JustTom

JustTom's Journal

Day 28 | Productive Hours: 11 | Focus: 70% | Current habit: No Morning Browsing (1/7)

The Rant

Back to full hustle mode. My focus now diverts from business to the next batch of assignments. Still have some *info gathering* to do. Will be actively going to meetups and participating in FB groups etc. My facebook and reddit feed has turned into an entrepreneurship hub at this point. I don't even see memes because of the number of groups I joined. 

I'm feeling bold so I'm changing the 8 Hours of Sleep to 7.5 Hours of Sleep, natural wake-ups still allowed.

Achievement

Bounced back no problemo.

Additional Stats

8 Hours of Sleep: 1/1
Dream Journal: 1/1
No Morning Browsing: 1/1

Gym: 1/1
Ate healthy: 1/1

Action

You know... just the usual... CRUSH IT!!!!!!

Edited by JustTom
  • Like 2

Wow, be proud of yourself after dealing with those urges to game on saturday (I think it was on saturday, I read from your yesterday's post), that is some real inspiration. I am trying to pay more attention to your journal because I actually get really positive vibes from reading it, reminds me of so many things.. Have just been too busy lately.

Remember that the occasional hardships are just a part of life and now your nature is really weighed, because after quitting (and before reaching the end of the detox) your emotions are probably going from one end to the other - hence the feelings that make you feel on the top of the world one day, and in the bottom the next day. It's just natural and there is nothing wrong with it. Those moments teach us.

Keep up the nice work, waiting to see more here, for sure! :)

• Like 2

Day 29 | Productive Hours: 7 | Focus: 30% | Current habit: No Morning Browsing (1/7)

The Rant

Just couldn't get into it today, lots of procrastination. Instead of doing the assignments I constantly read about business... perhaps because I still haven't made a decision on which one to do in july. Also, I overslept for 3 hours, hence only 6 productive hours, because got held up last night listening to music and browsing late into the night. I partly blame the sickness, even if it's not that bad it still drains some energy and I feel like shit in the morning because of built up mucus etc. 

Updating here before working out - if I put in some extra hours before bed I will edit later.

Achievement

Aight I REALLY couldn't figure out what to put here today but then after my workout I approached a girl to say hi and joke around for a minute before she left. So THERE. 

Additional Stats

Dream Journal: 0/1
No Morning Browsing: 0.5/1

Action

FOCUS MY MAN - write the fucking todo, block sites, set up pomodoro and finish tasks one by one!!!!!!!

*******************************************************************************************

@JaniP Thanks, I really appreciate the support! The detox is indeed a bumpy road. I 100% believe that after certain time(at the end of detox possibly), I will be uncomparably stronger. 

Edited by JustTom
  • Like 2

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 1:04 AM, JustTom said:

My facebook and reddit feed has turned into an entrepreneurship hub at this point.

Ahaha mine is exactly the same. It's great! Although I don't use reddit

• Like 1

Day 30 | Productive Hours: 12 | Focus: 80% | Current habit: No Morning Browsing (2/7)

The Rant

Day was sick, see stats up top. I wanted to rant on my talents and what my competitive advantage is, but I'm too tired. However...

When I come home after 10-12 productive hours or a gym on top of that, I still hangout a bit on my laptop, kinda just browsing, listening to music, watching videos. Obviously I didn't commit hard enough to root this out. Today I realized it's taking 1 or 2 hours every day. This is the slight edge that differentiates the good from the great. I'm staying up late to do the laundry tonight, but that time could have been much more focused and useful. When I stay up like this, it's almost like borrowing time from the next day. I've already done a good job today - 12 hours of work is solid(without gym though so could be better), but because this evening procrastination will make me set my alarm for later tomorrow, I took time from tomorrow to procrastinate. Perhaps the next habit should address this. 

Achievement

Full month game-free eeeeeyyyyy!

Additional Stats

Gym: 0/0
Overslept hours: 0

Action

Just gonna leave the one from yesterday...

