NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

[HEALTH] How can I improve my diet during and after the detox?

Regular Robert

Since many fellow quitters change or improve their diet during and after the detox - also including @Cam Adair -, I thought it might be a good topic for the ATC-area. I would love to hear your experiences regarding your very own diets, whether it be veganism, fasting, ketogenic or whatever your tried.

I believe that it will help many others that ask themselves whether they should change their diet or whether there is a way to alter ones very own diet.
If you can, include some parts about emotions, cravings, weight loss, general energy levels, the ability to concentrate, hunger, sleep and anything that comes from the core of a human.

Thank you.

• Like 1

Tuning in to rep the low carb gang (keto gang keto gang keto gang)  also:

What made me take the leap and give this diet a go were incessant food cravings, heartburn and bloating. Not even junk food per se, but "healthy" things like fruit. I would keep eating fruit until bloated, or crave chips, or just feel annoyingly full after normal meals. Jumping over to a simple low carb diet fixed this.

Advantages I experienced personally:

• Drastically reduced or eliminated food cravings
  • Sustained energy even without food (I've hiked up mountains without breakfast)
  • Just generally feeling badass and sorted out when you see other chumps snacking on sugar and junk and knowing you dont need that shit
  • There's simply no OPTION of cheating and eating unclean, because it's exited your life completely and losing ketosis would feel shittier than eating junk feels good - it's black and white vs. the muddy grey area of "just try to eat clean"

What I eat

• One or two meals a day. Always the same meal. Yes, I've been eating the same meal every day since half a year. No, I don't mind. Yes, I still love it. It consists of:
  1. Broccoli and green beans, chopped up and fried in butter and coconut oil until soft. Grated mozarella or cheddar cheese chucked on top and melted in pan. Mixed italian herbs.
  2. 2-3 eggs, again with herbs and grated cheese, scrambled to make a cheesy scrambled omelette
  3. Nuts/seeds. Either almond flakes fried in butter and salted (only fry shortly, to keep soft and not create carcinogens), or raw almonds and pumpkin/sunflower seeds.
  4. Some raw paprika, and half or whole avocado. That's it!
  5. Sometimes I add fish.
  • Sugar free (stevia, erythritol or xylitol sweetened) dark chocolate throughout the day or to wake me up and energize me in the morning

I'm not super strict about this. At the start I really went ketogenic and stayed under 30g carbs a day. Now I'm very flexible, I just keep "low carb", which could mean I throw some fruit in there every now and then too.

Some more points:

• Nowadays, everything can be replaced. You have nut butters, coconut or nut milk, you have sweeteners, you have nut flours, you can even make potato mash, rice AND pizza (!) eg with CAUILIFLOWER instead of wheat. I make cauliflower mash for myself sometimes and I like it even more than potato mash. I've also made nutflour based cupcakes and brownies. Also had cauli-rice and cauliflower base pizza, both of which were delicous also. There really aren't any restrictions. Whatever you can think of, a lowcarb alternative is possible.

I might post a picture of what my meals look like later. Most people I meet comment on how surprisingly good they look.

Also, many people are concerned about weight loss or "not getting enough xyz". Western society has adopted a ludicrous fetish on macro calculations, counting calories, and getting all your xyz-infinity vitamins and minerals. Ask any gym-bro and he will tell you "CALORIES IN, CALORIES OUT BRO. JUST EAT BIG!" Well, I'm here to tell you this is total nonsense. Do you really think the human body is so simple as an in-out calculator? The human body is waaaaaaay for complex and nuanced than that. You can scientifically "expend" more calories than you are taking in, and still not lose weight. Because it's just not that simple. 

I've met fruitarians who eat nothing but fruit and looked perfectly healthy (and fatter than me). I've also met people (myself included), who ate 3000+ calories a day with minimal exertion and never gained a single pound. And I myself have not lost weight during low carb. Because my body is fine and natural as it is, and maintains that weight because it's the most efficient weight to be at for my purposes. Also, homeostasis. Same applies to "needing" every vitamin and superfood supplement under the sun. You don't. It's marketing. Although I do recommend taking vit D for europeans and maybe some iron and B complex for vegetarians. Just from what i've heard. I'm taking D, B and iron atm. But that's anecdotal and I don't notice an actual experiential difference. Wouldn't make a big deal out of it. Diet optimization becomes a completely and unnecessary and counter-productive compulsion at a point.

Edited by thehondasc00py
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There exist a lot of diets, methods and theories how to eat well.

Some contradict each other (low carb vs. low fat) and for all there is scientific background "proofing" that their style of eating is the best/healthiest/coolest etc. Their is too much information out there, for anyone not a nutrition expert to make sense of it. This makes the topic of eating really opinionated and hard to digest.

Another problem people with "bad" eating habits often face is guilt. If you aren't at your best form - and sometimes even then - people will talk about your weight and eating choices, and you will feel self-conscious because you don't "eat well" enough.Make yourself clear that what other people think isn't the problem. If you want to change your eating habits, this is something you do for yourself alone. In all seriousness: don't give a fuck what other people think in this area. It is your body and your life and you decide what you want.

I think a good approach is to try different things and watch your energy levels. If some style/cadence/type of eating helps you to feel energized over the day, go for it. This is the baseline of good eating. If you watch your energy levels you will see, that there is a big connection to your nutrition and the amount of water you drink. For example if I binge a bag of chips I feel depleted half an hour later. That's why I avoid eating a lot of junk-food.

If you take this approach of thinking in the effect of energy levels, will hopefully let you focus on what is good for you and not on what society, your girlfriend or you mother think is good for you. Then take it it from there.