NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Primus's Daily Journal

AssellusPrimus

10 hours ago, AssellusPrimus said:

Its amazing that is only day 4, it feels like weeks. I feel good, and I am really enjoying the extraordinary amount of additional time I have in my life to work on things that are important to me. A big part of my life now is learning to manage all this extra time to not only be productivity but also to cultivate spirituality and relationships.I got out yesterday, had a long overdue haircut and got in touch with some old friends. Been listening to a lot of podcasts which have been so enjoyable and continuing to journal my goals. 

I also got a haircut todayt! ^^ Indeed it is good to take that extra time to sort things out outside of the usual realm of career. Sometimes even super little things like tidying up the room or getting an over-due haircut feels like cleansing the soul and leaving opportunity to grow! Good luck! 

Day 8

Haven't blogged in a while but all is well, focusing on wrapping up the last of the exams, occasionally playing a game of online the magic gathering a card game. I am realizing that I miss the competetive nature of the gaming community so I am going to look into joining some form of competetive sports or activity to help sharpen my mind and find new activities. 

-S

Day 9

Great day, spent some time at the library studying, been playing a card game online, but I don't believe it is contributing to my development or meeting my competitive needs in good way so I will look at replacing that behavior with a better one, but I am not sure at this moment what that habit is. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AssellusPrimus said:

Day 9

Great day, spent some time at the library studying, been playing a card game online, but I don't believe it is contributing to my development or meeting my competitive needs in good way so I will look at replacing that behavior with a better one, but I am not sure at this moment what that habit is. 

I think going to a gaming store and playing magic with real people will be beneficial for you. They have competitions, the people you meet and make new friends with, and it gets you out if the house. 

Edited by Natasha

Day 10

Had a very productive day, woke up with love in my heart and a renewed determination. Spent a lot of time being productive but also reflecting on the nature of productivity verse being content and acceptance of yourself in the moment. I recently joined an app called Habitica, its kinda like a game, but you set goals, and tasks and when you complete them your hero improves, its a cool concept and I helps me manage my task list. I have my last exam tomorrow and I am so excited to be finished school! Thank the lord, looking forward to heading up to Niagara Falls for the weekend.

@Natelovesboardgames Hey Nate, great idea, I was starting to realize MTG was a play to win. I think I am gonna invest in a D&D board game, unfortunately there are not to many public D&D meet ups in my city, so maybe I can find a more private one. 

Edited by AssellusPrimus
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, AssellusPrimus said:

Day 10

Had a very productive day, woke up with love in my heart and a renewed determination. Spent a lot of time being productive but also reflecting on the nature of productivity verse being content and acceptance of yourself in the moment. I recently joined an app called Habitica, its kinda like a game, but you set goals, and tasks and when you complete them your hero improves, its a cool concept and I helps me manage my task list. I have my last exam tomorrow and I am so excited to be finished school! Thank the lord, looking forward to heading up to Niagara Falls for the weekend.

@Natelovesboardgames Hey Nate, great idea, I was starting to realize MTG was a play to win. I think I am gonna invest in a D&D board game, unfortunately there are not to many public D&D meet ups in my city, so maybe I can find a more private one. 

The best games are with people who are already friends. Get the 5th edition starter set and invite your friends to get together and try it out. Read about how to run the game and do it. It's a bit scary and keeps you on your toes but if you like to think on your feet and improvise when needed you'll do well. I personally think it's more fun to play than to run it but you get to be really creative if you're the one who is DMing.

If you'd rather a board game then Descent Journeys in the Dark is a good dungeon crawl game for a group of players. Castle Ravenloft or Wrath of Ashardalon might be good too. Wiz War is fun. A lot of people like Talisman but I thought it got old fast. All the newer editions have been out a few years so shouldn't be too hard to find a used copy at a cheaper price like on Ebay or Amazon. 

• Like 1

@Natasha I have a younger brother, so we usually play a game or too a day. I agree, playing with real people is much more beneficial than playing online, I find if its just me and my brother its not as competitive and their is no need to spend huge amounts of money on cards because the decks are relatively balanced and we can always switch. 

• Like 1

Day 12

Had a few minor relapses where I download a new game but I am finding I don´t play more than 30 minutes because 1) I can´t run the software well on my laptop, this was done intentionally as a safeguard mechanism and 2) I am simply, not as motivated to play the same way I used too. Yesterday was 420, so I went out with my best friend and we celebrated over a nice dinner, we ordered a few appetizers and shared food discussed thoughts, I noticed the uniqueness and benefits of sharing food, and I don´t mean just allow friends to try something on your plate, but ordering a meal to be shared, between two people. It was very calming and special, I realized I need to get out a bit more and work on my social skills. 

Sheldon

Day 14

So I made my way up to Niagara Falls to visit my family for the weekend. We are finally getting some beautiful weather. I have managed to avoid my main sources of addiction but have found myself gaming on the phone and on my laptop for a few hours a day and I dont want to make a habit of it. I will be leaving in 20 days for Ecuador so I dont see it being to much of a problem. I just finished my last exam so I am done for the summer and looking forward to enjoying the beautiful weather :)

S

Day 17

@Arch Hey Arch, I actually traveled through Ecuador in December and really enjoyed it! I would totally reccomend for a trip to South America, such a friendly country with a beautiful and giving culture and community! Itś actually be rated the #1 retirement country in the world! I saw lots of older westerners living their during my 3 week travels.

To report to my journal, Day 17 is not an honest caption of the number of days without gaming, more like measurement of time from which I started to really monitor and evaluate my behaviour. I have noticed that gaming is trying to seep into my life using fitness, creeping into my phone, through card games like Hearth Stone, or onto with computer with a 2hr Sim creation, before an install, and most of all, though not video games, Netflix.

Heard and interesting approach to Re-creation when reading Scrambled Minds (an incredible book exploring  Attention Deficit Disorder or ADD) by Dr. Gabor Máte, recreation or ¨re-creation¨ should be a process in which you are nourishing your mind and resting your body, it should be a process of growth. This has made me think more carfully about how I am spending my recreational time, and whether the activities I participate in actually contribute to my development, Netflix is a good example. 

Just some thoughts to share with you, if anyone is interested in ADD and would love to share approaches to life management, the floor is yours.

-S  

• Like 1

Day 18

Today was a busy day, I spend the morning doing some reorganizing, then went to treat myself to a massage and spent some time at a coffee making preparations for my upcoming travels. No gaming today! Woot. There´s more but I am watching a movie :P, but didn't want to leave the journal incomplete again.