NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

What's everyone reading?

Some Yahoo

I've already read half of the book once but now I'm re-reading from the beginning - Six Pillars of Self-Esteem by Nathaniel Branden. For me personally, it is the greatest 'self-development' book out there. Written by an expert psychotherapist, the book provides a very unique and broad view of self-esteem that covers essentially your entire life. Great read for whichever phase in life a person finds him/herself at, I think.

• Like 1

Six Pillars of Self Esteem is the goldmine book to read. I've spent so much time gaming I've ignored what Branden teaches as the guideline to a healthy self-esteem in a person. This book makes me want to buy it and put it on a shelf and re-read it 3 times at least, as It is relative to all stages and areas of life as @JustTom also mentions.

I find resolving my issue with self-esteem goes beyond merely helping with quitting gaming, but building the concrete foundation for a prosperous and healthy life.

Edited by Arch

Adolf Hitler by John Toland

I grabbed this book as a free audiobook with my library and I am learning quite a lot about the start of World War 2 that I was not aware of - mainly how Hitler came to power. It initially was very interesting (again, influenced by how little I think I knew) but it starting to get a bit dry now that I am up to the section where England has declared war.

I signed up to Goodreads 2018 reading challenge. The average number of books set by users was 47, so I set mine at 48. I'm only 3 in....

• Like 1

Syrian Notebooks, Jonathan Littell.

No pictures, just bare diaries and scrapes of words of when the journalist went through what are essentially a series of towns and villages consumed by guerilla fighting and wrote about the day to day - going to field hospitals, and the horror stories, looking at rooftops and seeing sniper posts, the structure of the FSA (the counter-government army) and ordinary people, as well as his own contempt for Western governments for refusing to step in.

A large part of modern foreign affairs politics in my short life has been looking at places where things look bad, but I didn't have any evidence. Reading this book again, it (assuming everything written in it can be trusted) showed me just the banality of oppression, and the illogic and horror of one group of people trying to supress another because of religion. Not the thing you'd read to your kids.

But excellent war journalism. Attempting to convey that kind of environment has only resonated with me when you're in the thick of it. It's too easy to talk about abstract concepts to civilians like us, and to ignore the conditions of those suffering. It's harder when you have this kind of info in front of you.

"Think occasionally of the suffering you spare yourself the sight of"

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/10/2018 at 6:20 PM, JoshD said:

The Willpower Instinct by Kelly McGonigal

Heard it was a great book for self-control and willpower.  I picked it up today at the library and will check it out sometime this week instead of gaming.

My beautiful, charming, and talented wife got me this on Kindle.  Mini Habits by Steven Guise.  I strongly recommend this book.  He tends to go on a bit, but his research and psychology seem sound to me.   

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2060251.Los_suicidas

"Los suicidas" by Antonio di Bedenetto

Just finished reading it yesterday. Astounding book. Brief but astounding. Antonio di Benedetto isn't as nearly recognized as he should be. I don't recommend it if you are feeling the blues, for obvious reasons. I'm not sure it's been translated to english. "The silence maker" or "The silentist" it's available though,which is also great

Edited by Ech0
  • Like 1