FOCUS MY MAN - write the fucking todo, block sites, set up pomodoro and finish tasks one by 

Edited by JustTom
  • Like 1

Day 31 | Productive Hours: 7 | Focus: 80% | Current habit: No Morning Browsing (3/7)

The Rant

Only 7 because I went to the gym, overslept for 3 hours and stayed up late yesterday.. hmm.. my dad's biggest point for why I should not start a physical products selling business is that I won't have time for it. He thinks I will start in summer and then when my last year of masters starts, I will either quit school or quit the business, both of which are huge losses.

So just some calculations, averaged by day:

8h of sleep + 1h commuting + 0.5h getting ready in the morning + 1h gym + 1h random things in the evening e.g. dinner, showering + 0.5h chores, cooking and shopping for groceries + 0.5h journaling = 12.5

So I got 11.5 hours per day free on average(with quite optimisic estimates). My average over last 18 days is 9.5/day if I discard outliers(the 0 days), which is 66h/week - THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE :6_smile: just kidding, it's okay. Especially because I manage to go to the gym 3 times per week on top of that. My goal is now to get to 11 hours per day average including outliers, which would amount to 77 hours per week. This obviously isn't pure work - it includes sometimes calls with family, organizing, communicating with people etc. I think this level of time investment is required in order to build the passive income machine while studying as well. There is just no other way around it. 

If I can get to that level within 2 months, I will have proved that I am capable of succeeding in the next 5 years - to myself as well as to my dad. Obviously putting in time is not all there is. It requires the right strategy, confidence, creativity, intensity and tenacity. I think for the most part I got those things handled though. So it comes down to discipline and intensity. 

Achievement

Did not guilt myself about oversleeping.

Additional Stats

Overslept hours: 3

Action

Do not hang out in the evening - eat your eggs, write the journal, shower and go to bed.

Edited by JustTom
  • Like 1

:1301_clap_tone2:

That's supposed to be two hands clapping above.  We don't have the best emote choices on this forum, but I should not complain.

Keep up the positive mindset!  Heck, everyone seems to go through a few set-backs in the detox journey.  But we'll carry on as per usual and 'gedder done'. 

• Like 1

Day 32 | Productive Hours: 9 | Focus: 85% | Current habit: No Morning Browsing (4/7)

The Rant

Overslept again goddamnit xD

But my productivity while being awake is incredible. The reason why the focus is not 100% is that I multi-task too much and let myself be interrupted with random small todo's instead of doing the main task. Besides that, I basically don't procrastinate anymore. When I commute or workout, I listen to audiobooks on 1.5x speed. When I eat lunch, I watch a video on accounting nowadays. I am squeezing every minute I have for value. Even the evenings are getting better, today I didn't waste any time at all except maybe listening to this guy describing his 6 month period of crippling depression. I don't count that as wasted though. It perfectly describes how I felt in the most gaming-heavy times. Especially last october/december. To this day I feel sorry and thankful to my teammates who carried my ass, doing 95% of the course work for me. I swear I will never go back to that mental state again.  

Note: I realized I stopped being strict with video-watching. However, I feel like it has become much more healthy and I'm not overdoing it. Will monitor this very carefully and act appropriately if it goes wrong. 

Achievement

Additional Stats

Overslept hours: 3

Action

Can't believe I have to tell this to myself again but - sit on the chair while trying to recall dreams in the morning, not on the bed. Don't be cocky - falling asleep on the bed is guaranteed. 

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

@Dannigan Thank you so much for the kind words! That's right. We have all committed to live a better life and a few bad hiccups are nothing compared to the reward!

Edited by JustTom

Yo man, I'm back from the trip and really glad to see you killing it! You went through a couple of bad days and just rode that wave out and kept going! Congrats!

Also it's really awesome that you're assessing what's not working and trying to fix the problem. It's all about the iteration, baby. You're an engineer, you clearly know how that works :D

Just a random thought from personal experience about your business: I was obsessed with having a business and passive income a while ago until I got into freelancing. Started on the side, doing some small marketing gigs (not knowing what the hell I was doing), now it's my full-time job and NOW I feel like I've got the capacity to start my own business and am working towards it. I know freelancing ain't exactly passive income, but it does free you. I moved countries since I started doing this, I work with who I want, I charge the rates I like, etc.

It's not for everyone, but just wanted to throw the idea your way in case it strikes your fancy. PM me if you need more tips on that.

