NEW PODCAST: Do Loot Boxes Lead to Problem Gambling?

JustTom

Anyone kept healthily gaming in moderation after a successful detox?

I'm just at the beginning of my journey, but I'm curious. I know I will never return to online competitive games because those are just dopamine stimulators and nothing else, but there are certain single-player games that are short and very unique/artistic/philosophical. Games such as (spoiler = trigger warning because of names of games)

Spoiler

Amnesia, SOMA, Tale of two brothers or whatever it was called :6_smile: and others...

games that just take ~6 hours to complete, to me this is similar as watching a movie. Also, I am quite excited about new tech and would love to buy a VR system once I have the money(and the next gen of VR comes) and freedom to do so, to try some insane horror experience or such. 

I would also be okay never playing ANY games ever again, this is not my cravings speaking. But you know - has anybody done it without relapsing?

• Like 1

Hey Tom,

I read journals of a few people who played single player games and did fine after the detox. So it seems to be possible to consume games like TV or other not that harmful timewasters. The key is to be aware of how it feels if you game. I am pretty sure that everyone who has gone through the detox can try it and will immediatly get a feeling if it is damaging to him or not. I personally tried several times after my detox but I could never control myself if I was excited about the game. It also felt like old times, which let me shudder today if I think about it.

• Like 2

Yeah that makes sense. Afterall, the purpose of the detox is to clear out the head and body so that we can be rational about gaming and have the control to decide.

• Like 2