but don't think we'd be able to do it currently from a dev standpoint.

It's a feature I've talked about in discussions around a GQ app.

Well just fixing the bug with GQ e-mails being marked as spam would go a long way in my opinion. This way I simply send the user a message through GQ and it will show up as e-mail unless he/she specifically turned that off. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JustTom said:

Well just fixing the bug with GQ e-mails being marked as spam would go a long way in my opinion. This way I simply send the user a message through GQ and it will show up as e-mail unless he/she specifically turned that off. 

@stablish any ideas on the mail bug?

Some providers mark GQ as spam, some dont. For me Outlook for example marks any GQ mail as spam, while Gmail puts it into the correct non-spam inbox.

Best bet is to whitelist GQ and hope that your provider wont filter mails into spam.