Anyway, this is clearly working for you and it's a huge motivation for me to get back to my journal and get serious about my plans. Since I came back from the trip, I haven't been as methodical about the process as I used to be. Need to refresh my goals and start crushing it like you! Thanks for the inspiration man :)

• Like 2

Hello JustTom

Just read all your journal post and it is inspiring, and I like how you have everything scheduled out but I do have a few concerns based on what I read. 

For one I see you limited any distractions which I Comden you for but I see a few drawbacks to this as well. Here why your teaching your brain that there is no reward system that everything is hard work and nothing more than that. This I see is kind of mistake because if you relapse you feel guilty based on your own goals right but I think your brain and body is telling you I cant do all this work with no play. You need a day of rest to get away from all your projects and be inspired by other people and if you don't you will find yourself burned out. 

Which brings me to my next point is stop trying to do too much at once and trying to move forward to quickly because if you do you find your self-checking off everything in your list and missing precious moments in life because you focus on the next thing to get somewhere. Everything takes times and you need to build blocks of quality not quantity

Thirdly I can see frustration and stress in your journal and it almost like you have replaced gaming stymili with getting as many activities done in 1 day which something I think you need to slow down and think for a moment, What is the one you want to do the most now and start building blocks to get there then add more on top of that. 

I hope this helps your emotions will subside after the tornado effect has left. 

• Like 2

Day 33 | Productive Hours: 11 | Focus: 95% | Current habit: No Morning Brosing (5/7) 

The Rant

Additional Stats

Sleep hours: 6

Action

No pressure. Wake up whenever you want, even if after 12+ hours, it's fine. Let the body heal. 

Write a mission statement in the morning for the next weekly habit.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

@karabas @zeke365 Thank you for your advice and encouragement. I will respond tomorrow or the day after.

Edited by JustTom
  • Like 2

Day 34 | Productive Hours: 0 | Focus: N/A | Current habit: No Morning Brosing (5/7) 

Day 35 | Productive Hours: 0 | Focus: N/A | Current habit: No Morning Brosing (5/7) 

The Rant

Goddamnit okay I did it again. Just like last week, but I don't even have sickness as an excuse this time. Two zero-days in a row. Sabotaged absolutely everything including month worth of fat loss and honestly feel like a piece of shit right now. I don't want to ramble or philosophize this time, just posting this here for transparency. Tomorrow I'll be back on track and think about how to prevent this.

Edited by JustTom

11 hours ago, JustTom said:

Goddamnit okay I did it again. Just like last week, but I don't even have sickness as an excuse this time. Two zero-days in a row. Sabotaged absolutely everything including month worth of fat loss and honestly feel like a piece of shit right now. I don't want to ramble or philosophize this time, just posting this here for transparency. Tomorrow I'll be back on track and think about how to prevent this.

No worries, bro. Just shake it off and keep going. Stumbling is part of the process, so like you said, just figure out what went wrong and how to prevent it next time and keep going. You'll have these moments and the crucial thing is to keep going (trust me... I've failed so many times, I know).

I do agree with above poster that perhaps you're setting your ambitions and pace too high. It's natural when you're at your peak performance to think "Oh yeah, I can do this forever", but the reality is that we all have good and bad days, and your habits need to be able to survive the bad days. Also, I think that as soon as I get overconfident, I end up slipping. That might be another cause. I might be wrong, but do some self-assessment on this.

And back to crushing it tomorrow!

• Like 2

Thank you so much folks, I was not even reading your journals in this period, but I'll get back to it :) Today I feel like I'm back in form
@karabas I am committed to constant, never-ending growth. I wrote up my mission statement that I will print out and read every morning as my new weekly habit. I realize that in the beginning, things are not perfect and it will take some time for me to become the strongest version of myself. But I do think I am getting much better every week. It's all part of the journey right? 

On 5/4/2018 at 8:51 PM, zeke365 said:

Hello JustTom

Just read all your journal post and it is inspiring, and I like how you have everything scheduled out but I do have a few concerns based on what I read. 

