NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

90 Days: No Coffee

Cam Adair

Just now, info-gatherer said:

Did you try decaffeinated coffee? That’s what I drink in the evening. It’s not as good as “real” coffee but atleast it’s not addictive.

Trying tea for now. Not the biggest fan of chemicals in decaf coffee.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cam Adair said:

Trying tea for now. Not the biggest fan of chemicals in decaf coffee.

Fair enough, I didn’t even know about that :D There’s caffeine in tea though. But maybe you want to quit for another reason. Anyway, good luck! Trying this mysef sooner or later.

Ok.  Cam, I never thought I'd EVER see you start a 90 Day journal for anything at all. 

But coffee?

Well, tea is a fine substitute.  If you do not  like too much caffeine, I'd try the herbals and also rooibos (red tea, caffeine free, great with cinnamon).

Best of luck!

I started drinking coffee daily when I tried quitting coke and pepsi back in 2003. I would get these massive cravings! I had to find a substitute so coffee was it. I just drink it with cream and I get a headache if I don't get it within an hour of waking up. So if it helps you then good for you!

I now have a cola maybe once or twice a month.

10 hours ago, Cam Adair said:

Day 1.

I just want coffee. :32_expressionless:

Welcome, we have a guide called Respawn that you could use :3_grin:

You're quitting coffee and I'm starting with it lol. Will Cam be able to achieve maximum focus with just the mere power of his mind?? Goodness, so looking forward to witness that.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, info-gatherer said:

Fair enough, I didn’t even know about that :D There’s caffeine in tea though. But maybe you want to quit for another reason. Anyway, good luck! Trying this mysef sooner or later.

Given numerous health scares connected to early efforts in decaffeination using solvents such as benzene, trichloroethylene, and chloroform, the solvents of choice have become dichloromethane and ethyl acetate.

All of those are described as "mildly toxic". Toxic is still toxic. Ultimately, they stilll have caffeine in them as well.

Drink plenty of water in the mornings Cam. I found that when I gave up coffee, that a lot of the symptoms I was associating with "needing coffee", such as being lethargic, headaches, mental blocks, irritable - are all symptoms of being dehydrated. Having a coffee masks those feelings because of the side effects of caffeine (short term energy boost, mental agility) so we never address what the actual issue is - we are dehydrated. It is worse in the morning because we have just spent 6+ hours asleep without water.

I know you don't like sparkling water :10_wink:, so try water with a squeeze of lemon. Place a glass of it by your bed when you go to sleep, and drink it as soon as you wake up.

If you want to keep trying tea - the best one for you will be white tea, followed by green then your usual black. If you want to still have the "ritual" of drinking tea during a break or socially, there are plenty of non-caffienated teas out there that are usually stocked by cafes or supermarkets.

• Like 1

Day 4.

I'm quitting for 90 days because I haven't gone more than 3 days without coffee since I was a young teenager and the thought of quitting for 90 days gives me more anxiety than anything else. It's a commitment for me to take my sovereignty back, and it's a commitment to my growth.

• Like 3

Good thing you are replacing it to start. When I quit caffeine completely cold turkey, I crashed hard. I literally slept for two weeks straight with the exception of bathroom breaks. Sadly I'm not exaggerating. I slept through my eldest baby being crazy and trashing the house. I couldn't function. It's crazy how one ingredient can have so much power over your body. 

Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Day 6: 

Notice the rationalizations.

Notice the negotiations.

Today's list: This is fucking pointless. Why would I remove something I love? Coffee isn't even bad for me. 90 days is too long. I'm just replacing it with Chai's instead which are a) more expensive b) more sugar c) I drink them too fast. I've also tried to make a deal with myself that I will do meditation once a day instead of giving up coffee. 

lol.

• Like 4

Remove all caffeine all together and watch the headaches, migraines, anger, and then suddenly...comatose behavior pop up. 

It is actually not good for you. It modifies your body's natural ability to sleep when it needs too and cause a happy feeling. 

Coffee is liquid crack for people who don't do drugs. :P

Edited by Natasha
  • Like 1

Day 7: 

Anytime you're wavering on your commitment, remind yourself of your why.

Why are you committed to this? Why is this important for you? What was your original inspiration?

For me, it was to be fully committed to my personal growth. So no amount of rationalizations or negotiations can overcome THAT.

They are just emotions coming up and masking themselves as logical arguments. They are not the Truth.

• Like 1