For one I see you limited any distractions which I Comden you for but I see a few drawbacks to this as well. Here why your teaching your brain that there is no reward system that everything is hard work and nothing more than that. This I see is kind of mistake because if you relapse you feel guilty based on your own goals right but I think your brain and body is telling you I cant do all this work with no play. You need a day of rest to get away from all your projects and be inspired by other people and if you don't you will find yourself burned out. 

Which brings me to my next point is stop trying to do too much at once and trying to move forward to quickly because if you do you find your self-checking off everything in your list and missing precious moments in life because you focus on the next thing to get somewhere. Everything takes times and you need to build blocks of quality not quantity

Thirdly I can see frustration and stress in your journal and it almost like you have replaced gaming stymili with getting as many activities done in 1 day which something I think you need to slow down and think for a moment, What is the one you want to do the most now and start building blocks to get there then add more on top of that. 

Thanks for the advice. I have a different view when it comes to 'working' though. People usually view it negatively, like a chore, but I never looked at it that way. For me it's a process to grow my life into another level. Not saying I'm the hardest working person ever, as can be seen by these 'not doing shit for two days' periods. But my mentality is different. The work itself is a reward, in a sense. I always feel SO MUCH BETTER after a hard days of 'work', rather than a day of just chilling out. Whenever I gamed, it didn't make me relaxed, it just made me more tired and depressed! And that same way with random internet browsing / binge watching videos. Even if I hang out in the park with friends, I'm not really feeling as well as I would if I achieved some result in building the machine. Right now, I have a very clear vision of my life and what is actually giving me the most pleasure is going towards that vision, becoming that person. 

So it's not like I suffer when I work and then need to reward myself. In a sense it's the opposite - developing myself is the reward itself. I like the idea of 'work hard, play hard'. So when I take time to just enjoy myself, I don't want it to be something dumb like watching a movie - I would like to really go for some amazing experience like a party when I meet a ton of new people, some big event, a concert, traveling somewhere etc. THOSE are the precious moments, that I do indeed miss nowadays. That's because I'm not efficient enough with my time. But it's getting better, I am fully committed to constant growth and I don't let these short mess-ups let met down. 

And lastly in regard to the last point: yeah there's a lot of checkmarks in my journal, but I'm not really focusing on all of them, it's just that I like keeping stats. What I'm focusing on is the current habit and the previous habits, that's it. Everything else is optional. However, I did put in extra goals for daily productive hours, which was a mistake that put extra pressure on me and I will tone it down. 

So the argument I get is that I'm trying to go too fast. Given the vision I have right now however, I think it is appropriate. There are going to be days where I feel shit no matter if I go slow or fast, that's just the nature of internal growth.

EDIT: Appending a cheesy motivational image

Image may contain: one or more people, meme and text

Edited by JustTom

From my point of view, there is a difference between discomfort and exhaustion. When you're exhausted, that's the time to rest. When it's just an uncomfortable time - that is a big opportunity to grow. I think I'm a very aware person. I don't feel like I need to rest. I mean how much rest do people really need? 100% of my work is mental, so when I go to the gym, my mind rests. Or when I listen to an audiobook or music while biking home, that for me is resting. Watching a 10-minute pewdiepie video while eating dinner is resting. SLEEPING is resting, which is the reason I'm always aiming for 8 hours. This is not some affirmation trick I'm pulling on myself to force myself to work harder - this is what I genuinely feel like. In one of my early journal entries I stated that whenever I feel like I need to chill out, windoff after a long day, I will open up my music software and dabble around with sounds for fun - well, during this whole month of detox, I never felt like doing it once because I just really really want to build the machine instead. 

About hanging out with friends in the park... yeah. It does sound neurotic doesn't it? Haha. It's not that I wouldn't enjoy, it's that building my life gives me more pleasure right now. Part of why this is true is that in this city I don't have very close friends. We have a moderately big group of people as an inner circle, but with most it's really just hanging out. Except 1 or 2 friends, I have a very different mindset and things that I like. A very important, yet understated idea in personal development is being around people that inspire you and finding friends that you not only vibe well with, but also push you towards your goals and vice-versa. Perhaps even working on it together. I don't precisely know what I'm looking for here, but I know it's not the current state of things. There are more factors in play, but yeah... this one is complicated indeed.

good to know you have relaxed time  JustTom

I would recommend rereading your journal as you go along to see where you came from and where you're going, I've had to do it a couple of times myself just inspire myself again. 

• Like 1

Day 36 | Productive Hours: 11 | Focus: 80% | Current habit: Mission Statement (0/7)

The Rant

I've already ranted enough today lmao.

Additional Stats

8 Hours of Sleep: 0/1
No Morning Browsing: 0/1

Gym: 0/1
Sleep hours: 6

Action

Focus on doing the current habit no matter what.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

@Dannigan I know it's not what people usually do, but it fits me. I'm modelling the people that I admire and are successful. I personally don't think most mainstream methods of relaxation are a good form of resting in the long-term, but that's just me. My ultimate destination is to be able to relax just by meditating. I believe this can be the most powerful AND time efficient form of relaxation. But I've got a long way to go to get there hah. That being said, I will try to not worry as much about productive hours. 

Edited by JustTom
  • Like 1

This is my first time reading your journal. Great job your are over 36 days of your detox. It is so awesome that you can have 11 productive hour in one day!! You are really efficient and please don't mind i follow your journal, so that I can learn from you and push myself further. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 16030669g said:

This is my first time reading your journal. Great job your are over 36 days of your detox. It is so awesome that you can have 11 productive hour in one day!! You are really efficient and please don't mind i follow your journal, so that I can learn from you and push myself further. 

Thanks! Of course - the fact that some people actually read a paragraph or two here and there is very motivating to me. It's also good to read other people's journals and sometimes pitch in the conversation, I follow a few journals and check on people as well. But be careful, it can get addicting haha. 

1qqazl.jpg

Edited by JustTom
  • Like 1

Day 37 | Work Hours: 5 | Focus: 100% | Current habit: Mission Statement (0/7)

The Rant

To all the people telling me to chill out more - there you go. Made the best possible use of the time I had for hustle. Then I went to the gym and had a barbecue with classmates. Very fun, but yeah. I definitely need to meet more people haha. 

Additional Stats

Read Mission Statement: 1/1 (not printed)

Sleep hours: 9

Action

Read Mission Statement first thing in the morning! This habit is a big deal.

Edited by JustTom
  • Like 1

Day 38 | Work Hours: 5 | Focus: 80% | Current habit: Mission Statement (0/7)

The Rant

Additional Stats

Read Mission Statement: 0/1 (not printed)

Sleep hours: N/A

Action

Day 39 | Work Hours: 9 | Focus: 90% | Current habit: Mission Statement (0/7)

The Rant

Finally printed out that damn mission statement so I will start counting it towards the progress from now on.

Goals for the next 20 days:

• (est 8 days) Finish the 2 assignments
  • (est 7 days) Start and finish the one final project
  • (est 3 days) Prepare for the exam
  • Remaining days: Finish FBA course & start product research
  • June: Register the business 

During my research I realized that it will take more than 2 months to get my products manufactured and shipped, therefore it is highly preferable to start the cogs in the machine in June in order to launch right before September so that I can handle the launch week without worrying about school. Either that, or take my time and launch mid-October, which is the start of Q4 - this might go horribly wrong or absolutely amazing. 

Additional Stats

Read Mission Statement: 1/1 (not printed)

Sleep hours: N/A

Action

Be a good boy and return to what was working so well before - go to bed without devices, prepare the morning water/alarm/journal/mission statement, aim for 8 hours.

• Like 1

Day 40 | Work Hours: 0 | Focus: N/A | Current habit: Mission Statement (1/7)

The Rant

The same negative pattern again. Overslept, felt like shit, stayed home instead of heading out, wasted time, watched videos, stayed up late. Also, full disclosure: at the time of writing this, I am still downloading witcher 3. Same shit keeps repeating every 5-7 days lately(although downloading a game is a new one). 

Feeling very unconscious right now so I'm not even going to rant about what this all means. I'll just mention that the fact that my teammates are doing work and I'm not today is making me feel unbelievably anxious.

Additional Stats

Read Mission Statement: 1/1

Gym: 0/1
Ate healthy: 0/1
Sleep hours: 10

Action

I don't even know man. Think I need to talk to someone...

Edited by JustTom